Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » generate plugin(How do i generate an Eclipse plugin to edit my language ?)
generate plugin [message #505320] Tue, 29 December 2009 10:07 Go to next message
Nicolas Delsaux is currently offline Nicolas DelsauxFriend
Hi all
having worked with XText for the last week, I now want to generate one or more eclipse plugin containing the editor for my language.
How do I do that ? I can find no informations in user guide.
Thanks for this wonderful plugin, that make impossible possible.
Re: generate plugin [message #505339 is a reply to message #505320] Tue, 29 December 2009 17:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
Hello,

don't know if i understand you problem. But if you want to install the editor-plugins to another eclipse just export the plugin-projects you created with the xtext wizard using the std eclipse plugin export mechanism (mark projects -> right click -> Export -> Plug-In Development -> Deployable plugins and fragments)

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: generate plugin [message #505423 is a reply to message #505339] Wed, 30 December 2009 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, i'm so used to deploy using maven that i totally forgot this export ability was possible with Eclipse.
Anoway, now i've exported my code as plugin, I try to put it in an already existing Eclipse installation.
But nothing happens : my plugins are not visible in the help dialog, their preferences panel is neither visible, and there is no log in the console.
is there any kind of issue related to the lack of jar signing ? (I didn't wanted to sign my plugins, since they are only development versions but, if required, i can do it).
Re: generate plugin [message #505693 is a reply to message #505320] Mon, 04 January 2010 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Degler is currently offline Johannes DeglerFriend
I was facing the same problem. I've exported my plugins and copied them to a new, clean eclipse installation to see if they work there. But the plugins weren't showing up and eclipse provided no feedback about it.

The solution for me, was to install Xtext, Xpand and MWE from http://download.eclipse.org/releases/galileo using the eclipse update manager.

My plugins work fine now. But I can't generate any code, because trying to execute an MWE workflow results in an error message ("Could not execute workflow: org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core.WorkflowRunner needs to be on the class path.")
Re: generate plugin [message #505700 is a reply to message #505693] Mon, 04 January 2010 15:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sven Efftinge is currently offline Sven EfftingeFriend
jdegler@essential-bytes.de schrieb:
> My plugins work fine now. But I can't generate any code, because trying
> to execute an MWE workflow results in an error message ("Could not
> execute workflow: org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core.WorkflowRunner needs to be on
> the class path.")

The message indicates that the org.eclipse.emf.mwe.core bundle (read
jar) is not on the classpath of the project (containing the MWE file).

Sven

--
Need professional support for Xtext and EMF?
Go to: http://xtext.itemis.com
Twitter : @svenefftinge
Blog : blog.efftinge.de
Re: generate plugin [message #505704 is a reply to message #505700] Mon, 04 January 2010 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johannes Degler is currently offline Johannes DeglerFriend
Thanks. I wonder how this did happen Smile
Re: generate plugin [message #505712 is a reply to message #505693] Mon, 04 January 2010 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes !
Your solution also worked for me.
Notice that, for full use, no editor must be open for a file of this type before all the plugins are installed.
Re: generate plugin [message #505801 is a reply to message #505712] Tue, 05 January 2010 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Federico Tomassetti is currently offline Federico TomassettiFriend

I suppose if an editor is open before the plugin is installed it would be the default editor. You can open a file specifing which editor use to edit it. Anyway you can also just close the default editor open for your file and click on the file again. If in the meantime you have installed your plugin your editor will be chosen instead of the default one.

Re: generate plugin [message #665111 is a reply to message #505320] Wed, 13 April 2011 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
betty jhonson is currently offline betty jhonsonFriend
Hi all,
I'm working with Xtext and I have kind of a similar problem.
I did generate the plugin exporting it through Eclipse but when I'm editing my file no code completion is shown, even though it works fine when I run the project as an Eclipse Application.

Am I missing some details in configuration so I can keep enjoying all the facilities that Xtext editor offers me?

Thanks,
Re: generate plugin [message #665126 is a reply to message #665111] Wed, 13 April 2011 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Koehnlein is currently offline Jan KoehnleinFriend
Is it the correct editor - i.e. not a plain text editor? Does the log
show some error/warning?

Am 13.04.11 12:23, schrieb Betania:
> Hi all,
> I'm working with Xtext and I have kind of a similar problem. I did
> generate the plugin exporting it through Eclipse but when I'm editing my
> file no code completion is shown, even though it works fine when I run
> the project as an Eclipse Application.
>
> Am I missing some details in configuration so I can keep enjoying all
> the facilities that Xtext editor offers me?
>
> Thanks,

--
Need professional support for Eclipse Modeling?
Go visit: http://xtext.itemis.com

---
Get professional support from the Xtext committers at www.typefox.io
Re: generate plugin [message #665132 is a reply to message #505320] Wed, 13 April 2011 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
betty jhonson is currently offline betty jhonsonFriend
Yes, it is the editor generated by Xtext, in fact the syntax colouring and error validation works fine, the only thing that doesn't work it's the code completion.
There's no error shown in the console or .log file in .metadata folder in my workspace.
Is there anywhere else where I can find log?
Any ideas? Thanks,
Re: generate plugin [message #1656834 is a reply to message #505320] Sat, 07 March 2015 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Ngangom is currently offline Michael NgangomFriend
I am trying to create an Sparql editor using Xtest. I am able to define the grammar. The editor works fine when I execute it as an eclipse application, What I do not understand is how can I make this as a plug in application. Also, how can I embed the functionality in the editor. Ant tutorials documents/ sites or any advise will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

BR,
Mike
Re: generate plugin [message #1661158 is a reply to message #1656834] Mon, 09 March 2015 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

can you be a bit more specific what you mean by

- embed the functionality in the editor
- make this as a plug in application

adding the plugins to an eclipse product shall be staight forward: https://github.com/cdietrich/xtext-maven-example

Re: generate plugin [message #1661178 is a reply to message #1661158] Mon, 09 March 2015 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi christian,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I will try to elaborate what I am trying to do:

I am trying to create an fully fledged editor and I was able to define the grammar which will basically highlight the keywords and has the auto complete features. However, I am trying to make the code executable -like able to give functionality to the editor. eg: I have the below query written

Select <field> from <table>;

and I want to execute the query above using the the newly developed editor. I will be using some APIs to run the query, I just want to know how can I embed these APIs functionality to the editor and make the whole editor as an eclipse plugin.

Best regards,
Michael
Re: generate plugin [message #1661207 is a reply to message #1661178] Mon, 09 March 2015 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

have a look at YourDslGenerator and or use https://christiandietrich.wordpress.com/2011/10/15/xtext-calling-the-generator-from-a-context-menu/ as starting point

icon14.gif  Re: generate plugin [message #1661255 is a reply to message #1661207] Mon, 09 March 2015 14:53 Go to previous message
Thanks!! Smile
Previous Topic:accelerate the MWE2 workflow generation
Next Topic:Access members of JvmTypeReference
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:17:06 GMT 2024