Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » plugin for setting up a data source?
plugin for setting up a data source? [message #512012] Wed, 03 February 2010 16:33 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Is there a plugin that can help me set up a data source for database connection? I have verified my database and can connect to it from the Data Source Explorer in Eclipse Java EE IDE as well as connect to it with pure JDBC code. If I set up a Data Source in the style of the MySQL DBCP Example in The Apache Tomcat 5.5 "JNDI Datasource HOW-TO". I'm using Tomcat 5.5.28 with the 1.5.0JVM of OS X Leopard and MySQL 5.1 64bit version (G5).

As I can't get it to work I thought a plugin would be useful to sort out the details. The Data Source Explorer seem to be using some other mechanism than the spec Data Source or am I mistaken?

Could this be a problem with the JVM being 1.5? If so what instructions should I follow for my setup? I've tried several, including from books but they all seem to have failed, possibly because they are somewhat dated.

I'll post my set up files if that makes it easier to suggest approaches.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 February 2010 16:42] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: plugin for setting up a data source? [message #512220 is a reply to message #512012] Thu, 04 February 2010 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Well, I got a new book "Pro Apache Tomcat 6", even though I'm on 5.5.28 and what do you know, the simple suggestions there did work well in a simple test case. However, when I tried to emulate these successful settings to my main project I get "javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name jdbc:StuffDB is not bound in this Context".

Is seems I'll have to get a book on JNDI as well, because I can't see why on of my databases can be bound and the other can't. Before that I'll dive in to the failed main project and the successful test project again to see what I can learn.

A plugin for Data Sources would really help though. There are none?
Re: plugin for setting up a data source? [message #512384 is a reply to message #512220] Thu, 04 February 2010 21:05 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Whoops. That was my fault. Obviously the name should be "java/StuffDB". JNDI works!
Previous Topic:Java EE module dependencies
Next Topic:WTP TomCat integration. HTTP 404 Still once again
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:34:01 GMT 2024