Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Test and Performance Tools Platform (TPTP) » "The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available" for 64-bit Eclipse
"The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available" for 64-bit Eclipse [message #507497] Wed, 13 January 2010 16:51 Go to next message
John A. Murdie is currently offline John A. MurdieFriend
Although Java application profiling works fine in an up-to-date 32-bit install of Eclipse 3.5.1 "Galileo" on a Slackware Linux 13.0 system, when I try the same thing on a 64-bit install of the same I see (briefly) the console message:

Error occurred during initialization of VM
Could not find agent library on the library path or in the local directory: JPIBootLoader

and then the Error popup message:

The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available. Make sure that
the libraries for the agent are available and that it is configured
properly.

I've used only the Eclipse 'Help' -> 'Install New Software' to install features, TPTP included.

I see that historically there have been a lot of reports of similar problems here. What can I do to debug my variant of the problem?
Re: "The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available" for 64-bit Eclipse [message #507511 is a reply to message #507497] Wed, 13 January 2010 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eugene Chan is currently offline Eugene ChanFriend
Hi John,

Did you have the 32-bit Eclipse workbench running when you launch your
64-bit Eclispe workbench? The 32-bit Integrated Agent Controller could be
running. Try shut down both workbench, ensure there is no RAServer nor
ACServer process running on your machine, and relaunch the 64-bit Eclipse
workbench.

Eugene

"John A. Murdie" <john@cs.york.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:hiktmh$kr4$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Although Java application profiling works fine in an up-to-date 32-bit
> install of Eclipse 3.5.1 "Galileo" on a Slackware Linux 13.0 system, when
> I try the same thing on a 64-bit install of the same I see (briefly) the
> console message:
>
> Error occurred during initialization of VM
> Could not find agent library on the library path or in the local
> directory: JPIBootLoader
>
> and then the Error popup message:
>
> The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available. Make sure that
> the libraries for the agent are available and that it is configured
> properly.
>
> I've used only the Eclipse 'Help' -> 'Install New Software' to install
> features, TPTP included.
>
> I see that historically there have been a lot of reports of similar
> problems here. What can I do to debug my variant of the problem?
Re: "The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available" for 64-bit Eclipse [message #507676 is a reply to message #507511] Thu, 14 January 2010 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you very much for your reply, Eugene. The 32- and 64-bit installs are on different installs of the operating system (a 32-bit Linux boot and a 64-bit Linux boot) so, no, I can't see that there can be a RAServer or ACServer process running on the 64-bit Linux before I start profiling.

I can see that my 64-bit install of Eclipse does have a directory containing an agent controller - it is plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platform.ac.linux_em64t_4.4.201.v20 0909111644/agent_controller - and that the executables there seem compatible with my Linux install. ('em64t' being the name of the older equivalent of what is now called the 'Intel 64' architecture.)

I note that http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/platform/documents/newtechAC/con fig-ref/r_config_svconfig.html indicates that the serviceconfig.xml file in directory plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platform.ac.linux_em64t_4.4.201.v20 0909111644/agent_controller/config can have e.g:

<AgentControllerConfiguration>
<Logging level="INFORMATION" format="Simple" directory="/tmp/AC.log"/>
<AgentControllerConfiguration/>

added to it to write a log file /tmp/AC.log. So far, though, with that added, I've not seen any log written.

I'm continuing to investigate - but would be very grateful for further assistance.
Re: "The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available" for 64-bit Eclipse [message #507901 is a reply to message #507676] Thu, 14 January 2010 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi John,

Could you try manually startup the em64t Agent Controller by executing the
ACServer file under the bin folder of the agent_controller folder?

Eugene

news:himsmi$d8c$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Thank you very much for your reply, Eugene. The 32- and 64-bit installs
> are on different installs of the operating system (a 32-bit Linux boot and
> a 64-bit Linux boot) so, no, I can't see that there can be a RAServer or
> ACServer process running on the 64-bit Linux before I start profiling.
>
> I can see that my 64-bit install of Eclipse does have a directory
> containing an agent controller - it is
> plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platform.ac.linux_em64t_4.4.201.v20
> 0909111644/agent_controller - and that the executables there seem
> compatible with my Linux install. ('em64t' being the name of the older
> equivalent of what is now called the 'Intel 64' architecture.)
>
> I note that
> http://www.eclipse.org/tptp/platform/documents/newtechAC/con fig-ref/r_config_svconfig.html
> indicates that the serviceconfig.xml file in directory
> plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platform.ac.linux_em64t_4.4.201.v20
> 0909111644/agent_controller/config can have e.g:
>
> <AgentControllerConfiguration>
> <Logging level="INFORMATION" format="Simple"
> directory="/tmp/AC.log"/>
> <AgentControllerConfiguration/>
>
> added to it to write a log file /tmp/AC.log. So far, though, with that
> added, I've not seen any log written.
>
> I'm continuing to investigate - but would be very grateful for further
> assistance.
Re: "The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available" for 64-bit Eclipse [message #507964 is a reply to message #507901] Fri, 15 January 2010 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm one step ahead of you here (I think!), Eugene - but thank you for your reply.

Following the instructions I found at http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse .tptp.platform.doc.user/tasks/teprofsa.htm (page "Profiling an application in stand-alone mode"), I successfully completed yesterday the stand-alone profiling of my example Java program (in both 32 and 64 bits) - which I took from http://www.eclipse.org/articles/Article-TPTP-Profiling-Tool/ tptpProfilingArticle.html - I think that the stand-alone profiling instructions are unfortunately inaccurate - out of date? - as they don't mention the JVMTI directory.

In both architectures, $PRODUCTS_DIR is the directory containing the example's 'products' XML files. $PROJECT is the appropriate project directory - one built 32-bit, the other built 64-bit.

These commands work for my 32-bit Eclipse 3.5.1 install:

; TPTP_AC_HOME=$ECLIPSE/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platform.ac.l inux_ia32_4.4.201.v200909111644/agent_controller
; JAVA_PROFILER_HOME=$ECLIPSE/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platfor m.jvmti.runtime_4.5.1.v200909141324/agent_files/linux_ia32
; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$TPTP_AC_HOME/lib:$JAVA_PROFILER_HOME
; cd $PROJECT/bin
; java '-agentlib:JPIBootLoader=JPIAgent:server=standalone;CGProf' com.sample.product.Product $PRODUCTS_DIR
(Correct output - after a little delay. File trace.trcxml left behind.)

These commands work for my 64-bit Eclipse 3.5.1 install:

; TPTP_AC_HOME=$ECLIPSE/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platform.ac.l inux_em64t_4.4.201.v200909111644/agent_controller
; JAVA_PROFILER_HOME=$ECLIPSE/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platfor m.jvmti.runtime_4.5.1.v200909141324/agent_files/linux_em64t
; LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$TPTP_AC_HOME/lib:$JAVA_PROFILER_HOME
; cd $PROJECT/bin
; java '-agentlib:JPIBootLoader=JPIAgent:server=standalone;CGProf' com.sample.product.Product $PRODUCTS_DIR
(Correct output - after a little delay. File trace.trcxml left behind.)

(Incidentally, my preview of this message here shows the TPTP_AC_HOME line broken in the word 'linux' - 'l inux' and the JAVA_PROFILER_HOME lines broken in the word 'platform' - 'plat form'!)

But, alas, I still get the same error when I try to profile the 64-bit build from the Eclipse GUI.
Re: "The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available" for 64-bit Eclipse [message #508317 is a reply to message #507964] Mon, 18 January 2010 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Correction - the JVMTI directory is mentioned in the instructions for stand-alone profiling, but later on in the page "Profiling an application in stand-alone mode" - http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse .tptp.platform.doc.user/tasks/teprofsa.htm - under the section heading "Using the profiler with Java 5.0 (or higher) virtual machines" . I read only the introductory general section's "For Linux: - export JAVA_PROFILER_HOME=$TPTP_AC_HOME/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.ja vaprofiler ", saw that directory didn't exist, but didn't realise until after I'd posted my last message here that the later section of the document actually overrides the instructions of the introductory section, using the -agentpath option where I had used -agentlib. I'd say now that the page is confusingly written. I worked out what to do from elsewhere.

I've run both our 32-bit and 64-bit ACServer installs as asked (with the original contents of each serviceconfig.xml file):-

32-bit:

$ TEMP=/temp
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ECLIPSE/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platform.a c.linux_ia32_4.4.201.v200909111644/agent_controller/lib
$ export TEMP LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$ cd $ECLIPSE/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platform.ac.linux_ia32_4.4 .201.v200909111644/agent_controller/bin
$ ./ACServer
Creating default Agent Controller configuration file.
Security is turned off. Access is set to Local.
Run the SetConfig script to change the default settings.
^C
$ cat ../config/servicelog.log
<CommonBaseEvent creationTime="2010-01-18T11:28:23.530756Z" globalInstanceId="AB5445D70008193E04CE5D095CF2433B" msg="Native file server started listening on port 10005" severity="10" version="1.0.1">
<sourceComponentId component="AgentController" componentIdType="TPTPComponent" executionEnvironment="ClientCTL.c, line 606" instanceId="1004" location="pc118" locationType="IPV4" processId="7858" subComponent="Client Compatibility TL" threadId="7858" componentType="Eclipse_TPTP"/>
<situation categoryName="ReportSituation">
<situationType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:type="ReportSituation" reasoningScope="INTERNAL" reportCategory="LOG"/>
</situation>
</CommonBaseEvent>

64-bit:

$ TEMP=/temp
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ECLIPSE/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platform.a c.linux_em64t_4.4.201.v200909111644/agent_controller/lib
$ export TEMP LD_LIBRARY_PATH
$ cd $ECLIPSE/plugins/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platform.ac.linux_ em64t_4.4.201.v200909111644/agent_controller/bin
$ ./ACServer
Creating default Agent Controller configuration file.
Security is turned off. Access is set to Local.
Run the SetConfig script to change the default settings.
^C
$ cat ../config/servicelog.log
<CommonBaseEvent creationTime="2010-01-18T11:54:38.916834Z" globalInstanceId="AB544BFE000DFD58156C83CE3FA5C283" msg="Native file server started listening on port 10005" severity="10" version="1.0.1">
<sourceComponentId component="AgentController" componentIdType="TPTPComponent" executionEnvironment="ClientCTL.c, line 606" instanceId="1004" location="pc118" locationType="IPV4" processId="4623" subComponent="Client Compatibility TL" threadId="4623" componentType="Eclipse_TPTP"/>
<situation categoryName="ReportSituation">
<situationType xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:type="ReportSituation" reasoningScope="INTERNAL" reportCategory="LOG"/>
</situation>
</CommonBaseEvent>

Still the same error when I try 'Profile As ...' for my 64-bit project in Eclipse, however.
Re: "The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available" for 64-bit Eclipse [message #508322 is a reply to message #508317] Mon, 18 January 2010 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I keep the 64-bit ACServer running before I launch the 64-bit Eclipse, however, and then 'Profile As .. Java Application' as before, everything works.

(Two typos in my last message here - resulting from copying and pasting incorrect lines from my shell terminal window into this message text box: it should be 'TEMP=/tmp' in each case and not 'TEMP=/temp', and 'cd $ECLIPSE/plugins/org.eclipse.tptp.platform.ac.linux_ em64t_4.4.201.v200909111644/agent_controller/bin' and not 'cd $ECLIPSE/plugins/plugins/...', of course. I corrected these errors when issuing the commands.)
Re: "The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available" for 64-bit Eclipse [message #510112 is a reply to message #508322] Tue, 26 January 2010 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've made no progress trying to discover the problem here, so have submitted it as a bug report.
Re: "The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available" for 64-bit Eclipse [message #510383 is a reply to message #510112] Wed, 27 January 2010 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Problem solved, thanks to a suggestion at Eclipse Bugzilla - https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=300828 . Although I'd configured my install of Eclipse on 64-bit Linux to use the 64-bit JVM, with a line in the $ECLIPSE/eclipse.ini file, I'd not realised that it was necessary separately to configure the IAC also. So it was using the 32-bit JVM by default, and failing. I corrected the problem at Eclipse's 'Window' -> 'Preferences' -> 'Agent Controller' -> 'Integrated Agent Controller' , but hope to find out how I can put something in eclipse.ini to have the same effect.

John A. Murdie
Re: "The JVMTI agent org.eclipse.tptp.jvmti is not available" for 64-bit Eclipse [message #510479 is a reply to message #510383] Wed, 27 January 2010 15:29 Go to previous message
Hi John,

Glad your original problem is resolved. The IAC pickes up the system default
JVM (in JAVA_HOME or PATH) if there is one on its first configuration after
a Eclipse session is started. After that the only way to change the
configuration is thru the Windows > Perferences. If no system default is
set, you can use the eclipse.exe -vm command to pass the JVM for Eclipse
launch which will also be picked up in IAC's first configuration.

Eugene

news:hjpa7a$3jo$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Problem solved, thanks to a suggestion at Eclipse Bugzilla -
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=300828 . Although I'd
> configured my install of Eclipse on 64-bit Linux to use the 64-bit JVM,
> with a line in the $ECLIPSE/eclipse.ini file, I'd not realised that it was
> necessary separately to configure the IAC also. So it was using the 32-bit
> JVM by default, and failing. I corrected the problem at Eclipse's
> 'Window' -> 'Preferences' -> 'Agent Controller' -> 'Integrated Agent
> Controller' , but hope to find out how I can put something in eclipse.ini
> to have the same effect.