Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » SpringSource Bundle Repository / BRITS
SpringSource Bundle Repository / BRITS [message #508047] Fri, 15 January 2010 11:38 Go to next message
Chris Aniszczyk is currently offline Chris AniszczykFriend
I'm excited to see the Virgo project finally get announced at Eclipse.
Great job guys.

The SpringSource Bundle repository does a pretty good job of managing
third party dependencies.

http://www.springsource.com/repository/

At Eclipse.org, we have the Orbit project that maintains the set of
third party libraries useful to the Eclipse project. It doesn't make
sense to duplicate the management of third party libraries. Has there
been discussion of bringing the SpringSource Bundle Repository to
Eclipse.org and merging it with the Orbit project?

Cheers,

Chris Aniszczyk | EclipseSource Austin | +1 860 839 2465
http://twitter.com/eclipsesource | http://twitter.com/caniszczyk
Re: SpringSource Bundle Repository / BRITS [message #508054 is a reply to message #508047] Fri, 15 January 2010 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dmitry Sklyut is currently offline Dmitry SklyutFriend
Does ORBIT allow use of Maven or IVY? I quickly looked at the docs and found no reference to using any of those tools.

BRITS does a great job by allowing build tools to consume artifacts. Maven/IVY support is essential for me as a user to have a build that runs outside of Eclipse.

There is also a question of the dm-server hosted repository support that need specific meta-data for properly resolving dependencies.
Re: SpringSource Bundle Repository / BRITS [message #508209 is a reply to message #508054] Sun, 17 January 2010 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Frost is currently offline Chris FrostFriend

No decision has been made about the EBR. It will have to continue in some form as it is used to build other products from Spring/Springsource. The comment about duplication is a valid one though and I think it would be good to use ORBIT if possible for Virgo. If there is no Maven/Ant & Ivy support that would be a problem, the current build system is based on top of Ant & Ivy but again no decision has been made about the build system either. I don't fancy making another one though. Other than that and having the right 3d party bundles I can't foresee any other issues that would be show stoppers if such a move were to be attempted. It all depends on what is the right thing to do and what will be easiest for the users but as I say, nothing has been decided and the EBR isn't going anywhere. We should have some answers for you soon and might have some questions about ORBIT as well.

Chris.

------------------------------------------------
Chris Frost, Twitter @cgfrost
Springsource, a divison of VMware.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 January 2010 09:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: SpringSource Bundle Repository / BRITS [message #509393 is a reply to message #508209] Fri, 22 January 2010 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adrian Colyer is currently offline Adrian ColyerFriend
I'm late to this thread, sorry - I was travelling earlier this week.

The EBR is similar to Orbit in that it is a repository of OSGi bundles. It differs in the purpose of those bundles :- bundles in the EBR are intended for use by application developers when constructing enterprise applications, whereas bundles in Orbit are approved for use in Eclipse projects. That distinction means that the (necessary) IP approval processes surrounding putting a bundle into Orbit are too slow/burdensome for the way that we need to be able to run the EBR.

That said, we *are* very interested in finding a vehicle that would enable cross-organization collaboration around the EBR, and if that ends up being hosted at Eclipse somehow that would be even better.

-- Adrian Colyer.
Re: SpringSource Bundle Repository / BRITS [message #564407 is a reply to message #508209] Fri, 22 January 2010 11:18 Go to previous message
Adrian Colyer is currently offline Adrian ColyerFriend
I'm late to this thread, sorry - I was travelling earlier this week.

The EBR is similar to Orbit in that it is a repository of OSGi bundles. It differs in the purpose of those bundles :- bundles in the EBR are intended for use by application developers when constructing enterprise applications, whereas bundles in Orbit are approved for use in Eclipse projects. That distinction means that the (necessary) IP approval processes surrounding putting a bundle into Orbit are too slow/burdensome for the way that we need to be able to run the EBR.

That said, we *are* very interested in finding a vehicle that would enable cross-organization collaboration around the EBR, and if that ends up being hosted at Eclipse somehow that would be even better.

-- Adrian Colyer.
Previous Topic:SpringSource Bundle Repository / BRITS
Next Topic:Reworking the proposal in relation to Jetty
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:39:36 GMT 2024