Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Newbie: Eclipse/Qt/MinGW gdb failure(gdb 0xc0000135 error)
icon5.gif  Newbie: Eclipse/Qt/MinGW gdb failure [message #530173] Wed, 28 April 2010 17:54 Go to next message
CJ Roth is currently offline CJ RothFriend
Please help - I am unable to run any program in debug mode in Eclipse.

I recently installed Eclipse for C/C++ (build 20100218-1602), Qt (2010.02.1), MinGW (5.1.6, but with gcc updated to 4.5.0), Msys 1.0.11, and MinGW gdb v7.1.2 on a Windows XP Pro Sp3 machine.

I was able to build the AddressBook application from the QT tutorial. It runs fine in 'normal' mode, but in debug mode, it fails with the message "gdb: unknown target exception 0xc0000135 at 0x7c9666c6". The same error code is reported when trying to run other programs in debug mode within Eclipse.

In a command prompt window, I can run the AddressBook application in 'gdb' without any problem, but that defeats the whole purpose of trying to debug it within Eclipse.

In perusing the forums here, I have found entries from other people with this same exact issue. They were able to solve it by adding library path specifications to the PATH variable, but I've already done that. The only difference in my installation is that I have a newer version of gdb (7.1.2) and gcc (4.5.0).

The relevant lines from the gdb output in the Eclipse console are :

gdb-set environment LIBRARY C:\MinGW\lib;C:\qwt-5.2.1\lib;C:\Qt\2010.02.1\bin;C:\msys\1. 0\lib

gdb-set environment Path C:\MinGW\lib;C:\qwt-5.2.1\lib;C:\Qt\2010.02.1\qt\bin;C:\msys \1.0\lib;C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin/client;C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\WINDOWS\System32

gdb: unknown target exception 0xc0000135 at 0x7c9666c6

---
I'm at my wit's end. I've tried adjusting the order of the PATH library specifications, but nothing has helped.
Any other library specifications that I should add to the list?

My only other option I see right now is to downgrade the gcc installation to 4.4, matching the others who were able to successfully overcome this 0xc0000135 error hurdle.
Re: Newbie: Eclipse/Qt/MinGW gdb failure [message #530260 is a reply to message #530173] Thu, 29 April 2010 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
C:\Qt\2010.02.1\lib is missing in your PATH

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Newbie: Eclipse/Qt/MinGW gdb failure [message #530330 is a reply to message #530260] Thu, 29 April 2010 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have adjusted the PATH to include that too, but still no luck....

gdb-set environment Path C:\Qt\2010.02.1\qt\bin;C:\Qt\2010.02.1\qt\lib;C:\Qt\2010.02. 1\bin;C:\Qt\2010.02.1\lib;C:\qwt-5.2.1\lib;C:\msys\1.0\bin;C :\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW\lib;C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin/client;C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\WINDOWS\System32

gdb: unknown target exception 0xc0000135 at 0x7c9666c6

Is it possible that changing the order these are listed in PATH should have any effect?
I did happen to notice at least two DLLs (mingwm10.dll and libgcc-s_dw2-1.dll) exist in both C:\MinGW\bin and C:\Qt\2010.02.1\qt\bin. The MinGW versions are larger, and have a slightly more recent date.
Previously I tried it with the PATH MinGW dirs in front, but I'll have to redo that test, now that I have more Qt dirs.
Re: Newbie: Eclipse/Qt/MinGW gdb failure [message #530366 is a reply to message #530173] Thu, 29 April 2010 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A follow-up:

For the 'normal' run configuration of AddressBook, I have determined that the essential directories for PATH are C:\MinGW\bin and C:\Qt\2010.02.1\qt\bin, through a process of elimination. This is confirmed by the Dependency Walker program. As far as I can tell, the order of these within the PATH specification does not seem to matter. All other directories seem to be superfluous.

Still, the 'debug' run fails, with the same 0xc0000135 error.

Another item of confusion (for me) is about 'make' - Some say to use the 'make' from Msys (which is what I did), others say to use 'make' from MinGW. Would that possibly have any bearing on the gdb execution errors?
Re: Newbie: Eclipse/Qt/MinGW gdb failure [message #530547 is a reply to message #530366] Fri, 30 April 2010 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
For the 'normal' run configuration of AddressBook, I have determined that the essential directories for PATH are C:\MinGW\bin and C:\Qt\2010.02.1\qt\bin, through a process of elimination. This is confirmed by the Dependency Walker program. As far as I can tell, the order of these within the PATH specification does not seem to matter. All other directories seem to be superfluous.

To run/debug the application you need the MinGW and Qt DLLs. So the paths you mentioned seem to be correct.
Where do you set the PATH variable? Via Windows System properties or in Eclipse?
You can check the environment for the debug configuration:
1) Open the launch configuration (Menu Run->Debug Configurations...)
2) Select your debug configuration
3) select the tab called "Environment"
4) Click the button "Select..."
5) select PATH and check its value (C:\MinGW\bin and C:\Qt\2010.02.1\qt\bin should be there)

Another item of confusion (for me) is about 'make' - Some say to use the 'make' from Msys (which is what I did), others say to use 'make' from MinGW. Would that possibly have any bearing on the gdb execution errors?

That should not be the cause of the gdb execution errors.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Newbie: Eclipse/Qt/MinGW gdb failure [message #755853 is a reply to message #530366] Wed, 09 November 2011 20:00 Go to previous message
Grisch  is currently offline Grisch Friend
Does it work if you start gdb from the MinGW console window?
If so, in the minGW console type:
gdb <cr> path <cr>.
Compare the output with your system path and add the missing parts.
It should be something like:
C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\local\bin;C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW\msys\1.0\bin;
Then restart eclipse and try again.

Good luck!
Previous Topic:Re: How to get code completion
Next Topic:Getting standard error into Eclipse console?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 12:14:44 GMT 2024