Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Memory Analyzer (MAT) » Attention writers of plug-ins for MAT - API changes
Attention writers of plug-ins for MAT - API changes [message #527145] Wed, 14 April 2010 09:01 Go to next message
Andrew Johnson is currently offline Andrew JohnsonFriend
Bug 299371 explains the possibility of MAT API changes ready for graduation.
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=299371

Bug 308310 explains the need for modifying the MAT API:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=308310

in this case to cope with huge arrays.

Changing the return type of getUsedHeapSize() etc. to long breaks binary compatibility of user written plug-ins, but will be a trivial/no source change and recompile to use the modified method in a 1.0 version of MAT. You could write code which would compile with either version, but it would not be binary compatible.

Adding a getShallowHeapSize() method and deprecating the old method keeps binary compatibility for existing user plug-ins, but to take advantage of the changes requires a recode to change uses of getUsedHeapSize() to getShallowHeapSize(), and then the new version won't work on old MAT 0.8 either. It also clutters the API.

Would writers of plug-ins for MAT like to comment?
Re: Attention writers of plug-ins for MAT - API changes [message #527895 is a reply to message #527145] Fri, 16 April 2010 19:52 Go to previous message
Erik BrangsFriend
Andrew Johnson
Would writers of plug-ins for MAT like to comment?

I am currently not doing any developing on my Memory Analyzer plugin because the project is finished, but I'll comment anyway. My plugin is currently not publicly available (and rightly so, because there are few flaws that really should be fixed) so the number of people affected by a possible adaption of my plugin to API changes is really low.

I think you should go ahead and make any changes to the API you deem necessary. I cannot speak for other writers of plugins but I was aware of the possibility of API changes for the 1.0 release and would have changed my plugin accordingly.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 April 2010 19:54]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:download MAT for RAP
Next Topic:Eclipse Application to generate reports
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 10:21:11 GMT 2024