Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » e4 app based on Contact demo has problem with IEclipseContext(e4 app based on Contact demo has problem with IEclipseContext)
e4 app based on Contact demo has problem with IEclipseContext [message #524501] Thu, 01 April 2010 08:02 Go to next message
David Wynter is currently offline David WynterFriend
Hi,

I cloned the Contacts demo for my own app. I get an error with the IEclipseContext on selecting from the ListView as follows:

Exception occurred
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Variable selection is not modifiable in the context Anonymous Context
	at org.eclipse.e4.core.services.internal.context.EclipseContext.internalModify(EclipseContext.java:499)
	at org.eclipse.e4.core.services.internal.context.EclipseContext.modify(EclipseContext.java:489)
	at com.hsbcib.grds.testui.views.ListViewer$1.selectionChanged(ListViewer.java:51)
	at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.Viewer$2.run(Viewer.java:162)
	at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable$1.run(SafeRunnable.java:128)
	at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:175)
	at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.Viewer.fireSelectionChanged(Viewer.java:160)
	at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.updateSelection(StructuredViewer.java:2132)
	at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.handleSelect(StructuredViewer.java:1160)
	at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$4.widgetSelected(StructuredViewer.java:1190)
	at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireSelectionEvent(OpenStrategy.java:228)
	at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$4(OpenStrategy.java:222)
	at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:389)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1050)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4037)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3628)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.internal.PartRenderingEngine$5.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:554)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.internal.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:478)
	at org.eclipse.e4.workbench.ui.internal.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:100)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.swt.internal.E4Application.start(E4Application.java:84)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:369)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:619)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:574)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1406)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1382)

the method looks like this

@Inject
	public ListViewer(Composite parent) {
		// Table composite (because of TableColumnLayout)
		final Composite tableComposite = new Composite(parent, SWT.NONE);
		tableComposite.setLayoutData(new GridData(SWT.FILL, SWT.FILL, true, true));
		final TableColumnLayout tableColumnLayout = new TableColumnLayout();
		tableComposite.setLayout(tableColumnLayout);

// Table viewer
		testCaseViewer = new TableViewer(tableComposite, SWT.FULL_SELECTION);
		testCaseViewer.getTable().setHeaderVisible(true);
		// contactsViewer.getTable().setLinesVisible(true);
		testCaseViewer.setComparator(new TestCaseViewerComparator());

testCaseViewer.addSelectionChangedListener(
			new ISelectionChangedListener() {
				public void selectionChanged(SelectionChangedEvent event) {
					IStructuredSelection selection = (IStructuredSelection)event.getSelection();
					context.modify(IServiceConstants.SELECTION, selection.getFirstElement());
				}
			});

The exception only occurs on the 2nd or later seelction of an item in the list. Unlike the Contacts demo the List only has one column. The difficulty with an @Inject is it is hard to see the larger context for a problem like this. Any suggestions?

Thx.

David

Re: e4 app based on Contact demo has problem with IEclipseContext [message #524601 is a reply to message #524501] Thu, 01 April 2010 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul Webster is currently offline Paul WebsterFriend

If you are using modify then your model has to list that variable in its
variables attribute. Have a look at the matching model entry in the
contacts demo for the ListViewer.

PW

--
Paul Webster
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform_Command_Framework
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Command_Core_Expressions
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menu_Contributions
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Menus_Extension_Mapping
http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse .platform.doc.isv/guide/workbench.htm

Re: e4 app based on Contact demo has problem with IEclipseContext [message #524615 is a reply to message #524601] Thu, 01 April 2010 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thx for that. I built my UI with the Workbench Designer and Workbenchmodel Editor. I did not see an entry for variables in these. It was not until I opened the Application.e4xmi in an XML editor did I see the variables element. Did I miss some documentation on this?

David
Re: e4 app based on Contact demo has problem with IEclipseContext [message #524876 is a reply to message #524601] Sat, 03 April 2010 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastian is currently offline SebastianFriend
Hi,

couldn't you use method declareModifiable(String name) of IEclipseContext?
This way you don't have to explicitly declare the variable in Appliction.e4xmi.

Sebastian
Re: e4 app based on Contact demo has problem with IEclipseContext [message #572576 is a reply to message #524601] Thu, 01 April 2010 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Thx for that. I built my UI with the Workbench Designer and Workbenchmodel Editor. I did not see an entry for variables in these. It was not until I opened the Application.e4xmi in an XML editor did I see the variables element. Did I miss some documentation on this?

David
Re: e4 app based on Contact demo has problem with IEclipseContext [message #572717 is a reply to message #524601] Sat, 03 April 2010 10:36 Go to previous message
Sebastian is currently offline SebastianFriend
Hi,

couldn't you use method declareModifiable(String name) of IEclipseContext?
This way you don't have to explicitly declare the variable in Appliction.e4xmi.

Sebastian
Previous Topic:DI Question
Next Topic:Bye bye Eclipse?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:27:02 GMT 2024