Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » profiling doesn't stop
icon9.gif  profiling doesn't stop [message #508978] Wed, 20 January 2010 23:41 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
This is my first time to use TPTP to profile my java program, and I got into some problem.

Usually my java program can terminate in about 30 seconds. But by profiling it, it seems to take much much longer time. I tried to profile it for three times, and for all of them it didn't stop after 1 hours. For one run I had to manually stop it. For the other two runs, when I came back to my computer after a few hours, Eclipse just disappeared, without any error message left.
Another thing that I found is, even when I pause the profiling, Eclipse still uses nearly 100% CPU time.

I wonder whether there's something wrong and how I can fix it. Thank you in advance.
icon4.gif  Re: profiling doesn't stop [message #508994 is a reply to message #508978] Thu, 21 January 2010 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried again. After running for 5 hours, Eclipse once again disappeared without any warning or error message. About 500MB memory was released. A file named "servicelog" of size 2G is found in the Eclipse workspace under " .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrat or\config ". However, ACServer.exe continues to use nearly 100% CPU time. Any idea of what happened?
icon4.gif  Re: profiling doesn't stop [message #508995 is a reply to message #508978] Thu, 21 January 2010 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried again. After running for 5 hours, Eclipse once again disappeared without any warning or error message. About 500MB memory was released. A file named "servicelog" of size 2G is found in the Eclipse workspace under " .metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.tptp.platform.iac.administrat or\config ". However, ACServer.exe continues to use nearly 100% CPU time. Any idea of what happened?
icon4.gif  Re: profiling doesn't stop [message #508997 is a reply to message #508978] Thu, 21 January 2010 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Re: profiling doesn't stop [message #508999 is a reply to message #508997] Thu, 21 January 2010 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, with numerous timeout I finally managed to post my reply but it seems to be posted for three time... Sorry about that but I can't find out a way to delete them...

[Updated on: Thu, 21 January 2010 08:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: profiling doesn't stop [message #509194 is a reply to message #508978] Thu, 21 January 2010 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eugene Chan is currently offline Eugene ChanFriend
Hi,

What TPTP release are you using? Was there any filtering configuration in
your Java profile session? Try the following, shut down Eclipse, kill the
ACServer.exe and any dangling java.exe running on your machine (check Task
Manager), delete or move the existing servicelog file out from the default
directory; then restart Eclipse workbench with a fresh workspace, and start
a fresh profile, configure the filter similar to the following:
myPackageName* * INCLUDE
* * EXCLUDE
where myPackageName is the package prefix of your target Java application.
See if that helps.
Could you also send me the servicelog file if the problem happens again, the
new one created in the default directory.

Eugene

<tookaway@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hj84b7$mv1$1@build.eclipse.org...
> This is my first time to use TPTP to profile my java program, and I got
> into some problem.
>
> Usually my java program can terminate in about 30 seconds. But by
> profiling it, it seems to take much much longer time. I tried to profile
> it for three times, and for all of them it didn't stop after 1 hours. For
> one run I had to manually stop it. For the other two runs, when I came
> back to my computer after a few hours, Eclipse just disappeared, without
> any error message left. Another thing that I found is, even when I pause
> the profiling, Eclipse still uses nearly 100% CPU time.
>
> I wonder whether there's something wrong and how I can fix it. Thank you
> in advance.
>
icon7.gif  Re: profiling doesn't stop [message #509330 is a reply to message #509194] Fri, 22 January 2010 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm using tptp 4.4.0. The filter is the default one that includes all my packages and excludes the others.

I just looked at the option of the "execution time analysis" under the profile configuration -> monitor tab. The default one is "show execution flow graphical details". Now I changed it to "show execution statistics", and the running time is reduced to 20min, which is still slow (without profiling it's 10 sec) but much more acceptable.
Re: profiling doesn't stop [message #509888 is a reply to message #509330] Mon, 25 January 2010 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Please try also tune your filter configuration to filter in only the
package/class of your target, and exclude everythign else to fasten the
profiling process.

Eugene

<tookaway@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hjb06t$c94$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Thanks for the suggestion. I'm using tptp 4.4.0. The filter is the default
> one that includes all my packages and excludes the others.
>
> I just looked at the option of the "execution time analysis" under the
> profile configuration -> monitor tab. The default one is "show execution
> flow graphical details". Now I changed it to "show execution statistics",
> and the running time is reduced to 20min, which is still slow (without
> profiling it's 10 sec) but much more acceptable.
Re: profiling doesn't stop [message #510822 is a reply to message #509888] Thu, 28 January 2010 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This time I'm trying to use the memory analysis but get a similar problem. Again it's my java program that usually terminates in about 20 sec, but with the memory profiling it has been 20 hours now and it is still running. I clicked the terminate button a hour ago, but no good so far. I set the filter to only include the packages that I'm interested in and exclude all the others. I also looked at the options of memory analysis but there's only one check box which is unchecked by default.
Re: profiling doesn't stop [message #510824 is a reply to message #510822] Thu, 28 January 2010 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just terminated the Eclipse process, but now the ACServer process is using 100% CPU, and it's writing to the servicelog which has grown from less than 1mb to 323mb now.
Re: profiling doesn't stop [message #511451 is a reply to message #510824] Mon, 01 February 2010 15:43 Go to previous message
Hi
Could you try terminat the ACServer process and make sure there is dangling
Java process on the same machine. Then start Eclipse with a fresh workspace
and rerun the scenario again. Note thaere is no need to start any AC
manually as Integrated Agent Controller will handle the launch and
communicate with the Profiling Agent.

Eugene

<tookaway@gmail.com> wrote in message news:hjskcd$o3k$1@build.eclipse.org...
>I just terminated the Eclipse process, but now the ACServer process is
>using 100% CPU, and it's writing to the servicelog which has grown from
>less than 1mb to 323mb now.
Previous Topic:Testing with AGR in headless moda and integration in the build process
Next Topic:Profiling the application does not work properly with CGProf option
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:01:45 GMT 2024