Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Service Oriented Architecture » SOA Package & Project Deployment
SOA Package & Project Deployment [message #529247] Fri, 23 April 2010 15:07 Go to next message
Wm. Bainbridge is currently offline Wm. BainbridgeFriend
I downloaded the SOA package out of an interest in Swordfish, and find it extremely well put together and easy to use. It will quickly become my preferred way of writing SOA components, as soon as I can figure out a good way of deploying them to a lightweight, robust server app. I couldn't find deployment to production described anywhere in the Swordfish materials, and am hoping a simple, clear deployment path will be defined.

I've previously used dmServer for many of the same reasons I like SOA Package and Swordfish, but getting all the dependencies right in a complex project was extremely hard, to the point where I've had to back off doing new projects with it. The point here is, the SOA package is a great start at easily and quickly writing very solid SOA components, but widespread adoption will also depend on good, solid deployment paths and strategies.
Re: SOA Package & Project Deployment [message #530055 is a reply to message #529247] Wed, 28 April 2010 11:03 Go to previous message
Oliver Wolf is currently offline Oliver WolfFriend
Hi,

it's good to hear that your first experience using the Eclipse SOA package was a favorable one.

Actually, the topic of how to deploy Swordfish-based SOA components to a server runtime platform is something that we're currently working towards for the Helios release.

The idea is that we're going to have a deployment agent based on p2 on the server side and a WTP server adapter on the IDE side which makes the whole user experience pretty similar to what you might already be used to from web app development.

For the first release, we're targetting Swordfish-enabled Equinox runtimes, but dmServer (or Virgo, as it's going to be called at Eclipse) is definitely on the list of future runtimes we're going to support.

We expect to have the main bits ready for Helios M7 (May 5th), so please stay tuned.

Cheers,
Oliver

Wm. Bainbridge wrote on Fri, 23 April 2010 11:07
I downloaded the SOA package out of an interest in Swordfish, and find it extremely well put together and easy to use. It will quickly become my preferred way of writing SOA components, as soon as I can figure out a good way of deploying them to a lightweight, robust server app. I couldn't find deployment to production described anywhere in the Swordfish materials, and am hoping a simple, clear deployment path will be defined.

I've previously used dmServer for many of the same reasons I like SOA Package and Swordfish, but getting all the dependencies right in a complex project was extremely hard, to the point where I've had to back off doing new projects with it. The point here is, the SOA package is a great start at easily and quickly writing very solid SOA components, but widespread adoption will also depend on good, solid deployment paths and strategies.

Previous Topic:Welcome
Next Topic:SOA Package & Project Deployment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:07:49 GMT 2024