Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Cannot setup trivial remote development
Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #515815] Sun, 21 February 2010 11:25 Go to next message
Happy.Cerberus is currently offline Happy.CerberusFriend
I'm having problem with trivial remote development. I have a local and a remote Linux machine which I want to develop on. I want to access it simply over SSH (no gdb server or any other weird stuff) and I'm having problem with setting up the project.

I managed to setup the remote machine in the remote system explorer, but how do I setup a project? I simply want the exactly same setup that I use for local project, only not executed locally but on the remote system using ssh.
Re: Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #515823 is a reply to message #515815] Sun, 21 February 2010 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
Here you can find detailed instructions.
http://www.eclipse.org/ptp/documentation/2.1/org.eclipse.ptp .rdt.doc.user/html/gettingstarted/creating_a_remote_project. html

You must install the necessary plugins beforehand (C/C++ Remote...).

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #515835 is a reply to message #515823] Sun, 21 February 2010 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm confused. What is the RDT server? Is it required?

I need a setup of remote development that will work over SSH (ssh, scp, sftp) only, with no extra software (beyond development tools - gcc, gdb) running on the server machine.
Re: Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #515898 is a reply to message #515835] Mon, 22 February 2010 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You don't need the RDT server. It is possible to use just ssh for the connection. The RDT server, however, will enhance your remote experience (indexer, remote editing etc.)

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #515906 is a reply to message #515898] Mon, 22 February 2010 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I simply can't get it working (can't do the no. 12 in the tutorial, both next and finish are greyed out).

I'm going to create a new user and do a new clean eclipse installation. What exactly do I need to install into Eclipse to have a working remote C/C++ project?
Re: Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #516565 is a reply to message #515906] Wed, 24 February 2010 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This might be of interest for you.
http://wiki.eclipse.org/TM_and_RSE_FAQ#How_can_I_use_a_remot e_workspace_over_SSH.3F

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #516593 is a reply to message #516565] Wed, 24 February 2010 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh well, that puts me back to square one.

Both the FAQ and an open Bug in CDT suggest that it can't be done.
Re: Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #516799 is a reply to message #516593] Thu, 25 February 2010 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
Both the FAQ and an open Bug in CDT suggest that it can't be done.

Which bug? Can't you use SSHFS?

Before you ask
- search this forum
- google
Re: Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #517404 is a reply to message #516799] Sat, 27 February 2010 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I can use SSHFS. The filesystem is the least of my worries.
Re: Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #518353 is a reply to message #517404] Wed, 03 March 2010 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yevgeny Shifrin is currently offline Yevgeny ShifrinFriend
Hi,

I am interested in this feature. Currently I am developing on remote linux machines using NX. There are a lot of performance issues. I would like to try create "remote" project from my windows local PC. I am planning to install RDT server.

Do people use this feature? Does it work? I would appreciate any comments.

@Simon, did it work for you in the end?

Thanks,
Yevgeny
Re: Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #518895 is a reply to message #518353] Fri, 05 March 2010 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No it didn't work. As far as I can tell (and I spent a lot of hours on this). Its not possible.
Re: Cannot setup trivial remote development [message #532177 is a reply to message #515815] Fri, 07 May 2010 12:38 Go to previous message
Sebastian Meier is currently offline Sebastian MeierFriend
Yes, I've come to the same conclusion after many hours of trial and error. NetBeans CND seems to be a ahead on this one. I''ve been using it for a while now and I can really recommend it.

Nevertheless, I believe that it would not require much effort to implement CDT remote development via SSH. I think the key would be a "path mapping feature": some way of telling CDT "my local path X:\devel corresponds to /usr/home/devel on the remote system". Then, this information will have to be used in all the appropriate places, i.e. for building, launching and debugging.
Previous Topic:Some debugging problems
Next Topic:AST crashing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:10:06 GMT 2024