Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Memory Analyzer (MAT) » Eclipse Application to generate reports
Eclipse Application to generate reports [message #520908] Mon, 15 March 2010 17:32 Go to next message
Aurélien Pupier is currently offline Aurélien PupierFriend

Hi,

Automatic generation of reports is really great. (leaks, top consumers, ...)

I think that it would be great that this feature is available via eclipse application.

The idea is to be able to generate these reports in Continuous Integration for instance.

is it already existing? already planned? What will be the difficulty to implement that?

Regards,

Aurélien Pupier - Red Hat
Senior Software Engineer in Fuse Tooling team
Re: Eclipse Application to generate reports [message #521062 is a reply to message #520908] Tue, 16 March 2010 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Krum Tsvetkov is currently offline Krum TsvetkovFriend
Hi,

to some extend what you ask for is available.
Look at the <mat>/ParseHeapDump script. It just calls MemoryAnalyzer with a specific application:

"%_DIRNAME%\MemoryAnalyzer.exe" -consoleLog -application org.eclipse.mat.api.parse %1 %2

Thus the parsing and generating a report can be done without GUI, and could be included in some process.

However, I think this is still very limited. The tool still only helps you parse/analyze the heap dumps, but not to trigger them in the proper moment. We are currently working to enable triggering heap dumps from the GUI (see bug https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=229449). May be at a later stage the APIs can be used to trigger a heap dump as a step in some process.

Current development plans are focused on finishing some smaller features and graduating out of the incubator phase.
One area to develop after this (i.e. not right now but in near future) could be to try and integrate MAT closer within testing infrastructure (e.g. junit) - both in the IDE and in a continuous integration scenario. This is one dicection I can see for the tool and I'll be investigating into it soon. Do you (and probably other people who happen to read the post) find such an idea useful?
Re: Eclipse Application to generate reports [message #521083 is a reply to message #520908] Tue, 16 March 2010 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Great, I will take a look at the parse application asap.

And of course, to my POV, integrate MAT in testing infrastructure is a powerful and useful feature!!

Re: Eclipse Application to generate reports [message #528237 is a reply to message #520908] Mon, 19 April 2010 19:31 Go to previous message

I tried it!!

But unfortunately it seems that it only parses the .hprof. I found some *.index file but no *.zip.

In fact, when I launch the script, a new shell opened and I see that it begins to parse. But at a time, I quickly see a stacktrace and the shell closes immediatly.
There is nothing in the .log.

I don't know how I can see the stacktrace.
I tried with suspects, overview and top_components: same result.
i'm using sun jvm 1.6u18.

Regards,

Previous Topic:Attention writers of plug-ins for MAT - API changes
Next Topic:MAT enhancement: diff
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:17:01 GMT 2024