Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » AMP » Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit)(Problems with a clean install)
Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #499369] Sat, 21 November 2009 14:40 Go to next message
John T. MurphyFriend
Below is a 'stream of consciousness' account of a clean install of AMP.

There are a few problems, but the two most important are:

1) When installing there is a conflict between the Ascape components listed as 'optional' on the 'Build sites' page and the components that are included in the AMP distribution itself. I initially installed all of the Ascape components from the optional Ascape site, then had to uninstall them because of this conflict; after this I had to re-install the Ascape 'swing' components from the Ascape site.

2) The end of my installation was not successful; when attempting to run a model I get a ClassDefNotFound error, and no code is output to the srcgen directory.

Any help appreciated; the rest of the account is included to help diagnose problems and provide some feedback on the installation instructions. Thanks!

John

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------
System: Windows Vista Home (64-bit Intel Core 2, Dell Studio Laptop)

From http://eclipse.org/amp/

Using 'Download' button in top pane

On the download page- nb: the screen says "AMP can be installed in two ways"... then lists three ways to install it.

Choosing 'Installed from update site' because it's the recommended way...

At the 'Update Sites' page:

I was confused by this: The top of the page lists the update sites; the bottom of the page lists 'optional' updates. However, the 'optional' sites must be loaded first, so listing them at the bottom is confusing; moreover, the note indicates that they are only optional if the user intends to opt out of some of AMP's features, but there is no concordance listing which features require which components, so the default has to be to install all of these 'optional' features first.

I think also that the "Update sites' page should tell the user which version of eclipse is required (and link to it).

Following the link from the 'Download from files' page takes me to the 'eclipse project downloads' page; 3.5.1 is the latest release, and following some links I arrive at a place where I can download a version for Windows x86_64. (Following this there is a note that says that it may or may not run on my machine... it requires a 64-bit JVM. I think I have this....)

Downloaded and installed to a new folder with a new workspace, just to keep things tidy... It seems to run on my machine; I'm going to create a toy Hello World! project and make sure... runs just fine.

Now, going back to the UPDATE site and doing the OPTIONAL elements first:

First the lwjgl... and restarting eclipse...
Then Ascape... Note that I am including all elements of Ascape... (Core, SwingRuntime, and Complete SDK)... and restarting
And Repast; note that the 'Repast' site is noted as 'non P2', which means... something, I'm sure, but I don't know what or what action I'm supposed to take or not take because of it. Also, when Repast installs it includes Groovy; I'm again installing everything just to be sure.

All of this went fine... eclipse restarted after each one

Now, to AMP update: using the 'interim' site...

First note: I know I used the interim site, but the two things that appear (Agent Modeling and Agent Modeling extensions) both describe themselves as 'Nightly')...

Second, the Agent Modeling (Nightly) element contains Ascape Core... I'm again selecting 'install everything'... and it balks,

saying 'AScape core is already installed; an update will be performed instead.' I'm deselecting Ascape core from the list and it lets me go forward... but then balks again:

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------
Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.
Software being installed: AMP Escape (Incubation) 0.5.0.v200911152332-67b-BuaMUuGTPz0nccfOKMK8

(org.eclipse.amp.escape.feature.group 0.5.0.v200911152332-67b-BuaMUuGTPz0nccfOKMK8)
Software currently installed: Complete Ascape SDK 5.2.0.v200909231833-7B3-7GM9Mz-FsFI9hBSFKCRBJ7 (org.ascape.sdk.feature.group

5.2.0.v200909231833-7B3-7GM9Mz-FsFI9hBSFKCRBJ7)
Only one of the following can be installed at once:
Ascape Core 5.2.0.v200909231833-61-7w311A1A342944 (org.ascape.core.feature.jar 5.2.0.v200909231833-61-7w311A1A342944)
Ascape Core 5.2.0.v200911152332-61-7w311A22263443 (org.ascape.core.feature.jar 5.2.0.v200911152332-61-7w311A22263443)
Cannot satisfy dependency:
From: Ascape Core 5.2.0.v200909231833-61-7w311A1A342944 (org.ascape.core.feature.group 5.2.0.v200909231833-61-

7w311A1A342944)
To: org.ascape.core.feature.jar [5.2.0.v200909231833-61-7w311A1A342944]
From: Ascape Core 5.2.0.v200911152332-61-7w311A22263443 (org.ascape.core.feature.group 5.2.0.v200911152332-61-

7w311A22263443)
To: org.ascape.core.feature.jar [5.2.0.v200911152332-61-7w311A22263443]
From: Complete Ascape SDK 5.2.0.v200909231833-7B3-7GM9Mz-FsFI9hBSFKCRBJ7 (org.ascape.sdk.feature.group 5.2.0.v200909231833-

7B3-7GM9Mz-FsFI9hBSFKCRBJ7)
To: org.ascape.core.feature.group [5.2.0.v200909231833-61-7w311A1A342944]
From: AMP Escape (Incubation) 0.5.0.v200911152332-67b-BuaMUuGTPz0nccfOKMK8 (org.eclipse.amp.escape.feature.group

0.5.0.v200911152332-67b-BuaMUuGTPz0nccfOKMK8)
To: org.ascape.core.feature.group [5.2.0.v200911152332-61-7w311A22263443]
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------

The version number on the Ascape it is trying to install is higher than the other one mentioned in the error message, which I presume is the one I already installed. So I'm going to uninstall the old AScape and see what happens... It balks when I try to uninstall just one of the three Ascape components, so I'm going to try to uninstall all of them...

Now re-installing AMP... which this time works OK...

------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------

Now, creating a new 'MetaABM for AScape' project' called 'TestProject'

The project is created but immediately has some kind of error; the warning is:

"No required execution environment has been set" in resource MANIFEST.MF

I tried creating a metaabm file (model), and that worked- the model file appeared and opened in the editor- but then I decided to change tacks and go for the epidemic example, following the 'Running_Examples' page on the wiki.eclipse.org/AMP/ documentation. I downloaded it. The file tries to download as Epidemic.xml on my machine, and this can be dragged into the project but doesn't do anything. So I renamed it Epidemic.metaabm, and now I can drag it into the project and open it in the editor; I see 'Individual' and 'Location' agents. There is still the same warning about execution environment.

So:

I right-click on the Epidemic.metaabm file in the package explorer and it has 'Execute' and 'Execute Headless'; I decide to try

'Execute' and I get an error box that reads:
------------------------------------------------------------ ----
An internal error occurred during 'Run Epidemic.metaabm'

Could not read class: name.milesparker.epi.Epidemic. Please ensure that the class exists in class path.
Couldn't find class: name.milesparker.epi.Epidemic

An internal error occurred during: "Run Epidemic.metaabm".
------------------------------------------------------------ -----

So I try right-clicking on the Epidemic (root) node in the editor, and choosing 'Run As' ... 'Ascape Model' This gives me an error box (and a message in the console matching):

Error box:
Could not find the main class: org.ascape.runtime.swing.SwingRunner

Console:
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/ascape/runtime/swing/SwingRunner
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.ascape.runtime.swing.SwingRunner
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "main"

This seems tractable, so I'm going to try loading _part of_ the ascape tools...

Very odd: opening the 'Install new software' dialog gives me an error:

Some sites could not be found. See the error log for more detail.
NLS missing message: Unexpected_exception in: org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.updatesite.metadata.messages
java.lang.NullPointerException
NLS missing message: Unexpected_exception in: org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.updatesite.metadata.messages

Hmmmm.... I'm going to ignore that for now...
... actually now it claims it can't find any update sites at all... my Internet connection is OK, so...? Restarting eclipse makes this problem go away, apparently...

Installing the Ascape swing runtime from the Ascape site... eclipse re-starts...

And right-clicking on the root node in the editor and choosing 'Run As'...'Ascape Model' opens Ascape (hooray!) and then gives this in the console:

-----------------------------------------------------
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.RuntimeException: Couldn't find class: name.milesparker.epi.Epidemic
at org.ascape.runtime.Runner.instanceFromName(Runner.java:925)
at org.ascape.runtime.Runner.open(Runner.java:973)
at org.ascape.runtime.Runner.open(Runner.java:957)
at org.ascape.runtime.Runner.launch(Runner.java:662)
at org.ascape.runtime.swing.SwingRunner.main(SwingRunner.java:7 1)
-----------------------------------------------------

I next choose 'Run As'...'Simphony Model', just to see what happens Simphony opens, but the 'Scenario Tree' is empty. No error message, though.

Figuring there must be something more going on I try to open the 'srcgen' package in Package Explorer. It contains nothing.

I execute an eclipse 'Clean...' and try to clean and re-build the project... nothing happens.

Last step: ...I post to the AMP forums....

[Updated on: Sat, 21 November 2009 14:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #499398 is a reply to message #499369] Sat, 21 November 2009 20:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miles Parker is currently offline Miles ParkerFriend
Hi John,

A lot of stuff here -- thanks for the detail i-- t really is helpful esp. to other users. In general I think we are running up against issues in update sites, dependencies, Vista and clarity WRT documentation. Please see detailed responses below.

First, I'm going to ask you to switch to the "nightly" update site, as there were some issues building the interim site last week that might have contributed to the issues below. Just add the nightly site and then choose Check for Updates.

John T. Murphy wrote on Sat, 21 November 2009 09:40
Below is a 'stream of consciousness' account of a clean install of AMP.

There are a few problems, but the two most important are:

1) When installing there is a conflict between the Ascape components listed as 'optional' on the 'Build sites' page and the components that are included in the AMP distribution itself. I initially installed all of the Ascape components from the optional Ascape site, then had to uninstall them because of this conflict; after this I had to re-install the Ascape 'swing' components from the Ascape site.

Yes, I'm surprised that they are not compatible. Sometimes P2 (basically, the Eclipse update manager) is weirdly hostile to minor differences in versioning. But you took exactly the right strategy; uninstall the conflicting component (in this case the separate Ascape bits) and then reinstall the additional bits afterward.

As a general recommendation, if folks run into issues, you want to simplify things as much as possible as John did here. If you start from a bare-bones SDK, AMP will install but when the dependencies pile up we may run into issues we need to resolve.

Quote:

2) The end of my installation was not successful; when attempting to run a model I get a ClassDefNotFound error, and no code is output to the srcgen directory.

OK, this sounds like a class path issue.

John's notes:

Quote:

At the 'Update Sites' page:

I was confused by this: The top of the page lists the update sites; the bottom of the page lists 'optional' updates. However, the 'optional' sites must be loaded first, so listing them at the bottom is confusing; moreover, the note indicates that they are only optional if the user intends to opt out of some of AMP's features, but there is no concordance listing which features require which components, so the default has to be to install all of these 'optional' features first.

I think also that the "Update sites' page should tell the user which version of eclipse is required (and link to it).

Good ideas. Fixed, please see: http://eclipse.org/amp/installing/updates.php

Quote:

--snip--
Now, to AMP update: using the 'interim' site...

First note: I know I used the interim site, but the two things that appear (Agent Modeling and Agent Modeling extensions) both describe themselves as 'Nightly')...

Yep, this is just a deployment glitch, we'll fix but what you're getting is correct.

Quote:
Second, the Agent Modeling (Nightly) element contains Ascape Core... I'm again selecting 'install everything'... and it balks,

saying 'AScape core is already installed; an update will be performed instead.' I'm deselecting Ascape core from the list and it lets me go forward... but then balks again:

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------
Software being installed: AMP Escape (Incubation) 0.5.0.v200911152332-67b-BuaMUuGTPz0nccfOKMK8
--snip--

The version number on the Ascape it is trying to install is higher than the other one mentioned in the error message, which I presume is the one I already installed. So I'm going to uninstall the old AScape and see what happens... It balks when I try to uninstall just one of the three Ascape components, so I'm going to try to uninstall all of them...

Yuck. This should not be happening as the pre-requisites are based on the version numbers (5.2.0) not the release build number. Something weird going on here, which I'll look into. In the meantime, people should follow the guidelines on the latest update site and install the core stuff first, then the dependencies then the extensions.

Quote:

Now re-installing AMP... which this time works OK...

Or did it..? See below..

Quote:

Now, creating a new 'MetaABM for AScape' project' called 'TestProject'

The project is created but immediately has some kind of error; the warning is:

"No required execution environment has been set" in resource MANIFEST.MF

That's not really a problem, just a hyperactive PDE warning. You could set this to 1.6 if you want it to go away, but I didn't want to forestall either 1.5 or 1.6 as might be appropriate for a specific platform.

Quote:

I tried creating a metaabm file (model), and that worked- the model file appeared and opened in the editor- but then I decided to change tacks and go for the epidemic example, following the 'Running_Examples' page on the wiki.eclipse.org/AMP/ documentation. I downloaded it. The file tries to download as Epidemic.xml on my machine, and this can be dragged into the project but doesn't do anything. So I renamed it Epidemic.metaabm, and now I can drag it into the project and open it in the editor.. --snip--

OK, that's just Vista ugliness. Wink

Quote:

I right-click on the Epidemic.metaabm file in the package explorer and it has 'Execute' and 'Execute Headless'; I decide to try

'Execute' and I get an error box that reads:
------------------------------------------------------------ ----
An internal error occurred during 'Run Epidemic.metaabm'

Could not read class: name.milesparker.epi.Epidemic. Please ensure that the class exists in class path.

An internal error occurred during: "Run Epidemic.metaabm".
------------------------------------------------------------ -----

OK, this is really the major issue. We should be running at this point. In that project, can you navigate to srcgen/name/milesparker/epi directory and verify that there is in fact an Epidemic.java file in there, and that you don't have any red markers on any of your Java files?

Quote:
So I try right-clicking on the Epidemic (root) node in the editor, and choosing 'Run As' ... 'Ascape Model' This gives me an error box (and a message in the console matching):
--big snip--
I next choose 'Run As'...'Simphony Model', just to see what happens Simphony opens, but the 'Scenario Tree' is empty. No error message, though.

Yes, neither of those will work. You can only run models for a target platform from their target platform projects. Ideally we'd have project natures defined for these and only enable those choices for enabled project natures. Feel free to add a feature request for this.

Quote:

Figuring there must be something more going on I try to open the 'srcgen' package in Package Explorer. It contains nothing.
I execute an eclipse 'Clean...' and try to clean and re-build the project... nothing happens.

OK, this answers my question above! Let's verify that the Escape builder is properly installed. Please:

1. Right-click on project.
2. Select "Build Path:Configure Build Path.."
3. Go to "Builders" entry.

You should have a set of Escape builders showing up there.

Quote:

Last step: ...I post to the AMP forums....

Good idea. Smile Seems we basically need to figure out why you can't run the Epidemic model form your Escape project. Please see the questions in-line above.

cheers,

Miles
Re: Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #499399 is a reply to message #499369] Sat, 21 November 2009 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One other note.. you technically don't need to install the sourceforge Ascape plugins in order to install the feature. So you can actually safely install that one last. Smile
Re: Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #499406 is a reply to message #499369] Sun, 22 November 2009 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John T. MurphyFriend
Miles,

When I click on the Build Path... Configure Build Path... Builders, as you recommend, here is what I see:

Configure the builders for this project:
MetaABM for Ascape
MetaABM Documentation
Java Builder
Plug-in Manifest Builder
Extension Point Schema Builder

All of these are are checked, but I don't see any mention of EScape....

Best,
John
Re: Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #499414 is a reply to message #499406] Sun, 22 November 2009 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John T. Murphy wrote on Sat, 21 November 2009 20:01
Miles,

When I click on the Build Path... Configure Build Path... Builders, as you recommend, here is what I see:

Configure the builders for this project:
MetaABM for Ascape
MetaABM Documentation
Java Builder
Plug-in Manifest Builder
John

OK, good. That means that the solution is probably simple. Instead of creating an "Escape Project" you created an "Ascape Project". That one creates documentation artifacts and support for Ascape models. So to create an Escape project, go to New.. and choose that instead from the Ascape Modeling Perspective. (You may have to reset your perspective.)

Now, if you want to run it as an Ascape model from the current project you can do that as well. We just need to get the Ascape support installed for you and I think I've figured that out as well. There is a problem with the SDK feature on the Ascape site but you don't need it. So go to the Ascape Sourfeforge site and select *only* the Swing feature.

Let me know how this works..
Re: Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #499590 is a reply to message #499414] Mon, 23 November 2009 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John T. MurphyFriend
Miles,

I really thought I posted this yesterday, but it disappeared... I must have clicked something wrong when I submitted it...?

I cleared out the entire existing project, then switched to the Agent Modeling perspective and used File...New to create a new Escape project. There was, as I recall, some issue along the way: the 'Help' window wouldn't open and gave, instead, a white page with a ClassNotFoundException error, and then trying to hit update sites failed again, claiming there was no software available at any of them. Re-starting eclipse fixed this.

In any case, the new project has a different build configuration; the builders are:

Escape MetaABMBuilder
Escape MetaABM Style Builder
Escape MetaABM 3D Styles Builder
MetaABM Documentation
Java Builder
Plug-in Manifest Builder

I dragged the Epidemic model into it and was able to open it in the editor.

I clicked (and am repeating again now; switching to present tense, captain...) I right-click on the root node in the editor and select Run As Ascape model; I receive a ClassNotFound error:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/ascape/runtime/swing/SwingRunner
Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.ascape.runtime.swing.SwingRunner
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "main"

So it is again not finding Ascape Swing. I try to Install New Software by installing only the Swing feature, and eclipse says:

Cannot complete the request. See the error log for details.
"Ascape Swing Runtime" will be ignored because it is already installed.

Looking at the list of software already installed, I see the Ascape Core and the Ascape Swing Runtime.

My srcgen directory is still empty, as is bin.

Next steps...?

I'll also submit that feature request...

Best, and thanks,
John
Re: Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #499758 is a reply to message #499590] Tue, 24 November 2009 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, that was just me being unclear, sorry. From an Escape project, you want to launch it as an Escape model, not an Ascape model. So right-click on the model and choose "Execute".
Re: Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #499771 is a reply to message #499758] Tue, 24 November 2009 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John T. MurphyFriend
Thanks-

I created new Escape project, dragged in Epidemic file as before.

Right-clicking on the Epidemic.metaabm file in the Package Explorer allows 'Execute' and 'Execute Headless'

I get the following error with either one of these:

srcgen and bin directories are still empty; I think I remember from using metascape that these should get the generated and compiled code before the model will execute, right? If so, is this where it's looking for the milesparker.epi.Epidemic class and not finding it?
Re: Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #500408 is a reply to message #499771] Thu, 26 November 2009 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

John, please see below..

John T. Murphy wrote on Mon, 23 November 2009 21:47
Thanks-
If so, is this where it's looking for the milesparker.epi.Epidemic class and not finding it?

Yep, exactly. It sounds like you've got everything setup correctly. Could you zip up your project and attach it here?

BTW, sorry for the long responses. I haven't had the post notification setup properly.

-Miles
Re: Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #500425 is a reply to message #499369] Thu, 26 November 2009 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John, I got your project. Everything works fine for me so that narrows it down to an issue with your eclipse install. Let's first make sure we're on the same page. Can you update to the latest nightly build?
Re: Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #500612 is a reply to message #499369] Fri, 27 November 2009 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[I'm posting for John who is having trouble with forum posting.]

OK...

Tried 'install new software'; because I had used the 'interim' update site I
had to change the URL of the site definition to 'nightly'. (Rather
sheepishly... you told me early on to 'switch to the nightly site' but I
stuck with the interim site because I already had everything installed and
didn't think you meant to go back and reinstall, just use the nightly site
going forward... sorry)

On doing this, eclipse balked because it would not 'install' but would
rather 'update'...

So, from 'Help... Check for Updates' I get the following message, a list of
AMP things it appears it would like to update, but:

Software being installed: AMP Escape (Incubation)
0.5.0.v200911252228-67b-CibNN7ETVvnY_BJDDJK
(org.eclipse.amp.escape.feature.group
0.5.0.v200911252228-67b-CibNN7ETVvnY_BJDDJK)
Software currently installed: Ascape Core
5.2.0.v200911152332-61-7w311A22263443 (org.ascape.core.feature.group
5.2.0.v200911152332-61-7w311A22263443)
Only one of the following can be installed at once:
Ascape Core 5.2.0.v200909231833 (org.ascape.core 5.2.0.v200909231833)
Ascape Core 5.2.0.v200911152332 (org.ascape.core 5.2.0.v200911152332)
Ascape Core 5.2.0.v200911252228 (org.ascape.core 5.2.0.v200911252228)
(org.ascape.core.feature.group 5.2.0.v200911152332-61-7w311A22263443)
To: org.ascape.core [5.2.0.v200911152332]
0.5.0.v200911252228-67b-CibNN7ETVvnY_BJDDJK
(org.eclipse.amp.escape.feature.group
0.5.0.v200911252228-67b-CibNN7ETVvnY_BJDDJK)
To: org.ascape.core [5.2.0.v200911252228]

If I read this correctly, it says that:

AMP Escape (Incubation) 0.5.0.v200911252228-67b-CibNN7ETVvnY_BJDDJK

which is what I'm trying to install from the 'nightly' site, requires:

org.ascape.core [5.2.0.v200911252228]

But what I have installed is:

Ascape Core 5.2.0.v200911152332-61-7w311A22263443
(org.ascape.core.feature.group 5.2.0.v200911152332-61-7w311A22263443)

which is requires:

org.ascape.core [5.2.0.v200911152332] (itself?)

[and I can't have the two versions of ascape core (the Nov 25th and the Nov
15th) installed at the same time.]

The implication is that I need a version of Ascape Core that is/requires the
Nov 25th org.ascape.core version

So, I'm going to look for an update to the ascape...

At "http://ascape.sourceforge.net/eclipse" there are three components,
'Core', 'Runtime' and 'SDK'; the versions are all Sept 23rd...

At this point I'm tempted to hack the plugin definition of the ascape core
and just change it to the number it requires... I suppose lightning wouldn't
strike me down from above, but...

Instead I just uninstalled the Ascape components. After that I did another
'Check for updates'. This time LOTS of things seemed to update- I saw
flashing on the screen some eclipse URLS, some repast URLS- these appeared
to download things, not just check for updates; trying it again flashes lots
of URLs but looks different as it does so- and, then, eventually, a screen
where I was allowed to choose which of the AMP components to update; I
selected them all, and that's what happened.

When I returned to eclipse (after a re-start): voilá! information in the
srcgen and doc directories (nice!), and also bin.

I can now 'execute' as you instructed, and it runs in eclipse. I can also
create a MetaABM Simphony project, copy the epidemic.metaabm file into it
and run in Simphony; and I can create a MetaABM Ascape project and run there
as well.

Looks good!

I am still getting an error in the Escape project, a generated .java file
called Epidemic3D. It does not recognize the following types:

org.eclipse.amp.agf3d.I3DModelFactoryProvider
org.eclipse.amp.escape.ascape.agf3d.GEF3DView
org.eclipse.amp.escape.ascape.adapt.Ascape3DPartFactory

Everything runs OK in the default 2-D view, but I suspect there is some kind
of 3-D visualization that would hiccup if I tried it.

For the sake of resolution, is it possible to determine exactly what was
wrong and where it was failing? Clearly I had some things interfering with
one another, but it would be nice to know exactly what and how it was
leading to the observed behavior. We can then flag the problem and avoid
going forward. (Flag number 1: when Miles says use the nightly site, use
it...). I'm still a bit unclear about which Ascape is required, etc.- it
appears none of it is. I could try to replicate the problem and/or track the
instructions and make sure they don't lead anyone else astray.

[snip...]
Re: Problems installing and running (Vista Home 64 bit) [message #500613 is a reply to message #500612] Fri, 27 November 2009 07:30 Go to previous message
OK, now I'm going to reply to myself posing as John. Smile

John Murphy wrote on Fri, 27 November 2009 02:14

At this point I'm tempted to hack the plugin definition of the ascape core
and just change it to the number it requires... I suppose lightning wouldn't
strike me down from above, but...

I wouldn't count on it. I mean, I've done that kind of thing before but then I find myself looking up at the sky nervously..

Quote:

For the sake of resolution, is it possible to determine exactly what was
wrong and where it was failing? Clearly I had some things interfering with
one another, but it would be nice to know exactly what and how it was
leading to the observed behavior.

Yep.. Here's the run down on what went wrong and why and why it hopefully won't happen again.. The AMP install up until a week ago had an Ascape feature -- the problem is that that feature has exactly the same id (it's exactly the same) as the one on the sourceforge site. Seeing issues that you had mentioned on other installs and realizing that it wasn't a separate feature that anyone would need (you'd want it only a s dependency from either Escape or Ascape Swing), I removed it as a separate feature. Now there shouldn't be any issues with separate versions. But you were kind of stuck in the middle, and you did the right thing by just back tracing your steps.

Quote:

When I returned to eclipse (after a re-start): voilá! information in the
srcgen and doc directories (nice!), and also bin.

What we like to hear..

Quote:

I can now 'execute' as you instructed, and it runs in eclipse. I can also
create a MetaABM Simphony project, copy the epidemic.metaabm file into it
and run in Simphony; and I can create a MetaABM Ascape project and run there
as well.

Cool. No particular issues with Simphony install? That's the one that has the ost potential to go south I would have thought.

Quote:

I am still getting an error in the Escape project, a generated .java file
called Epidemic3D. It does not recognize the following types:

org.eclipse.amp.agf3d.I3DModelFactoryProvider
org.eclipse.amp.escape.ascape.agf3d.GEF3DView
org.eclipse.amp.escape.ascape.adapt.Ascape3DPartFactory

Everything runs OK in the default 2-D view, but I suspect there is some kind
of 3-D visualization that would hiccup if I tried it.

Yep, this is also a recent change. Last week I added in code generation support for 3D. There is a little issue with this in that the builder generates code for AGF3D, but AGF3D isn't a required dependency for Escape to work. We need a sepeate project wizard or nature for 3D vs. plain 2D escape projects, see: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=295936. But until that happens I had to decide wether to add the 3D builder and dependency in. They're both in there now, so if you create a new Escape project you should be good. But you can make your existing project work by adding org.eclipse.amp.escape.ascape.agf3d to your plugin dependencies in your MANIFEST.MF file.

cheers,

Miles

[Updated on: Fri, 27 November 2009 07:32]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:AMP Screencasts..
Next Topic:simple life abm
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:14:18 GMT 2024