Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work(autotools)
After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work [message #503121] Thu, 10 December 2009 23:08 Go to next message
Bob Smith is currently offline Bob SmithFriend
I've just updated Autotools to 2.0 and now they do not work.

The Autotools project category and all information in the project configuration dialog is gone.

I'm running Eclipse 3.5.1 with CDT 6.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.8.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Re: After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work [message #504200 is a reply to message #503121] Thu, 17 December 2009 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeff Johnston is currently offline Jeff JohnstonFriend
Are you using an old Autotools project or are you trying to create a new one?

The new Autotools project is now created via the C/C++ C Project and C++ Project wizards respectively. There is no longer a separate GNU Autotools Project wizard. There is a GNU Autotools category of project there now. See the Eclipse help section for details on this. As well, the configuration settings dialog is now found under Autotools in the Properties folder. It is no longer in the C/C++ Build -> Tool Settings tab. This is described in the help documentation as well as the wiki page: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/Autotools/Rewrit e_Changes_Guide

For old projects, there is a compatibility plugin and things should work as they did before. If this isn't the case, please open a Bugzilla bug against the Autotools component and provide further details.
Re: After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work [message #504396 is a reply to message #504200] Fri, 18 December 2009 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've read the documentation and I see how things should work.

Unfortunately I don't see the Autotools project type in the C Project or C++ Project wizards. The only thing I see is under Makefile project -> Empty project there is the GNU Autotools Toolchain.

Also under Project -> Properties there is no Autotools page for setting configure and autogen.sh parameters.

This is for a new project - just trying to test the installation.

Is there anyway to check my installation? I've tried uninstalling, restarting Eclipse and reinstalling the Autotools. My next solution will be to completely reinstall Eclipse.
Re: After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work [message #505761 is a reply to message #504396] Mon, 04 January 2010 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for the delay, but I left for vacation on the Friday morning you posted your last response. Did you get things working?

If not, I would suggest a few things to try.

1. Try updating to CDT 6.0.1 or 6.0.2
2. Try using -clean -consoleLog options when you restart Eclipse
3. Check the log to see if any plugins did not load

Failing all of this, please open a bug and we will look into this in more detail.

You can look at the installed plugins under "What is currently installed".

[Updated on: Mon, 04 January 2010 14:52]

Report message to a moderator

Re: After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work [message #567929 is a reply to message #503121] Thu, 17 December 2009 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you using an old Autotools project or are you trying to create a new one?

The new Autotools project is now created via the C/C++ C Project and C++ Project wizards respectively. There is no longer a separate GNU Autotools Project wizard. There is a GNU Autotools category of project there now. See the Eclipse help section for details on this. As well, the configuration settings dialog is now found under Autotools in the Properties folder. It is no longer in the C/C++ Build -> Tool Settings tab. This is described in the help documentation as well as the wiki page: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Linux_Tools_Project/Autotools/Rewrit e_Changes_Guide

For old projects, there is a compatibility plugin and things should work as they did before. If this isn't the case, please open a Bugzilla bug against the Autotools component and provide further details.
Re: After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work [message #567961 is a reply to message #567929] Fri, 18 December 2009 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've read the documentation and I see how things should work.

Unfortunately I don't see the Autotools project type in the C Project or C++ Project wizards. The only thing I see is under Makefile project -> Empty project there is the GNU Autotools Toolchain.

Also under Project -> Properties there is no Autotools page for setting configure and autogen.sh parameters.

This is for a new project - just trying to test the installation.

Is there anyway to check my installation? I've tried uninstalling, restarting Eclipse and reinstalling the Autotools. My next solution will be to completely reinstall Eclipse.
Re: After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work [message #568023 is a reply to message #504396] Mon, 04 January 2010 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for the delay, but I left for vacation on the Friday morning you posted your last response. Did you get things working?

If not, I would suggest a few things to try.

1. Upgrade to Eclipse 3.5.1 if you are using lower
2. Update to CDT 6.0.1 or 6.0.2 if you are using lower
3. Try using -clean -consoleLog options when you restart Eclipse
4. Check the log to see if any plugins did not load

Failing all of this, please open a bug and we will look into this in more detail.
Re: After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work [message #595986 is a reply to message #505761] Tue, 21 September 2010 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did not see your reply until just now. I don't know how I wasn't notified.

Anyway, I followed your suggestions and from the console log there is some output regarding an org.eclipse.linuxtools plugin that could be the problem. I'm not sure how to interpret the data but I don't want to paste the log here. Is there a better way to have you look at the log file?
Re: After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work [message #628868 is a reply to message #595986] Fri, 24 September 2010 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It is not problem to paste the pertinent details here, but if you would prefer, you can open a bug against Technology->Linuxtools->Autotools and we can correspond there regarding what is going on with your upgrade.
Re: After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work [message #628907 is a reply to message #503121] Fri, 24 September 2010 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, well here is the log data that I think is relevant:

smithrm-mac:eclipse smithrm$ ./eclipse -clean -consoleLog
!SESSION 2010-09-21 13:22:01.745 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=
java.version=1.5.0_24
java.vendor=Apple Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=macosx, ARCH=x86, WS=cocoa, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.cpp.product
Command-line arguments: -os macosx -ws cocoa -arch x86 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.cpp.product -clean -consoleLog

<other data deleted>

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2010-09-21 13:22:14.299
!MESSAGE Plug-in 'org.eclipse.linuxtools.systemtap.ui.dashboardextension' contributed an invalid Menu Extension (Path: 'file2' is invalid): org.eclipse.linuxtools.systemtap.ui.dashboardextension.actio ns.ExportScript

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 4 2010-09-21 13:22:14.324
!MESSAGE Plug-in 'org.eclipse.linuxtools.systemtap.ui.dashboardextension' contributed an invalid Menu Extension (Path: 'file2' is invalid): org.eclipse.linuxtools.systemtap.ui.dashboardextension.actio ns.CreateModuleAction

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2010-09-21 13:22:14.519
!MESSAGE Keybinding conflicts occurred. They may interfere with normal accelerator operation.
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2010-09-21 13:22:14.519
!MESSAGE A conflict occurred for ALT+CTRL+P:
Binding(ALT+CTRL+P,
ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.linuxtools.changelo g.core.preparechangelog,Prepare Changelog,
Prepares Changelog,
Category(org.eclipse.linuxtools.changelog,Changelog,Changelo g key bindings,true),
org.eclipse.linuxtools.changelog.core.actions.PrepareChangel ogKeyHandler,
,,true),null),
org.eclipse.ui.defaultAcceleratorConfiguration,
org.eclipse.ui.contexts.window,,,system)
Binding(ALT+CTRL+P,
ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.team.svn.ui.command .CreatePatchCommand,Create Patch...,
Category(org.eclipse.team.svn.ui.command.category,SVN,null,t rue),
ActionDelegateHandlerProxy(null,org.eclipse.team.svn.ui.acti on.local.CreatePatchAction),
,,true),null),
!SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.jface 2 0 2010-09-21 13:22:14.519
!MESSAGE A conflict occurred for COMMAND+P:
Binding(COMMAND+P,
ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.linuxtools.systemta p.ui.graphicalrun.commands.ModifyParsing,Modify &Parsing Expression,
Modify Parsing Expression,
Category(org.eclipse.linuxtools.systemtap.ui.graphing.catego ry.edit,%category.edit.name,%category.edit.desc,true),
,,true),null),
Binding(COMMAND+P,
ParameterizedCommand(Command(org.eclipse.ui.file.print,Print ,
Print,
Category(org.eclipse.ui.category.file,File,null,true),
,,true),null),

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.net 1 0 2010-09-21 13:22:14.774
!MESSAGE System property http.nonProxyHosts has been set to local|*.local|169.254/16|*.169.254/16 by an external source. This value will be overwritten using the values from the preferences
Re: After upgrade to 2.0 Autotools does not work [message #629345 is a reply to message #628907] Mon, 27 September 2010 21:12 Go to previous message
The only thing of note in the log is the SystemTap plugin UI issues. It might be possible this is causing UI issues during loading.

Try renaming your ~/.eclipse file. There is plugin information stored in the .metadata and sometimes upgrades cause problems as data is cached and there are invalid references that are still around.

Failing this, you can try uninstalling the SystemTap plugins to see if that helps.

If that doesn't solve the issue, there may be dependencies for the Autotools plugins that are not being loaded, though I would have expected to see some messages in your log file.

How did you do your upgrade - via the Eclipse update site or did you use an rpm?

If you upgraded via the update site, go to Help->About Eclipse Platform->Installation Details->Plugins you can verify what, if any, Autotools plugins are recognized and loaded. If they aren't noted there and you used an update site, check to see if the plugins actually exist in your eclipse/plugins directory. If they are there, you'll have to look at the MANIFEST.MF files for the plugin dependencies and check to see if the dependencies are recognized by Eclipse. If missing, you have to repeat the process to find the lowest level culprit.
Previous Topic:oprofile problem: "No profiling data is on the system"
Next Topic:unable to get chart view of gmon.out
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:30:03 GMT 2024