Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows( "Error while launching command: gdb --version")
Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #499346] Sat, 21 November 2009 00:41 Go to next message
yyy  is currently offline yyy Friend
I've just installed Eclipse on Windows XP and when I click the debug buttons I get the following message: "Error while launching command: gdb --version"

Any idea what the problem could be?

[Updated on: Sat, 21 November 2009 00:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #499391 is a reply to message #499346] Sat, 21 November 2009 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yyy  is currently offline yyy Friend
Problem solved - here's what I did:

Select Run, Debug Configurations and click the Debugger tab, now choose a gdb debugger by clicking Browse and selecting gdb.exe from the "bin" folder of your MingW folder (which was located inside the eclipse folder in my case).
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #544460 is a reply to message #499391] Fri, 02 July 2010 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Issmail  is currently offline Issmail Friend
Hello!

Thank you for your explanation. It was util and helped me to solve a problem.
icon9.gif  Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #631916 is a reply to message #499346] Sun, 10 October 2010 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arturo  is currently offline Arturo Friend
where should I download Mingw,
my "bin" folder of my mingw folder doesnt contain gdb.exe
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #646050 is a reply to message #499346] Tue, 21 December 2010 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Janos Kutscherauer is currently offline Janos KutscherauerFriend
Hello,
i've had the same 2 problems:
1. Eclipse Helios/CDT on Windows XP, and the error "Error while launching command: gdb --version".
2. No gdb.exe in "mingw/bin".

(I might have one day deleted the gdb.exe myself from that place to resolve conflicting paths with Cygwin or MSPGcc or something like that).

So here is how i solved it:
1. Re-installed MinGW: Downloaded and ran the installer from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mingw/files/Automated%20MinG W%20Installer/mingw-get/. I just overwrote my existing MinGw directory/installation.
2. Made sure, that "C:/MinGw/bin" is on the PATH. (tried typing "gdb" into the windows command prompt to verify that gdb.exe is there).
3. In the Eclipse Debug configuration, at the "Debugger" tab, i simply entered "gdb" as the "GDB debugger". Supplying the full path will of course also do.

Hope that helps,
Cheers
Janosch
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #787980 is a reply to message #544460] Wed, 01 February 2012 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prasmit Pansare is currently offline Prasmit PansareFriend
Hi Janosch ,

i followed ur steps for dubugging. But now thred is initialised but its not mobving ahead. i cant see my output. If i use run as local c++ appllication then nothing appeares. Please suggest.
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #788016 is a reply to message #787980] Wed, 01 February 2012 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prasmit Pansare is currently offline Prasmit PansareFriend
Prasmit Pansare wrote on Wed, 01 February 2012 02:48
Hi Janosch ,

i followed ur steps for dubugging. But now thred is initialised but its not mobving ahead. i cant see my output. If i use run as local c++ appllication then nothing appeares. Please suggest.

Re: https://www.windowstechnicalsupportnumbers.com/ [message #1796714 is a reply to message #499346] Thu, 18 October 2018 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonny jain is currently offline jonny jainFriend
Hi, I have installed Eclipse Juno for C++ Project Development in my system then we can compile my project and then execute within Eclipse and in a window. I got an error message Window. then I can mail to Window Technical Support to get a better solution.
Re: https://www.windowstechnicalsupportnumbers.com/ [message #1796795 is a reply to message #1796714] Fri, 19 October 2018 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc-André Laperle is currently offline Marc-André LaperleFriend
Juno is very old. I suggest you try a newer version.
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/release/2018-09/r/eclipse-ide-cc-developers
You can also do "check for updates" to get the latest CDT (C/C++) after you install the Eclipse package above.
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #1796873 is a reply to message #499346] Sat, 20 October 2018 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jacky malvirro is currently offline jacky malvirroFriend
I have introduced Eclipse Juno for C++ Project Development in my framework then we can aggregate my undertaking and afterward execute inside Eclipse and in a window. I got a mistake message Window. at that point I can mail to Window Technical Support to show signs of improvement arrangement.
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #1816783 is a reply to message #1796873] Wed, 06 November 2019 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Feng Zhang is currently offline Feng ZhangFriend
Please go to stackoverflow.com search for "Debug C/C++ application on linux through Eclipse". I have made everything work as Nov 2019
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #1818200 is a reply to message #499346] Tue, 10 December 2019 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saeed Almazrouei is currently offline Saeed AlmazroueiFriend
Anyone installed MinGW (Windows), can get gdb.exe with the following:

1. From "Start" menu go to "MinGW Installation Manager".
  2. Search in the "Package" list for "mingw32-gdb-bin" and mark it for installation.
  3. Go to "Installation" menu from the menu-bar choose "Apply Changes" in there.
  4. Again click on "Apply" button to proceed.

After that you will be able to find the gdb.exe.

As mentioned previously, don't forget to add the "C:/MinGW/bin"(<-usually in this directory) to the PATH. (which will make it easier for Eclipse to search for it)
Re: Can't debug on Eclipse C/C++ on Windows [message #1843041 is a reply to message #499346] Tue, 13 July 2021 03:06 Go to previous message
Isaac Tait is currently offline Isaac TaitFriend
If you are running into this issue on a mac I followed a tutorial on dev(dot)to by jasonelwood titled "Setup gdb on macOS in 2020" I am unable to post a link here because I am a new user. If you want the link I have added it to my profile bio.
Previous Topic:Error with ESP32-C3
Next Topic:Error Copying Volume
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 08:27:31 GMT 2024