Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Infocenter indexing hangs
Infocenter indexing hangs [message #505260] Tue, 29 December 2009 00:59 Go to next message
Lani Hardage-Vergeer is currently offline Lani Hardage-VergeerFriend
I have an infocenter as web app, and it's been working well. Now indexing hangs with a new install, never gets beyond 0% in an endless loop. There have been no changes to the infocenter since it was a working web app. I'm wondering if it's the Java version on the app server or on the client. Any suggestions?
Re: Infocenter indexing hangs [message #505456 is a reply to message #505260] Wed, 30 December 2009 16:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solution, I think, in case it helps someone else. I'm surprised it hasn't been posted yet. Firefox 3.5.6 requires JRE 1.6 update 10 or higher. I came across this notice for Firefox 3.6, but it fixed 3.5.6 (http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml) . The browser on my local host had JRE 1.6 and indexing did not hang. Same infocenter application, with a browser on JRE 1.5, indexing hangs.
Re: Infocenter indexing hangs [message #506712 is a reply to message #505456] Fri, 08 January 2010 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
Lani Hardage-Vergeer wrote on Wed, 30 December 2009 11:38
Solution, I think, in case it helps someone else. I'm surprised it hasn't been posted yet. Firefox 3.5.6 requires JRE 1.6 update 10 or higher. I came across this notice for Firefox 3.6, but it fixed 3.5.6 (http://www.java.com/en/download/faq/firefox_newplugin.xml) . The browser on my local host had JRE 1.6 and indexing did not hang. Same infocenter application, with a browser on JRE 1.5, indexing hangs.

I don't understand why this would fix the problem, the help system where the indexing is taking place runs on a server and the indexing should be unrelated to the choice of browser.
Re: Infocenter indexing hangs [message #506713 is a reply to message #506712] Fri, 08 January 2010 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did wonder the same but had to try to fix it for the customer. This worked. I was able to get indexing from IE but not Firefox on the same infocenter, until I upgraded the VM in Firefox. I'm guessing it's the browser request for indexing, but I don't know whether the Eclipse helps runs any java in the browser. The search box loads a JSP page which may in turn run a local applet. Just a guess.
Re: Infocenter indexing hangs [message #516187 is a reply to message #506713] Tue, 23 February 2010 05:33 Go to previous message
Shashi Bala is currently offline Shashi BalaFriend
In this case, I guess pre-indexing might be of some help to you. Please read through http://help.eclipse.org/help33/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse. platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help_setup_preindex.htm.

It worked for me...

-Shashi Bala
Previous Topic:Standalone help - how to find the .toc files
Next Topic:local Eclipse help with remote content
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:14:54 GMT 2024