Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » .instance files
.instance files [message #502926] Thu, 10 December 2009 10:55 Go to next message
T. Wilhelm is currently offline T. WilhelmFriend
Hey all,

i have another question:
When i´m starting my RCP application, a file named ".tmp6497407094398626455.instance" will be created in the folder "configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\.manager". What does this file do? Is it necessary? The problem is that we have a terminal server and users only have read and execution rights. Anyway when we start the application without writing rights, it seems that the file is simply not written, but the application works... does anybody have any information about that file and its use?
Thanks a lot
Thomas
Re: .instance files [message #502935 is a reply to message #502926] Thu, 10 December 2009 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Golovanov is currently offline Michael GolovanovFriend
This folder has Eclipse cached info

try run Eclipse with command line parameter -configuration

Qoute from eclipse docs:
Quote:
Configuration (-configuration) {osgi.configuration.area} [@none, @noDefault, @user.home, @user.dir, filepath, url]
Configuration locations contain files which identify and manage the (sub)set of an install to run. As such, there may be many configurations per install. Installs may come with a default configuration area but typical startup scenarios involve the runtime attempting to find a more writable configuration location.
Re: .instance files [message #502946 is a reply to message #502935] Thu, 10 December 2009 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

thanks for your help, i already tried to set my configuration area to the user.home directory but then i have an update problem. When i replace my deployment with a new one (we dont have an update mechanism yet, but we are working on it) the new deployment doesn´t work because the available configuration and the deployment are inconsistent Sad
In addition to that i dont know if it is good to have 4 configuration folders for every user in his user home. I also think there will be problems when updating the application later.

It would be nice if i could only put the .instance temp file into the user home directory. Is that possible?
Thanks a lot
Thomas
Re: .instance files [message #503148 is a reply to message #502946] Fri, 11 December 2009 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Golovanov is currently offline Michael GolovanovFriend
Documentation:
Quote:
The Eclipse runtime defines a number of locations which give plug-in developers context for reading/storing data and Eclipse users a control over the scope of data sharing and visibility. Eclipse defines the following notions of location:

User (-user) {osgi.user.area} [@none, @noDefault, @user.home, @user.dir, filepath, url]
User locations are specific to, go figure, users. Typically the user location is based on the value of the Java user.home system property but this can be overridden. Information such as user scoped preferences and login information may be found in the user location.
Install (-install) {osgi.install.area} [@user.home, @user.dir, filepath, url]
An install location is where Eclipse itself is installed. In practice this location is the directory (typically "eclipse") which is the parent of the eclipse.exe being run or the plugins directory containing the org.eclipse.equinox.launcher bundle. This location should be considered read-only to normal users as an install may be shared by many users. It is possible to set the install location and decouple eclipse.exe from the rest of Eclipse.
Configuration (-configuration) {osgi.configuration.area} [@none, @noDefault, @user.home, @user.dir, filepath, url]
Configuration locations contain files which identify and manage the (sub)set of an install to run. As such, there may be many configurations per install. Installs may come with a default configuration area but typical startup scenarios involve the runtime attempting to find a more writable configuration location.
Instance (-data) {osgi.instance.area} [@none, @noDefault, @user.home, @user.dir, filepath, url]
Instance locations contain user-defined data artifacts. For example, the Resources plug-in uses the instance area as the workspace location and thus the default home for projects. Other plugins are free to write whatever files they like in this location.

I think than set install location is what you need.

With best regards, Mike
Re: .instance files [message #503195 is a reply to message #503148] Fri, 11 December 2009 10:53 Go to previous message
Hey Michael,

thanks for your answer, but i dont think install location is what i need.
My problem is the configuration location. Temporary files (tmp.xxx.instance) will be created for each instance of my application in the 3 folders:

org.eclipse.core.runtime
org.eclipse.equinox.app
org.eclipse.osgi

We dont want this files to be created, because we use terminal server where the user dont have any writing rights.

We cannot move the complete configuration area to the user homes because when we copy a new deployment, the configurations of the users are noch compatible with the new version.

I simply dont understand why eclipse need that files? What happens if it cant create it ?
Thanks alot
Thomas
Previous Topic:Toggle visibility of toolbar contribution via toggle command
Next Topic:Multiple EditorPart stack.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:29:43 GMT 2024