Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson
Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #517256] Fri, 26 February 2010 17:13 Go to next message
Ralf Ebert is currently offline Ralf EbertFriend
This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

Following up on

http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/eclipsercp/rcp_builds/
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&th=160977& amp;start=0&

here's how you can archive and re-use a target platform in
Buckminster+Hudson builds. Thanks to Johannes Utzig for providing the
missing piece of the puzzle!

The idea is to use two jobs, one to fetch and archive the target
platform and a 2nd one that uses this pre-fetched target platform. This
has the advantage that you control when the target platform is fetched,
the online software sites are only used when you run the target job.
This is a bit faster and decouples your actual build jobs from the
software sites:

- Add a .target file to your project, referring only software sites
(see Preferences > Plug-in Development > Target Platform, esp. "Move"
button to save a existing target definition to a file)
- Create a new freestyle job for fetching the target platform.
Configure it to import your project from the VCS.
- Add a "Run Buckminster" step to configure the target platform:

importtargetdefinition -A '${WORKSPACE}/com.example.mail.build/rcp.target'

- Check "Archive and publish an Eclipse Target Platform". Specify
".metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool" as path.
- Run the job.
- Create a 2nd freestyle build job and configure your project build.
Choose the target platform in your "Run Buckminster" steps.

Actually it would be cool if you could tell the importtargetdefinition
command to save the provisioned target platform for late re-use to some
dedicated folder, I created a bug for such a feature:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=304062

Greetings,

Ralf

--
http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/
Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">
<meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css">
<title></title>
<meta name="Generator" content="Cocoa HTML Writer">
<meta name="CocoaVersion" content="949.54">
<style type="text/css">
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 16.0px TheSansMono}
p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 16.0px TheSansMono; min-height: 17.0px}
p.p3 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Courier}
p.p4 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 16.0px TheSansMono; color: #808080}
span.s1 {font: 12.0px Courier}
</style>
</head>
<body>
<p class="p1">Following up on</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p1">http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/eclipsercp/rcp_builds/</p>
<p class="p1">http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&amp;th=160977&amp;start=0&amp;</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p1">here's how you can archive and re-use a target platform in Buckminster+Hudson builds. Thanks to Johannes Utzig for providing the missing piece of the puzzle!</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p1">The idea is to use two jobs, one to fetch and archive the target platform and a 2nd one that uses this pre-fetched target platform. This has the advantage that you control when the target platform is fetched, the online software sites are only used when you run the target job. This is a bit faster and decouples your actual build jobs from the software sites:</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p1">- Add a .target file to your project, referring only software sites (see Preferences &gt; Plug-in Development &gt; Target Platform, esp. "Move" button to save a existing target definition to a file)</p>
<p class="p1">- Create a new freestyle job for fetching the target platform. Configure it to import your project from the VCS.</p>
<p class="p1">- Add a "Run Buckminster" step to configure the target platform:</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p3">importtargetdefinition -A '${WORKSPACE}/com.example.mail.build/rcp.target'</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p1">- Check "Archive and publish an Eclipse Target Platform". Specify ".metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool" as path.</p>
<p class="p1">- Run the job.</p>
<p class="p1">- Create a 2nd freestyle build job and configure your project build. Choose the target platform in your "Run Buckminster" steps.</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p1">Actually it would be cool if you could tell the <span class="s1">importtargetdefinition</span> command to save the provisioned target platform for late re-use to some dedicated folder, I created a bug for such a feature: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=304062</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p1">Greetings,</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p1">Ralf</p>
<p class="p2"><br></p>
<p class="p4">--<span class="Apple-converted-space">
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #520462 is a reply to message #517256] Fri, 12 March 2010 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan  is currently offline Stephan Friend
Hi Ralf

I like this approach. The problem I have is that my target not only contains Software Sites but also a directory location (to the delta pack). In this case, the bundle pool does not contain the launchers and the published target platform is incomplete. I believe there is no Software Site for the delta pack, isn't it? Are you aware of another (hopefully not too complex) approach to include the delta pack?

Cheers, Stephan

Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #546017 is a reply to message #520462] Fri, 09 July 2010 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Stephan wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 08:45
Hi Ralf

I like this approach. The problem I have is that my target not only contains Software Sites but also a directory location (to the delta pack). In this case, the bundle pool does not contain the launchers and the published target platform is incomplete. I believe there is no Software Site for the delta pack, isn't it? Are you aware of another (hopefully not too complex) approach to include the delta pack?

Stephan,

I don't think you need the delta pack at all. You can just add the Eclipse Platform Launchers to your .target. Usual reminder that you have to uncheck Include Required Software and check "Include All Environments".
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #547927 is a reply to message #517256] Tue, 20 July 2010 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Dumitrescu is currently offline Vlad DumitrescuFriend
Hi!

Thanks a lot for this info, but I can't get it to work: the archiving step reports

[workspace] $ /proj/uz/erlide/jdk1.6.0_16/bin/java -Dbuckminster.output.root=/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/buckminster.output -Dbuckminster.temp.root=/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/buckminster.temp -jar /proj/uz/erlide/buckminster/plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715.jar -application org.eclipse.buckminster.cmdline.headless -data /home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace --loglevel debug -S /home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/commands.txt
importtargetdefinition '-A' '/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace//org.erlide.site/sdk.target'
Doing full workspace refresh
Waiting for jobs to end
Archiving artifacts
ERROR: No artifacts found that match the file pattern ".metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool". Configuration error?
ERROR: '.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool' doesn't match anything: '.metadata' exists but not '.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.bundle_pool'

This is the contents of .metadata/.plugins/org.erlide.pde.core:

/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.cache
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.cache/clean-cache.properties
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.local_targets
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.local_targets/1279613390308.target
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.local_targets/1279613634290.target
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.local_targets/1279613634280.target
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.local_targets/1279613655131.target
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/0.target
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/0.target/.pluginInfo
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/0.target/.lazy
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/0.target/.state
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.extensions
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.extensions/.manager
/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.pde.core/.extensions/.manager/.fileTableLock

Any ideas as to what may be wrong in my setup?

regards,
Vlad
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #547953 is a reply to message #547927] Tue, 20 July 2010 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig is currently offline Johannes UtzigFriend
Hi Vlad,

There seems to be an extra / in the path to your target definition:
'/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace//org.erli de.site/sdk.target'

Maybe that causes the resolution to fail somehow because the bundle pool
was obviously not created.

What does your target file refer to? Is it update sites or file system
locations? The later wouldn't create a bundle pool in your workspace as
far as I know.

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #547956 is a reply to message #547953] Tue, 20 July 2010 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

The extra slash shouldn't be a problem (it's there in other paths and they work). I will try removing it, to be sure.

The target spec refers to update sites.

regards,
Vlad
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #547967 is a reply to message #547956] Tue, 20 July 2010 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried without that slash and the result is the same.

The import of the target seems to go well,

importtargetdefinition '-A' '/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/org.erlide.site/sdk.target'
Waiting for jobs to end
listtargetdefinitions
Using workspace at file:/home/eshadeln/.hudson/jobs/bucky_fetch/workspace/ ...
  Eclipse 3.5.2 + erlide 0.8.1 : linux,gtk,x86/en_US
  Running Platform             : linux,gtk,x86/en_US
  Target Platform              : linux,gtk,x86/en_US
* Eclipse 3.5.2 + erlide 0.8.1 : linux,gtk,x86/en_US
Waiting for jobs to end

It's just that the respective features and plugins are put in another place... Could it be that it's 3.5 and not 3.6?

Thanks,
Vlad
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #547977 is a reply to message #547967] Tue, 20 July 2010 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am 20.07.2010 11:44, schrieb Vlad Dumitrescu:
> It's just that the respective features and plugins are put in another
> place... Could it be that it's 3.5 and not 3.6?
So the plugins and features from the target definition do appear
somewhere in your workspace but at another location?
I don't know if the place for the bundle pool has been changed from 3.5
to 3.6 but it might well be since this is internal p2/pde stuff.
But if your plugins and features get downloaded somewhere into the
workspace, then you can just correct the archiving path, right?

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #547981 is a reply to message #547977] Tue, 20 July 2010 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Utzig wrote on Tue, 20 July 2010 06:06
Am 20.07.2010 11:44, schrieb Vlad Dumitrescu:
> It's just that the respective features and plugins are put in another
> place... Could it be that it's 3.5 and not 3.6?
So the plugins and features from the target definition do appear
somewhere in your workspace but at another location?

Sorry, what I meant was that .bundle_pool doesn't exist, but listtargetdefinitions finds something, so I guess that the features and plugins have to be somewhere, but I don't know where... I ran "find" in every place where I could think of, without success.

Hmmm, one thought: maybe if the versions are the same as the ones in the running platform, then no .bundle_pool is created... will test that.

Thanks for the help,
Vlad

Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #547984 is a reply to message #547981] Tue, 20 July 2010 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am 20.07.2010 12:35, schrieb Vlad Dumitrescu:
>
> Hmmm, one thought: maybe if the versions are the same as the ones in the
> running platform, then no .bundle_pool is created... will test that.

That's possible, I don't know, but aren't you running a simple headless
buckminster? That shouldn't contain much of anything so where is the
rest of the Target Platform?
The update sites you're using, are they using a HTTP scheme, or a file:/
scheme for the update sites in your target file?
If it's a file scheme then it might be smart enough not to download
anything.

Best regards,
Johannes
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #548000 is a reply to message #547984] Tue, 20 July 2010 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Hmmm, one thought: maybe if the versions are the same as the ones in the running platform, then no .bundle_pool is created... will test that.

Nope, didn't help.

I give up for the time being and will build a target platform by hand.

(BTW, the update sites are http://)

Thanks again for the help!
/Vlad
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #548450 is a reply to message #548000] Wed, 21 July 2010 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Hallgren is currently offline Thomas HallgrenFriend
The latest Buckminster version (published today) has an improved
validation checking for the importtarget command. Perhaps it can be helpful.

Regards,
Thomas Hallgren

On 07/20/2010 01:21 PM, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
> Quote:
>> Hmmm, one thought: maybe if the versions are the same as the ones in
>> the running platform, then no .bundle_pool is created... will test that.
>
>
> Nope, didn't help.
>
> I give up for the time being and will build a target platform by hand.
>
> (BTW, the update sites are http://)
>
> Thanks again for the help!
> /Vlad
>
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #550086 is a reply to message #548450] Thu, 29 July 2010 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Kravets is currently offline Alex KravetsFriend
I tried this approach, but it does not work in my case. I am building Eclipse 3.4 product using buckminster 3.5 and 3.4 target platform. When I use Ralf's approach I get errors similar to this one
INFO:  setpref 'targetPlatformPath=/home/akravets2/.hudson/jobs/eclipse 3.4 targetPlatform/builds/2010-07-29_01-56-29/archive//targetPlatform'
targetPlatformPath set to the value '/home/akravets2/.hudson/jobs/eclipse 3.4 targetPlatform/builds/2010-07-29_01-56-29/archive//targetPlatform'
INFO:  import '/home/akravets2/.hudson/jobs/buckminster.tp/workspace//com.iwaysoftware.integration.tools.product/pluto.cquery'
WARNING [0000] : Component request org.eclipse.core.expressions:osgi.bundle/[3.4.1.r342_v20081203-0800,3.4.1.r342_v20081203-0800] is inconflict with request org.eclipse.core.expressions:osgi.bundle/[3.4.100,4.0.0)
WARNING [0000] : Component request org.eclipse.ui:osgi.bundle/[3.4.2.M20090204-0800,3.4.2.M20090204-0800] is inconflict with request org.eclipse.ui:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
WARNING [0000] : Component request org.eclipse.core.runtime:osgi.bundle/[3.4.0.v20080512,3.4.0.v20080512] is inconflict with request org.eclipse.core.runtime:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
WARNING [0000] : Component request org.eclipse.ui.workbench:osgi.bundle/[3.4.2.M20090127-1700,3.4.2.M20090127-1700] is inconflict with request org.eclipse.ui.workbench:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
WARNING [0000] : Component request org.eclipse.swt:osgi.bundle/[3.4.2.v3452b,3.4.2.v3452b] is inconflict with request org.eclipse.swt:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
WARNING [0000] : Component request org.eclipse.jface:osgi.bundle/[3.4.2.M20090107-0800,3.4.2.M20090107-0800] is inconflict with request org.eclipse.jface:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
WARNING [0000] : Component request org.eclipse.osgi:osgi.bundle/[3.4.3.R34x_v20081215-1030,3.4.3.R34x_v20081215-1030] is inconflict with request org.eclipse.osgi:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
WARNING [0000] : Component request org.eclipse.equinox.common:osgi.bundle/[3.4.0.v20080421-2006,3.4.0.v20080421-2006] is inconflict with request org.eclipse.equinox.common:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
WARNING [0000] : Component request org.eclipse.jface.databinding:osgi.bundle/[1.2.1.M20080827-0800a,1.2.1.M20080827-0800a] is inconflict with request org.eclipse.jface.databinding:osgi.bundle/[1.3.0,2.0.0)
WARNING [0000] : Component request org.eclipse.core.commands:osgi.bundle/[3.4.0.I20080509-2000,3.4.0.I20080509-2000] is inconflict with request org.eclipse.core.commands:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
WARNING [0000] : Component request org.eclipse.core.databinding:osgi.bundle/[1.1.1.M20080827-0800b,1.1.1.M20080827-0800b] is inconflict with request org.eclipse.core.databinding:osgi.bundle/[1.2.0,2.0.0)
INFO:  Import complete.
INFO:  perform 'com.iwaysoftware.integration.tools.product#buckminster.clean'
No component named org.eclipse.core.commands:osgi.bundle/[3.4.0.I20080509-2000,3.4.0.I20080509-2000] is known to Buckminster
Archiving artifacts
Finished: FAILURE

But when I switch to importtargetdefiniton in commands everything works fine. What could be the problem?

thanks,
Alex
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #550089 is a reply to message #550086] Thu, 29 July 2010 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Alex,

I fixed a bug in this area very recently. What version of Buckminster are you running?

You seem to have a lot of conflicting dependencies in your workspace. From Buckminster's standpoint, that should be OK
and all bundles should be provisioned into the target platform regardless. A build that creates features with those
conflicts will however not be possible to install when the conflicting bundles are marked as singletons. A majority of
the Eclipse plugins are singletons since that's a requirement when using Eclipse extension points. I know for sure that
the first bundle that is reported as a WARNING, the org.eclipse.core.expressions, is a singleton.

- thomas

On 07/29/2010 08:12 AM, Alex wrote:
> I tried this approach, but it does not work in my case. I am building
> Eclipse 3.4 product using buckminster 3.5 and 3.4 target platform. When
> I use Ralf's approach I get errors similar to this one
>
> INFO: setpref 'targetPlatformPath=/home/akravets2/.hudson/jobs/eclipse
> 3.4 targetPlatform/builds/2010-07-29_01-56-29/archive//targetPla tform'
> targetPlatformPath set to the value
> '/home/akravets2/.hudson/jobs/eclipse 3.4
> targetPlatform/builds/2010-07-29_01-56-29/archive//targetPla tform'
> INFO: import
> '/home/akravets2/.hudson/jobs/buckminster.tp/workspace//com. iwaysoftware.integration.tools.product/pluto.cquery'
>
> WARNING [0000] : Component request
> org.eclipse.core.expressions:osgi.bundle/[3.4.1.r342_v200812 03-0800,3.4.1.r342_v20081203-0800]
> is inconflict with request
> org.eclipse.core.expressions:osgi.bundle/[3.4.100,4.0.0)
> org.eclipse.ui:osgi.bundle/[3.4.2.M20090204-0800,3.4.2.M2009 0204-0800]
> is inconflict with request org.eclipse.ui:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
> org.eclipse.core.runtime:osgi.bundle/[3.4.0.v20080512,3.4.0. v20080512]
> org.eclipse.core.runtime:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
> org.eclipse.ui.workbench:osgi.bundle/[3.4.2.M20090127-1700,3 .4.2.M20090127-1700]
> org.eclipse.ui.workbench:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
> org.eclipse.swt:osgi.bundle/[3.4.2.v3452b,3.4.2.v3452b] is inconflict
> with request org.eclipse.swt:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
> org.eclipse.jface:osgi.bundle/[3.4.2.M20090107-0800,3.4.2.M2 0090107-0800] is
> inconflict with request org.eclipse.jface:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
> org.eclipse.osgi:osgi.bundle/[3.4.3.R34x_v20081215-1030,3.4. 3.R34x_v20081215-1030]
> is inconflict with request org.eclipse.osgi:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
> org.eclipse.equinox.common:osgi.bundle/[3.4.0.v20080421-2006 ,3.4.0.v20080421-2006]
> org.eclipse.equinox.common:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
> org.eclipse.jface.databinding:osgi.bundle/[1.2.1.M20080827-0 800a,1.2.1.M20080827-0800a]
> org.eclipse.jface.databinding:osgi.bundle/[1.3.0,2.0.0)
> org.eclipse.core.commands:osgi.bundle/[3.4.0.I20080509-2000, 3.4.0.I20080509-2000]
> org.eclipse.core.commands:osgi.bundle/[3.5.0,4.0.0)
> org.eclipse.core.databinding:osgi.bundle/[1.1.1.M20080827-08 00b,1.1.1.M20080827-0800b]
> org.eclipse.core.databinding:osgi.bundle/[1.2.0,2.0.0)
> INFO: Import complete.
> INFO: perform
> 'com.iwaysoftware.integration.tools.product#buckminster.clea n'
> No component named
> org.eclipse.core.commands:osgi.bundle/[3.4.0.I20080509-2000, 3.4.0.I20080509-2000]
> is known to Buckminster
> Archiving artifacts
> Finished: FAILURE
>
> But when I switch to importtargetdefiniton in commands everything works
> fine. What could be the problem?
>
> thanks,
> Alex
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #550237 is a reply to message #550089] Thu, 29 July 2010 15:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Thomas,

I am using 1.1.350.r11409.

What I don't quite understand is how come when I switch from referencing target platform from tp job to importtargetdefintion in commands the build is successful. It's like target platform that is being build is 3.5 but since I am building for 3.4 some plugins cannot be found. I might be wrong in this assumption though.

thanks,
Alex

[Updated on: Thu, 29 July 2010 16:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #550624 is a reply to message #550237] Tue, 03 August 2010 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On 07/29/2010 05:09 PM, Alex wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> I am using 1.1.350.r11409.
>
In that case I strongly recommend that you upgrade to what's published at our current update sites:

http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/headless-3.6
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/buckminster/updates-3.6

> What I don't quite understand is how come when I switch from referencing
> target platform from tp job to importtargetdefintion in commands the
> build is successful. It's like target platform that is being build is
> 3.5 but since I am building for 3.4 some plugins cannot be found. I
> might be wrong in this assumption though.
>
Are you using an explicit target platform using a preference setting? If not, Buckminster will use the runtime as its
default. In most cases (your case in particular) that's bad.

- thomas
Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #551008 is a reply to message #550624] Wed, 04 August 2010 19:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Thomas,

Switching to 3.6 made all the difference.

thanks for your help,
Alex
icon14.gif  Re: Mini-Tutorial: Fetching, archiving and re-using a target platform with Buckminster/Hudson [message #788895 is a reply to message #517256] Thu, 02 February 2012 10:54 Go to previous message
Volker Stolz is currently offline Volker StolzFriend
Great tip Ralf, the .bundle_pool-trick helped me a lot to save build-time further downstream in Hudson!

-Volker

[Updated on: Thu, 02 February 2012 10:54]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Problems with source feature generation/resolution
Next Topic:Git checkout appears to get wrong branch
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:36:26 GMT 2024