Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Running Minimal Standalone(Running Minimal Standalone)
Running Minimal Standalone [message #523338] Thu, 25 March 2010 23:31 Go to next message
Ole Ersoy is currently offline Ole ErsoyFriend
Hi,

I followed the instructions for running a minimal infocenter standalone.

Platform Plug-in Developer Guide > Programmer's Guide > User assistance support > Help > Configuration/setup > [Optional] Installing a minimal stand-alone help system

When I try to start the infocenter using the minimal plugins directory, I get the following exception:

java.lang.Exception: Plugins directory /home/ole/Documents/help/eclipse/plugins does not contain a valid startup jar.  Pass a correct -eclipsehome option
        at org.eclipse.help.internal.standalone.Eclipse.getStartupJar(Eclipse.java:182)
        at org.eclipse.help.internal.standalone.Eclipse.prepareJavaCommand(Eclipse.java:76)
        at org.eclipse.help.internal.standalone.Eclipse.prepareCommand(Eclipse.java:48)
        at org.eclipse.help.internal.standalone.Eclipse.run(Eclipse.java:87)

Is it possible to point the infocenter at a plugins directory that is different from the plugins directory contained in the eclipse folder? Something like -helpPluginDirectory /home/ole/help/onlyHelpPlugins

TIA,
- Ole
Re: Running Minimal Standalone [message #523911 is a reply to message #523338] Mon, 29 March 2010 19:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
Standalone help uses the eclipse launcher and needs to know where to find that. You can specify the location using the eclipsehome parameter. Below is the documentation for this parameter

-eclipsehome eclipseInstallPath - specifies Eclipse installation directory. This directory is a parent to "plugins" directory and eclipse executable. The option must be provided, when current directory from which infocenter is launched, is not the same as Eclipse installation directory.
Re: Running Minimal Standalone [message #524087 is a reply to message #523911] Tue, 30 March 2010 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I tried changing the startup line to this:
java -classpath /home/ole/Documents/help/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.help.ba se_3.4.v20090526.jar org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help -command start -noexec -eclipsehome /home/ole/Documents/infocenter/eclipse -port 46000 -host 127.0.0.1

And now it runs, but it when I look at the URL http://127.0.0.1:46000/help/index.jsp all the help from the eclipsehome location is included in the infocenter. So it seems that instead of reading the help content from the classpath setting, it is now reading it from eclipsehome.

Is there a way to start up a minimal eclipse infocenter with just the minimal jars and only the help plugins that are user deployed? Also is this a "Documentation bug?". My understanding of the documentation is that the minimal recreated eclipse plugin directory should have had everything needed to run the infocenter?

Thanks again,
- Ole
Re: Running Minimal Standalone [message #524088 is a reply to message #523911] Tue, 30 March 2010 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

java -classpath /home/ole/Documents/help/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.help.ba se_3.4.v20090526.jar org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help -command start -noexec -eclipsehome /home/ole/Documents/infocenter/eclipse -port 46000 -host 127.0.0.1

And now it runs, but it when I look at the URL http://127.0.0.1:46000/help/index.jsp all the help from the eclipsehome location is included in the infocenter. So it seems that instead of reading the help content from the classpath setting, it is now reading it from eclipsehome.

Is there a way to start up a minimal eclipse infocenter with just the minimal jars and only the help plugins that are user deployed? Also is this a "Documentation bug?". My understanding of the documentation is that the minimal recreated eclipse plugin directory should have had everything needed to run the infocenter?

Thanks again,
- Ole
Re: Running Minimal Standalone [message #524422 is a reply to message #524088] Wed, 31 March 2010 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried the steps in the documentation and also could not get this to work. There is a bug open on this issue, https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=287117 - I will follow up in the bug report once I have figured out what the problem is.
Re: Running Minimal Standalone [message #525750 is a reply to message #524422] Wed, 07 April 2010 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Super - I'll keep an eye on the bug reports and test out fixes. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help (Update documentation, etc.). Also, I was thinking that this could be made simpler by adding a helpPluginsHome parameter. Then the documentation would just say this:

Run eclipse standalone passing the helpPluginsHome parameter pointing to the workspace with the help plugins.

I'm running Fedora, and would love to be able to start the infocenter like this:

java -classpath /usr/lib64/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.4.v200905 26.jar org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help -command start -noexec -helpPluginsHome /home/ole/workspace -port 46000 -host 127.0.0.1

If this sounds like a good idea I'll add the notes to a bugzilla ticket, or start a new one, which ever is better.

Thanks,
- Ole

Re: Running Minimal Standalone [message #535537 is a reply to message #523338] Mon, 24 May 2010 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Pineger is currently offline Richard PinegerFriend
Hi, this is slightly related.

I need to run a minimal standalone without the need for start and stop scripts. In other words, I want users to be able to click the cross in the top-right of the browser and for it to close cleanly, including all processes, as if the stop script had been invoked. Does anyone have a suggestion for how to achieve this?

Richard
Re: Running Minimal Standalone [message #535567 is a reply to message #535537] Mon, 24 May 2010 14:19 Go to previous message
Hi,

The help system is packaged as a WAR file now:

http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse .platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help_war.htm

So you could deploy as described, and then just add the capabilities for starting and stopping. For an example see the Tomcat Manager Web App. It can start and stop deployed web apps per the manager page by clicking on start/stop links.

HTH,
- Ole
Re: Running Minimal Standalone [message #623998 is a reply to message #523911] Tue, 30 March 2010 15:59 Go to previous message
Hi,

Thanks again,
- Ole
Re: Running Minimal Standalone [message #623999 is a reply to message #523911] Tue, 30 March 2010 16:00 Go to previous message
Hi,

Thanks again,
- Ole
Re: Running Minimal Standalone [message #624085 is a reply to message #623999] Wed, 31 March 2010 20:51 Go to previous message
I tried the steps in the documentation and also could not get this to work. There is a bug open on this issue, https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=287117 - I will follow up in the bug report once I have figured out what the problem is.
Re: Running Minimal Standalone [message #624086 is a reply to message #624085] Wed, 07 April 2010 16:37 Go to previous message
Super - I'll keep an eye on the bug reports and test out fixes. Please let me know if there's anything else I can do to help (Update documentation, etc.). Also, I was thinking that this could be made simpler by adding a helpPluginsHome parameter. Then the documentation would just say this:

Run eclipse standalone passing the helpPluginsHome parameter pointing to the workspace with the help plugins.

I'm running Fedora, and would love to be able to start the infocenter like this:

java -classpath /usr/lib64/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.4.v200905 26.jar org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help -command start -noexec -helpPluginsHome /home/ole/workspace -port 46000 -host 127.0.0.1

If this sounds like a good idea I'll add the notes to a bugzilla ticket, or start a new one, which ever is better.

Thanks,
- Ole
Previous Topic:Error on a Java class
Next Topic:Is the infocenter supported on Firefox 3.5?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:06:25 GMT 2024