Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Standalone help - how to find the .toc files
Standalone help - how to find the .toc files [message #505212] Mon, 28 December 2009 11:18 Go to next message
Juergen Weber is currently offline Juergen WeberFriend
Hi,

I tried to start Standalone help as in
http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse .platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help_setup_standalone.htm

I tried the code given from a plain Java application main.
The help system comes up, but shows the usual Eclipse help.

Where do I have to put my help content?

http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/topic/org.eclipse.platform.d oc.isv/guide/ua_help_content.htm
says
The first step is to create a plug-in directory, com.example.helpexample underneath the platform plugins directory.

Where is that? Underneath the installation where org.eclipse.help.base_[version].jar is pulled from?
Or below my Java application's working directory?

Thanks,
Juergen

Re: Standalone help - how to find the .toc files [message #505233 is a reply to message #505212] Mon, 28 December 2009 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
The plug-in should be added to the directory eclipse/plugins in your eclipse installation. There is also a directory eclipse/dropins which you can use to keep your plug-ins in a separate directory from eclipse/plugins. Whichever directory you put the plug-in in it will get loaded when you start standalone help.
Re: Standalone help - how to find the .toc files [message #505291 is a reply to message #505233] Tue, 29 December 2009 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Juergen Weber is currently offline Juergen WeberFriend
Thanks, I copied it into the plugin directory.

Still, it fails to open the help topic.

The help works as part of RCP from here
http://www.eclipse.org/articles/article.php?file=Article-Add ingHelpToRCP/index.html
but not stand-alone.

I got
D:\java\EclipseHelp\eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.helprcp.cont ent\toc.xml

Neither of the following does work, there is HTTP 404 .

helpSystem.displayHelp("/org.eclipse.helprcp.content/html/toc.html ");

helpSystem.displayHelp("/org.eclipse.helprcp.content/toc.xml ");

What is the syntax of the path? Plugin-ID + file relativ to plugin?
Or folder name relative to plugins dir?

Thanks,
Juergen

Re: Standalone help - how to find the .toc files [message #506708 is a reply to message #505291] Fri, 08 January 2010 22:14 Go to previous message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
There are two steps. First create a plugin in Eclipse which has help content, you can use the new plug-in wizard to do this (File->New->Project->Plug-in Project) and on the last step of the wizard select the template plug-in with sample help content.

If you launch a new version of Eclipse by using Run->Run As->Eclipse Application you will create a new version of Eclipse whose help contents include the help book you just created.

Step 2 is to export the plug-in you just created using File->Export->Deployable Plug-ins and Fragments to create a jar file. Go to the location where you installed Eclipse and you should find a directory called "eclipse" and below that a directory called "plugins". Copy the exported jar file there, restart standalone help and you should see your new documentation.

Previous Topic:Discovering cheatsheet command serialization parameters
Next Topic:Infocenter indexing hangs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 02:21:44 GMT 2024