Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 Tools » Display UML 2 class diagram
Display UML 2 class diagram [message #501545] Wed, 02 December 2009 17:42 Go to next message
Erik Putrycz is currently offline Erik PutryczFriend
I'd like to display UML2 diagrams in my application. Is there any way to reuse the uml2 editor for display only?

Re: Display UML 2 class diagram [message #501670 is a reply to message #501545] Thu, 03 December 2009 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
What do you mean by display only ?
Is-it to create a class diagram manually or programmatically ?
Is the diagram information coming from source code, from a model from ........ ?
You need to explain in the post what you expect, why and even how you think it should work.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 December 2009 11:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Display UML 2 class diagram [message #501708 is a reply to message #501670] Thu, 03 December 2009 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica wrote on Thu, 03 December 2009 06:33
What do you mean by display only ?

I'd like to load a .uml file and display a class diagram inside a widget. There are other actions I'd like the user to do but they don't involve editing the uml diagram itself.

Vlad

Is-it to create a class diagram manually or programmatically ?
Is the diagram information coming from source code, from a model from ........ ?

The diagram would come from a uml xmi file. I was wondering if there would be ways to reuse some of the uml tools to read the uml file and display a class diagram.

Re: Display UML 2 class diagram [message #501905 is a reply to message #501708] Fri, 04 December 2009 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
I'd like to load a .uml file and display a class diagram inside a widget.

Do you mean that you need:

- a picture in png format ?
- all classifiers displayed immediately with links in the new diagram ?
- that the user be able to drag and drop elements from the .uml model to the diagram ?

The way a modeling tool works is to load the .uml model and then allow users to drag and drop classifiers from the .uml file to the class diagram. It is now possible with almost all Eclipse modeling tools.

I have written a short documentation on this dynamic navigation inside the .uml model subject at: http://www.forum-omondo.com/documentation_eclipseuml_2008/ec lipseuml2008_dynamic_navigation.html

This tool is not free but it saves time and help me to make my living as non open source software provider Smile

[Updated on: Fri, 04 December 2009 12:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Display UML 2 class diagram [message #502012 is a reply to message #501905] Fri, 04 December 2009 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica wrote on Fri, 04 December 2009 07:16
Quote:
I'd like to load a .uml file and display a class diagram inside a widget.

Do you mean that you need:

- that the user be able to drag and drop elements from the .uml model to the diagram ?

thanks for the reference maybe another way to formulate my problem is the following:
how could I modify or customize the current UML2 to open class diagrams but not enable adding/removing any elements. Remove all editing functionality and only leave layout functions.
How could I do that?

Erik.
Re: Display UML 2 class diagram [message #502014 is a reply to message #502012] Fri, 04 December 2009 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can not take out EclipseUML2 contextual menus if you use the official plugin, but you can for example bundle EclipseUML tools inside your own installer.
You need to go to the class which controls the class diagram contextual menu and change methods manually. I don't know where is the class and methods in charge of this menu but it should not be difficult to find out in the code.

It would work as standalone.
Re: Display UML 2 class diagram [message #502037 is a reply to message #502014] Fri, 04 December 2009 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica wrote on Fri, 04 December 2009 14:03
You can not take out EclipseUML2 contextual menus if you use the official plugin, but you can for example bundle EclipseUML tools inside your own installer.
You need to go to the class which controls the class diagram contextual menu and change methods manually. I don't know where is the class and methods in charge of this menu but it should not be difficult to find out in the code.

I can probably figure out the contextual menus but how would I prevent the toolbox to be displayed?
Also my next question is about the UML tools build process - I think I figured out all the plugins involved but I haven't found how and where the code generation happens...
Is this documented somewhere?

Erik.
Re: Display UML 2 class diagram [message #625322 is a reply to message #501708] Fri, 04 December 2009 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
> I'd like to load a .uml file and display a class diagram inside a widget.

Do you mean you want:

The way a modeling tool works is to load the .uml model and then allow users to drag and drop classifiers from the .uml file to the class diagram. It is now possible with almost all Eclipse modeling tools.

I have written a short documentation on this dynamic navigation inside the .uml model subject at: http://www.forum-omondo.com/documentation_eclipseuml_2008/ec lipseuml2008_dynamic_navigation.html

This tool is not free but it saves time and help me to make my living as non open source software provider :)
Re: Display UML 2 class diagram [message #625330 is a reply to message #625322] Fri, 04 December 2009 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vlad Varnica wrote on Fri, 04 December 2009 07:16
> Quote:
> > I'd like to load a .uml file and display a class diagram inside a widget.
>
> Do you mean that you need:
>
> - a picture in png format ?
> - all classifiers displayed immediately with links in the new diagram ?
> - that the user be able to drag and drop elements from the .uml model to the diagram ?

thanks for the reference maybe another way to formulate my problem is the following:
how could I modify or customize the current UML2 to open class diagrams but not enable adding/removing any elements. Remove all editing functionality and only leave layout functions.
How could I do that?

Erik.
Re: Display UML 2 class diagram [message #625331 is a reply to message #625330] Fri, 04 December 2009 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

It would work as standalone.
Re: Display UML 2 class diagram [message #625382 is a reply to message #625331] Fri, 04 December 2009 20:59 Go to previous message
Vlad Varnica wrote on Fri, 04 December 2009 14:03
> You can not take out EclipseUML2 contextual menus if you use the official plugin, but you can for example bundle EclipseUML tools inside your own installer.
> You need to go to the class which controls the class diagram contextual menu and change methods manually. I don't know where is the class and methods in charge of this menu but it should not be difficult to find out in the code.

I can probably figure out the contextual menus but how would I prevent the toolbox to be displayed?
Also my next question is about the UML tools build process - I think I figured out all the plugins involved but I haven't found how and where the code generation happens...
Is this documented somewhere?

Erik.
Previous Topic:Trying to define attribute in class in diagram of type "Set<ComponentType>"
Next Topic:UML diagram validation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:19:46 GMT 2024