Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Troubles with PDE build and target platform
Troubles with PDE build and target platform [message #505856] Tue, 05 January 2010 11:26 Go to next message
Roland Germ is currently offline Roland GermFriend
Hi,

I've setup up a build environment to build my feature, which means I've a build project containing my build.xml, a build directory containing a features subdirectory, installed the delta pack and so on (as described in the examples and the forums). After solving some problems with the pluginPath (I need the language packages of babel), the build runs now fine and is building the features and plugins correctly.

My next step was to define a new target platform for our application. So I unpacked the SDK 3.5.1, the delta pack, babel and added the missing features and plugins (for example help and BIRT). After loading the target platform and rebuilding my workspace I tested the application.

Now I wanted to use the new target platform to build my features again. I changed the eclipseLocation and baseLocation in my build.xml :

<property name="eclipseLocation" value="C:/Program Files/eclipse/eclipse3.5.1" />
<property name="baseLocation" value="C:/rcp_target/eclipse"/>
<property name="babel" value="C:/rcp_target/babel/eclipse" />

<property name="pluginPath" value="c:/build/Rcp${path.separator}${baseLocation}${path.separator}${deltapack}${path.separator}${babel}" />

But with this settings the build is not working anymore ! I'm getting the following error during the generateScript target :

BUILD FAILED
X:\Equirion\WorkspaceEclipse\Equator\com.equirion.tntf.build .script\build.xml:25: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Program Files\eclipse\eclipse3.5.1\plugins\org.eclipse.pde.build_3.5 .1.R35x_20090820\scripts\build.xml:35: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Program Files\eclipse\eclipse3.5.1\plugins\org.eclipse.pde.build_3.5 .1.R35x_20090820\scripts\build.xml:91: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Program Files\eclipse\eclipse3.5.1\plugins\org.eclipse.pde.build_3.5 .1.R35x_20090820\templates\headless-build\customTargets.xml: 12: The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Program Files\eclipse\eclipse3.5.1\plugins\org.eclipse.pde.build_3.5 .1.R35x_20090820\templates\headless-build\allElements.xml:16 : The following error occurred while executing this line:
C:\Program Files\eclipse\eclipse3.5.1\plugins\org.eclipse.pde.build_3.5 .1.R35x_20090820\scripts\genericTargets.xml:106: Unable to find plug-in: org.junit_0.0.0. Please check the error log for more details.

Neither my feature nor any plugins of mine are having a dependency to org.junit. So why is this plugin needed ? Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks!

roland
Re: Troubles with PDE build and target platform [message #505891 is a reply to message #505856] Tue, 05 January 2010 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've found some new interesting details :

1. I got the same error while exporting my feature with the GUI.

2. I checked my run configuration to see if any plugins are missing in my target environment. So I switched my target environment to Eclipse 3.5.1 and opened the Run Configurations dialog. I've loaded all plugins of our application into my workspace (= 123 plugins & fragments).

* If I select the button "Add Required Plug-ins" 145 plugins are added (org.junit is not selected) .
* If I select the button 6 new plugins are added (still org.junit is not required) !
org.eclipse.ant.core
org.eclipse.ant.core.nl_de
org.eclipse.core.variables
org.eclipse.core.variables.nl_de
org.eclipse.team.core
org.eclipse.team.core.nl_de

I'm sure our application doesn't need eclipse.ant at all.

* If I select the check box "Include optional dependencies ..." again 13 new plugins are added (and now org.junit is selected, too)

So the problem seems to be that there are some optional dependencies which are not needed to run my application correctly. I could add all optional plugins to my target environement, but maybe there is an option for the PDE build not to check those required plugins. Any new ideas ?

thanks, roland
Re: Troubles with PDE build and target platform [message #506591 is a reply to message #505891] Fri, 08 January 2010 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem is solved now. I added all the missing plugins to my target platform.

During the last days I had a lot of "genericTargets.xml:106: Unable to find plug-in: " error messages. If I summarize those problems and solutions I'd list the following (these are more or less my best practices):

"pluginPath property" :
1. fixed a lot of typos
2. added missing paths (add all paths to your source files and everything you need in your classpath to compile correctly for example a complete target platform)
3. look for the correct sub-directory (sometimes the /plugins sub-dir is needed; I suppose if you require a feature you must not add it otherwise if you depend only on plugins it helps)

"target platform" : add at least all plugins listed in your run configuration even if those plugins are just optionally required

roland
Re: Troubles with PDE build and target platform [message #604029 is a reply to message #505891] Fri, 08 January 2010 09:06 Go to previous message
The problem is solved now. I added all the missing plugins to my target platform.

During the last days I had a lot of "genericTargets.xml:106: Unable to find plug-in: " error messages. If I summarize those problems and solutions I'd list the following (these are more or less my best practices):

"pluginPath property" :
1. fixed a lot of typos
2. added missing paths (add all paths to your source files and everything you need in your classpath to compile correctly for example a complete target platform)
3. look for the correct sub-directory (sometimes the /plugins sub-dir is needed; I suppose if you require a feature you must not add it otherwise if you depend only on plugins it helps)

"target platform" : add at least all plugins listed in your run configuration even if those plugins are just optionally required

roland
Previous Topic:Handling of extracted nested jar files
Next Topic:Missing files (eclipse, libcairo-swt.so) in product built on windows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:43:17 GMT 2024