Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » XML editor performance inconsistency(XML editor performing differently on different machines?)
XML editor performance inconsistency [message #506364] Thu, 07 January 2010 10:13 Go to next message
Michiel Verschueren is currently offline Michiel VerschuerenFriend
Hi,

I'm using Eclipse 3.5.1 and the "Eclipse XML editors and tools" version 3.1.1. On my machine, everything works well. However, on a colleague's machine with the exact same plugins installed, there's a performance issue. When opening large XML files in the graphical (design) editor, Eclipse uses 100 % CPU and it takes ages to load the files.

We have already checked the XML preferences, but haven't found any difference at all. The only differences I can see are that
- I have installed lots of other plugins, but none that should make any difference, according to me;
- I'm using Linux Mint 7, while he's using ubuntu 8.04.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Re: XML editor performance inconsistency [message #506716 is a reply to message #506364] Sat, 09 January 2010 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Konstantin Komissarchik is currently offline Konstantin KomissarchikFriend
The first thing that I would check in this situation is memory settings in eclipse.ini. If Eclipse gets low on memory, the first thing you notice is pegged CPU as GC runs in overdrive drive to free up as much memory as possible. Try increasing the memory allocated to Eclipse and see if the situation improves.

- Konstantin
Re: XML editor performance inconsistency [message #506866 is a reply to message #506716] Mon, 11 January 2010 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Konstantin,

first of all, thanks for your quick reply.

The eclipse.ini files are identical; it's the default eclipse.ini file that comes with the 3.5.1 download.

Any other suggestions?
Re: XML editor performance inconsistency [message #508726 is a reply to message #506364] Wed, 20 January 2010 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Carver is currently offline David CarverFriend
What are the eclipse ini settings. I personally recommend using -Xms256m and -Xmx512m at least. Some recommend using -Xms512 and -Xmx1024m.

Dave
Re: XML editor performance inconsistency [message #509108 is a reply to message #508726] Thu, 21 January 2010 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Dave,

thanks for your reply.

The contents of our eclipse.ini files are:

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.201.R35x_v20090715. jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_1.0.200.v 20090520
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
-vmargs
-Xms40m
-Xmx256m

I've tried the settings you suggest, but without success. We're not seeing any apparent change in behaviour.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 January 2010 12:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: XML editor performance inconsistency [message #510888 is a reply to message #506364] Fri, 29 January 2010 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check to make sure that for some reason Structured Code Folding hasn't been turned on. I know that if PDT is installed it may turn on the Structured Code Folding, and this will cause large amounts of time in loading files.

This has been fixed in WTP 3.2. But I supect this is your issue.
Re: XML editor performance inconsistency [message #510931 is a reply to message #506364] Fri, 29 January 2010 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi again,

thanks for all your replies.

* The situation has changed: reading XML files in the design editor has become equally slow on my machine as on my colleague's. I don't know what I could have changed to cause this. In any case, the "inconsistency" in this topic's title is no longer there. However, a performance "issue" remains.

* I don't think this is a memory problem: when I open the file, the memory usage doesn't augment dramatically. I think it's rather a CPU problem, because eclipse consumes one of my CPU cores entirely.

* Dave, do you mean the "Enable folding" checkbox under General - Editors - Structured Text Editors ? It's switched off here.

* What do you mean by "WTP"?

Michiel
Re: XML editor performance inconsistency [message #514767 is a reply to message #510931] Tue, 16 February 2010 15:15 Go to previous message
Michiel Verschueren wrote on Fri, 29 January 2010 03:49
Hi again,

thanks for all your replies.

* The situation has changed: reading XML files in the design editor has become equally slow on my machine as on my colleague's. I don't know what I could have changed to cause this. In any case, the "inconsistency" in this topic's title is no longer there. However, a performance "issue" remains.

* I don't think this is a memory problem: when I open the file, the memory usage doesn't augment dramatically. I think it's rather a CPU problem, because eclipse consumes one of my CPU cores entirely.

* Dave, do you mean the "Enable folding" checkbox under General - Editors - Structured Text Editors ? It's switched off here.

* What do you mean by "WTP"?

Michiel

WTP = Web Tools Platform. The XML Editors are part of the WTP Project at eclipse.

Yes that is the code folding. If you can, please try downloading one of the Helios builds at:

http://eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/helios/m5

And if you are still having issues, please open a bug report, with some sample files that we can use to replicate the problem.
Previous Topic:WTP OutOfMemory
Next Topic:Using port 9090 in server.xml
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:15:27 GMT 2024