Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Memory Analyzer (MAT) » How to Increase heap size for MAT in IBM ISA?(How to Increase heap size for MAT in IBM ISA?)
icon5.gif  How to Increase heap size for MAT in IBM ISA? [message #507419] Wed, 13 January 2010 12:36 Go to next message
Jeroen is currently offline JeroenFriend
I'm running MAT inside the newest IBM ISA. I want to process quite large heap dumps. How can I enlarge the heap size available to MAT?

The usual trick for eclipse as documented in de FAQ does not work for me.

Thanks!

Jeroen.
icon9.gif  Re: How to Increase heap size for MAT in IBM ISA? [message #507484 is a reply to message #507419] Wed, 13 January 2010 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MAT seems to run in the ISA eclipse host IBM jvm. It's settings are:
-Xmn7m
-Xms48m
-Xmx256m

Which seem quite ridiculous to me.

If I try to set them in the ini file C:\Users\Me\IBM\ISAv41\.config\config.ini with:
eclipse.vmargs \
-Xmn80m \
-Xms256m \
-Xmx1024m \

or something similar, they are simply ignored.

I've searched my whole disk and I cannot find the to-replace parameters anywhere other then in javacore files (IBM threaddumps.)

Help much appreciated.

Jeroen.
Re: How to Increase heap size for MAT in IBM ISA? [message #507505 is a reply to message #507484] Wed, 13 January 2010 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, after some digging and looking here:

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/forums/thread.jspa?messag eID=14217619&#14217619

and some more digging, I found that the vm arguments are set in the file:

jvm.properties

in location on my disk:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\IBM Support Assistant v41\rcp\eclipse\plugins\com.ibm.rcp.j2se.win32.x86_1.6.0.200 90211a-200903301321\

I recommend removing the -Xmn parameter for the new space size. Let this be handled by the gencon garbage collector itself. This will speedup the processing. For me it now takes about a minute to process a 1 GB heap. I have -Xmx1200m and -Xms256m.

---Jeroen
Re: How to Increase heap size for MAT in IBM ISA? [message #507928 is a reply to message #507505] Fri, 15 January 2010 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Krum Tsvetkov is currently offline Krum TsvetkovFriend
Hi Jeroen,

Thanks for pasting also the solution to your problem! I guess other users of the tool can find it helpful.

Regards,
Krum
Re: How to Increase heap size for MAT in IBM ISA? [message #508041 is a reply to message #507505] Fri, 15 January 2010 16:18 Go to previous message
Andrew Johnson is currently offline Andrew JohnsonFriend
This help page for Memory Analyzer from IBM Support Assistant suggests the following:

Tool: IBM Monitoring and Diagnostic Tools for Java™ - Memory Analyzer > Troubleshooting
Out Of Memory Errors
Processing large dump files
Processing large dump files using Memory Analyzer may sometimes fail with a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError. The default maximum Java heap size when running ISA 4.1 is 256Mb. We recommend running Memory Analyzer with at least 512Mb.

To set the maximum heap size you can add a property value to the rcpinstall.properties file.

Updating the rcpinstall.properties file
The rcpinstall.properties file resides in the following workspace location:

For Windows:
<home drive><home path>\IBM\ISAv41\.config\rcpinstall.properties
For Linux:
<home>/ibm/isa41/.config/rcpinstall.properties
Add or update the value for vmarg.Xmx property. For example:

vmarg.Xmx=-Xmx512m

You will need to restart ISA for the change to take effect.
Previous Topic:Need help to analyse result given by MAT
Next Topic:MAT library API
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:58:10 GMT 2024