Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Dynamic Languages Toolkit (DLTK) » Using Ruby Debugger(Is there a how to for using the Ruby debugger?)
Using Ruby Debugger [message #507911] Fri, 15 January 2010 07:27 Go to next message
podensk is currently offline podenskFriend
So far in all of my experiments I have been unable to get the debugger to work in DLTK for ruby.

I tried with Mac OS X + ruby 1.8.7 on Eclipse 3.5.1 with DLTK 1.0. No luck.

Tried also with Mac OS X + ruby 1.9.1p376 on Eclipse 3.5.1 with DLTK 1.0. No luck.

Are there any docs that describe the steps to get set up to use the ruby debugger?

All of the other features in the editor work quite nicely. DLTK appears to be a very nice IDE for ruby scripting except for not being able to get debugger working.

Thanks!

Re: Using Ruby Debugger [message #508056 is a reply to message #507911] Fri, 15 January 2010 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Panchenko is currently offline Alex PanchenkoFriend
Hi,

1st of all you should register your ruby interpreter with DLTK: Preferences - Ruby - Interpretes.
After this step you should be able to launch ruby scripts within DLTK in Run mode.

The next step is to install ruby-debug-base gem using the standard way for your OS. DLTK work with it using default configuration. So you should be able to launch scripts in Debug mode.

Regards,
Alex
Re: Using Ruby Debugger [message #526397 is a reply to message #507911] Sat, 10 April 2010 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian H is currently offline Christian HFriend
Hi there,

that works perfectly fine for Ruby 1.8.x, but since i'm using Ruby 1.9.1, i can't even install the "ruby-debug" gem, because it tells me "can't handle 1.9.x" yet.

So I tried with "ruby-debug19" (and ruby-debug-base19 etc). Soon I figured that DLTK isn't looking in the .../gems/1.9.1/gems/ folder for the plugin (gabe me the error that "ruby-debug" wasn't installed), so I edited the source of org.eclipse.dltk.ruby.fastdebugger to do so, saw that there were some problems with ruby 1.8.x style case-expressions in org.eclipse.dltk.ruby.abstractdebugger and fixed them also.

Now I don't get the "can't find ruby-debug" error anymore, but instead after a while hanging at 92 % org.eclipse.dltk.launcher throws an exception that initalizing the debugger was taking too long and thus terminated the whole thing.

I figured that I am using the R2.0 dev version of DLTK, since that may cause the problem, I will try the R1.0 Stable Release. Is there anything else I could do to get this up and running in case that's not the solution?

kind regards,
christian

Re: Using Ruby Debugger [message #529122 is a reply to message #526397] Fri, 23 April 2010 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Panchenko is currently offline Alex PanchenkoFriend
Hi Christian,

I think that code was not tested with ruby 1.9.
It seems that installation paths could be OS specific, so you can just
disable the check of ruby-debug gem - there is a checkbox in Preferences
- Ruby - Debug - Engines - Fast Ruby Debugger.

Anyway it's better to work with DLTK 2.0 as this is the version under
development now.
I'll try to test it with ruby 1.9. If you've found what should be
changed in DLTK could you please share your findings?

Regards,
Alex

On 10/04/10 17:41, Christian H wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> that works perfectly fine for Ruby 1.8.x, but since i'm using Ruby
> 1.9.1, i can't even install the "ruby-debug" gem, because it tells me
> "can't handle 1.9.x" yet.
>
> So I tried with "ruby-debug19" (and ruby-debug-base19 etc). Soon I
> figured that DLTK isn't looking in the .../gems/1.9.1/gems/ folder for
> the plugin (gabe me the error that "ruby-debug" wasn't installed), so I
> edited the source of org.eclipse.dltk.ruby.fastdebugger to do so, saw
> that there were some problems with ruby 1.8.x style case-expressions in
> org.eclipse.dltk.ruby.abstractdebugger and fixed them also.
>
> Now I don't get the "can't find ruby-debug" error anymore, but instead
> after a while hanging at 92 % org.eclipse.dltk.launcher throws an
> exception that initalizing the debugger was taking too long and thus
> terminated the whole thing.
>
> I figured that I am using the R2.0 dev version of DLTK, since that may
> cause the problem, I will try the R1.0 Stable Release. Is there anything
> else I could do to get this up and running in case that's not the solution?
>
> kind regards,
> christian
>
>
Re: Using Ruby Debugger [message #529145 is a reply to message #529122] Fri, 23 April 2010 08:23 Go to previous message
Christian H is currently offline Christian HFriend
Hi Alex,

actually the path IS Os specific, but thats covered by the code in DLTK, for you only have to look at the path relative to the installation dir. but the Version of ruby was hard coded in there, so I had to change it to 1.9.1. Just disabling the check doesn't work.

I'll post a list of the changes I made to the DLTK Sources, soon. But anyway these didn't get the debugger to work. I ended up with a error message that didn't tell me anything but "Error". So I can't go any further at the moment.

greetings
christian
Previous Topic:[BUILD] I-I201004230650-201004230650
Next Topic:[BUILD] S-2.0M7-201005050456
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 05:59:40 GMT 2024