Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Buddy policy doubt
Buddy policy doubt [message #517823] Tue, 02 March 2010 09:41 Go to next message
Vijay RajFriend
I got to know the significance of buddy policy when i had a class loader issue with a (spring,hessian,weblogic) kind of plugins shared across plugins...

That too in an application in which functionalities are contributed by many diffrent teams by contributing different set of plugins...

My doubt is why doesn't the same issue come up with SWT, JFace, gef,gmf, *.ui plugins which are also shared????

---------------------
why, mr. Anderson, why, why do you persist?
Because I Choose To.
Regards,
Vijay
Re: Buddy policy doubt [message #517855 is a reply to message #517823] Tue, 02 March 2010 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Golovanov is currently offline Michael GolovanovFriend
Hi

The main reason why buddy loading needed is classloaders for each plugin in RCP, not the distributed development teams. Issue is in plugin engine architecture itself. If you dont use plugins - you dont need buddy loading

Regards, Michael
Re: Buddy policy doubt [message #517860 is a reply to message #517855] Tue, 02 March 2010 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vijay RajFriend
Thanks Michael..

i know the need for buddy policy and working of plugins and class loaders in plugin....

my doubt is why in certain cases it is needed and certain it is not needed..

Quote:
I got to know the significance of buddy policy when i had a class loader issue with a (spring,hessian,weblogic) kind of plugins shared across plugins...

That too in an application in which functionalities are contributed by many different teams by contributing different set of plugins...

My doubt is why doesn't the same issue come up with SWT, JFace, gef,gmf, *.ui plugins which are also shared????

---------------------
Because I Choose To.
Regards,
Vijay
Re: Buddy policy doubt [message #517928 is a reply to message #517860] Tue, 02 March 2010 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Golovanov is currently offline Michael GolovanovFriend
The main use case of buddy loading is integrate into eclipse application third party libs that need classes from other plugins and you dont know all dependencies graph/

For example, hibernate use domain classes placed in multiple plugins and depedencies cannot be described at hibernate inegration time (this activity occurs on construction concrete application) or you want place spring beans on plubins

Eclipse has extension points as a mechanism of delegating implementations, but third party pure java libs dont use it.

Regards, Michael
Re: Buddy policy doubt [message #518002 is a reply to message #517928] Tue, 02 March 2010 17:57 Go to previous message
Vijay RajFriend
Thanks Michael...

I got it now....

where ever there is context class loading buddy policy is needed...

hybernate,spring,weblogic,hessian need loading of classes which may be in other plugins....

---------------------
Because I Choose To.
Regards,
Vijay
Previous Topic:cannot run application on mac os x
Next Topic:Interrupt the UI Thread
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:46:52 GMT 2024