Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Referencing Cheat Sheets from Eclipse Docs
Referencing Cheat Sheets from Eclipse Docs [message #504962] Wed, 23 December 2009 14:36 Go to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
HiI,

This seems like a rather obvious Use Case but I haven't been able to find anything on it:

1. User opens Eclipse documentation for Project.
2. User reads documentation and see's a link like "Try it".
3. Cheat sheet is opened from link and presented to user.

Any simple ways to accomplish this? My overall goal is to reduce redundancy in documentation and user assistance. If I have to go through the steps of how to create a project in my Eclipse docs, I'm not going to also create a cheat sheet for it. What I'd like is just to have a seamless user experience. I guess there is one issue in that the cheatsheets would obviously not be available for stand-alone documentation, but I can live with that.

cheers,

Miles
Re: Referencing Cheat Sheets from Eclipse Docs [message #504968 is a reply to message #504962] Wed, 23 December 2009 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
Yes there is.

If you perform a help search for "Active help" you will get to a help page that has a link to open a cheat sheet. Here is the HTML for that link.

<p><a href='javascript:liveAction(
"org.eclipse.ui.cheatsheets",
"org.eclipse.ui.cheatsheets.OpenCheatSheetFromHelpAction",
"org.eclipse.platform.cvs.checkout")'>Open a cheatsheet.</a></p>

The final parameter is the only one which needs to change to open a different cheat sheet, it is the id of the cheat sheet.
Re: Referencing Cheat Sheets from Eclipse Docs [message #504970 is a reply to message #504968] Wed, 23 December 2009 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Wow, that's great! Even works from the browser hosted help -- I was only hoping for it to work with the Dynamic help. This is one of those things that you need to put two pieces of knowledge together to make work, which is I guess what made it non-obvious to me. Thanks, Chris.

-Miles

Chris Goldthorpe wrote on Wed, 23 December 2009 15:47
Yes there is.

If you perform a help search for "Active help" you will get to a help page that has a link to open a cheat sheet. Here is the HTML for that link.

The final parameter is the only one which needs to change to open a different cheat sheet, it is the id of the cheat sheet.

Re: Referencing Cheat Sheets from Eclipse Docs [message #623817 is a reply to message #504962] Wed, 23 December 2009 20:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
Yes there is.

Re: Referencing Cheat Sheets from Eclipse Docs [message #623818 is a reply to message #623817] Wed, 23 December 2009 21:13 Go to previous message
Wow, that's great! Even works from the browser hosted help -- I was only hoping for it to work with the Dynamic help. This is one of those things that you need to put two pieces of knowledge together to make work, which is I guess what made it non-obvious to me. Thanks, Chris.

-Miles

Chris Goldthorpe wrote on Wed, 23 December 2009 15:47
> Yes there is.
>
> If you perform a help search for "Active help" you will get to a help page that has a link to open a cheat sheet. Here is the HTML for that link.
>
> <p><a href='javascript:liveAction(
> "org.eclipse.ui.cheatsheets",
> "org.eclipse.ui.cheatsheets.OpenCheatSheetFromHelpAction",
> "org.eclipse.platform.cvs.checkout")'>Open a cheatsheet.</a></p>
>
>
> The final parameter is the only one which needs to change to open a different cheat sheet, it is the id of the cheat sheet.
Previous Topic:Standalone help a misnomer?
Next Topic:Discovering cheatsheet command serialization parameters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:52:29 GMT 2024