Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Export Product Without JRE
Export Product Without JRE [message #515229] Thu, 18 February 2010 09:20 Go to next message
Matthias is currently offline MatthiasFriend
Hi,
since i have problems while (p2-) updating my application with an embedded JRE, i decided not to bundle a JRE on product export.
But somehow i can't do it. The thing is, if i remove the corresponding check from the product file (Launching tab -> Execution Effect), the JRE is bundled also.

Update: It works when i delete the <vm/> content in the product file before exporting. but only if i don't generate a metadata repository (uncheck the "Generate metadata repository" option in the Export Dialog). Anyway, i need that repository.

Update #2:
As Vitaly already found out ( http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=49904 4&) the root of the problem is the "org.eclipse.rcp" feature, more precisely the "org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86" plugin. if i remove that from the plugin list, the JRE folder isn't created, but the launcher executable is missing.

that all wouldn't bother me if there would be a solution to use the p2 update functionality with an JRE embedded.

thanks, matthias

[Updated on: Thu, 18 February 2010 14:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Export Product Without JRE [message #525858 is a reply to message #515229] Thu, 08 April 2010 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christophe Olivier is currently offline Christophe OlivierFriend
Did you get any solution here ?

I'm facing exactly the same issue and I don't see how to get it solved.
The only workaround I found was to delete the jre directory within my exported product directory and then launch my product.
This work fine but is not satisfying me.

Any help on this topic would be really appreciated.
thx
Re: Export Product Without JRE [message #525930 is a reply to message #525858] Thu, 08 April 2010 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Ebert is currently offline Ralf EbertFriend
Hi Christophe,

> The only workaround I found was to delete the jre directory within my
> exported product directory and then launch my product.
> This work fine but is not satisfying me.

sorry, you're seeing this bug:

307269: Product Configuration editor doesn't respect no execution environment selection
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=307269

For the moment you have to edit the .product file to disable the JRE bundling.

Greetings,

Ralf

--
http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/
http://twitter.com/ralfebert/
Re: Export Product Without JRE [message #526107 is a reply to message #525930] Thu, 08 April 2010 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Ralf,

I have seen this bug before and I removed the <vm> tag from the .product file before generating a new launcher, then features from launcher and exporting my product. However the jre is still bundled.
Find below my .product file, is there another place where this information should be removed before exporting or is there package dependancies which would force bundling ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<?pde version="3.5"?>

<product name="Biorim" id="com.compufirst.main.product" application="com.compufirst.main.application" version="1.15.6" useFeatures="true" includeLaunchers="true">

<aboutInfo>
<image path="/com.compufirst.main/about.gif"/>
<text>
Back Office Biorim for Compufirst
</text>
</aboutInfo>

<configIni use="default">
</configIni>

<launcherArgs>
<programArgs>-webservice=http://myserver:8080/WebServiceServer/</programArgs>
<vmArgs>-Xms128m
-Xmx192m
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=8104
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false</vmArgs>
<vmArgsMac>-XstartOnFirstThread -Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.carbon.smallFonts</vmArgsMac>
</launcherArgs>

<windowImages i16="/com.compufirst.main/images/icons/Biorim16x16.gif" i32="/com.compufirst.main/images/icons/Biorim32x32.gif" i48="/com.compufirst.main/images/icons/Biorim48x48.gif"/>

<splash
location="com.compufirst.main"
handlerType="interactive" />
<launcher name="biorim">
<solaris/>
<win useIco="true">
<ico path="/com.compufirst.main/favicon.ico"/>
<bmp/>
</win>
</launcher>

<vm>
</vm>

<plugins>
</plugins>

<features>
<feature id="org.eclipse.equinox.p2.user.ui" version="1.1.2.R35x_v20091106-7u6FbQFUAtsCKD5Fxz0qz0fb2932"/ >
<feature id="Biorim" version="1.15.6"/>
<feature id="org.eclipse.rcp" version="3.5.2.R35x_v20100119-9SA0FxwFnoCU5XxWItFdXXb27BA6"/ >
</features>

</product>

[Updated on: Thu, 08 April 2010 17:20]

Re: Export Product Without JRE [message #526146 is a reply to message #526107] Thu, 08 April 2010 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found a workaround.
I made a fresh eclipse install (same version) I did not download a new version, I've just unzip the same eclipse archive.
Now the jre is not bundled anymore.
It seems that if you bundle the jre one time by selecting it in the launching tab of your .product file, something is writing down within the eclipse install dir and not be removed when you remove the vm tag from .product file.

Did you already hear something about this topic ?
Do you have any idea about where eclipse is storing those data ?

thx for any help.
Re: Export Product Without JRE [message #526160 is a reply to message #526146] Fri, 09 April 2010 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralf Ebert is currently offline Ralf EbertFriend
Hi Christophe,

> Did you already hear something about this topic ?
> Do you have any idea about where eclipse is storing those data ?

sorry, I never encountered this. I only briefly scanned the bug report + related bugs,
maybe somebody reported this already, I just saw that somebody reported "editing the text
file fixed the problem". I disabled it for a 3.5 product once by editing the text file and
this also fixed my Mac build which was broken before. What version / platform are you
using, is this reproducable for you?

Greetings,

Ralf

--
http://www.ralfebert.de/blog/
http://twitter.com/ralfebert/
Re: Export Product Without JRE [message #526206 is a reply to message #526160] Fri, 09 April 2010 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ralf,

I'm a bit lost now, I tried to reproduce it and now I'm even not able to bundle the jre anymore.

I'm using eclipse 3.5 SR2 on win7

I will let you know if I get success in reproducing it.
Re: Export Product Without JRE [message #526649 is a reply to message #526206] Mon, 12 April 2010 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Klaus Meisl is currently offline Klaus MeislFriend
I have the problem that i can't bundle my jre with my application on OS X. I'm using eclipse 3.5.2 and selected JavaSE-1.6 (JVM 1.6.0 (MacOS X Default)), but exporting hangs on 40% ("Running assembly script").
The folder "jre" remains empty the whole time. Can't he find the jre to pack it? On win7 everything works fine.

edit: never mind, found the bug entry

[Updated on: Mon, 12 April 2010 14:09]

Re: Export Product Without JRE [message #539564 is a reply to message #526649] Fri, 11 June 2010 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David  is currently offline David Friend
i have this problem now also on Eclipse 3.6 RC3. Also running windows 32 bit.

I will try and reinstall Eclipse to see if that gets rid of the problem. I use the export wizard to export the product and that keeps bundeling the JRE everytime even if i change in the UI or in the .product file.

In the wm argument it just changes the

<vm>
<windows include="false">org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.internal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/JavaSE-1.6</windows>
</vm>

Changing the value to true if it should bundle it or not, but it seems it pays no respect to this.

Re: Export Product Without JRE [message #539589 is a reply to message #515229] Fri, 11 June 2010 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David  is currently offline David Friend
Update!

After reinstall i at least got an error message:

Missing requirement for filter properties ~= $0: Eclipse Helios 0.8.0 (se.rsv.zz.eclipse.helios.product 0.8.0) requires 'se.rsv.zz.eclipse.helios.product_root.win32.win32.x86 [0.8.0]' but it could not be found

i then removed the execution environment and checked the box "include native launchers" instead and then it seems to work.

Re: Export Product Without JRE [message #539683 is a reply to message #539564] Fri, 11 June 2010 20:23 Go to previous message
Andrew Niefer is currently offline Andrew NieferFriend
You can manually remove those lines from the .product file, Currently they
don't affect anything other than including the JRE. In the future they
will affect more (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=267445).

It seems there is a bug here somewhere, There is
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=315032

David wrote:

> i have this problem now also on Eclipse 3.6 RC3. Also running windows 32
> bit.
>
> I will try and reinstall Eclipse to see if that gets rid of the problem. I
> use the export wizard to export the product and that keeps bundeling the
> JRE everytime even if i change in the UI or in the .product file.
>
> In the wm argument it just changes the
>
>
> <vm>
> <windows
>
include="false"> org.eclipse.jdt.launching.JRE_CONTAINER/org.eclipse.jdt.inte rnal.debug.ui.launcher.StandardVMType/JavaSE-1.6 </windows>
> </vm>
>
>
> Changing the value to true if it should bundle it or not, but it seems it
> pays no respect to this.
Previous Topic:Headless PDE build with maven
Next Topic:Dependencies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:35:27 GMT 2024