Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » UML2 » Searching UML2 Plug-In to extend (Extend a UML2-Tool to generate classes for language)
Searching UML2 Plug-In to extend [message #496062] Sat, 07 November 2009 18:40 Go to next message
VanessaMartinez  is currently offline VanessaMartinez Friend
Hello,

I am searching for a possiblity to enhance an UML-Modeler to create classes/interfaces/.. for a new language.

Because I am new and have no clue which UML-Modeler are available as open source it would be really good if someone could me support with the name of an/some UML-Modeler that give me the possibilty to enhance in a way that I am able to generate classes/interfaces for a new language and that I am able to change in the way I want to.

Sorry for the confusing description. Somehow I am just in the starting process and I am searching for ideas how to get started with this.

Have a nice day,
Vanessa

[Updated on: Sat, 07 November 2009 18:40]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Searching UML2 Plug-In to extend [message #496086 is a reply to message #496062] Sun, 08 November 2009 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Timothy Marc is currently offline Timothy MarcFriend
Hi Vanessa,

what do you mean by "... for a new language". UML is a general purpose
language, which is not restricted to any particular language; rather, it
bundles OO-concepts to reuse them for any kind of language (either
oo-related or not). So, if your "new language" supports concepts like
classes and instances, you can use UML for both the modeling of a system
and for code generation (of any programming language).

Timothy

VanessaMartinez schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I am searching for a possiblity to enhance an UML-Modeler to create
> classes/interfaces/.. for a new language.
> Because I am new and have no clue which UML-Modeler are available as
> open source it would be really good if someone could me support with the
> name of an/some UML-Modeler that give me the possibilty to enhance in a
> way that I am able to generate classes/interfaces for a new language and
> that I am able to change in the way I want to.
>
> Sorry for the confusing description. Somehow I am just in the starting
> process and I am searching for ideas how to get started with this.
> Have a nice day, Vanessa
Re: Searching UML2 Plug-In to extend [message #496442 is a reply to message #496086] Tue, 10 November 2009 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello and thanks for pointing this out, Timothy.

My "project" is to develop an UML-Editor for a new language. I am searching for the GUI that enables the user to build the UML-class-diagram.
This is the base.
With this UML-Editor my task would be to enhance it. I need to develop the code to generate the neccessary code for the classes/interfaces. So I "just" need a UML-Editor as a framework to develop my own implementation for the new language.

What I would like to know is if there is a tool available to enhance, (if yes, which one and what do I have to do to enhance this).

Hope I could clearify what I need and want to do.

Thanks a lot,
Vanessa
Re: Searching UML2 Plug-In to extend [message #496728 is a reply to message #496062] Wed, 11 November 2009 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Neustupny is currently offline Thomas NeustupnyFriend
Hi Vanessa,

for your extension, I suggest that you first decide how deep/shallow it should be: is it enough to use custom stereotypes (they can have arbitrary many properties for aditional parameters) for your model elements, or do you need an extended notation based on the UML metamodel, or do you really need to change the UML metamodel?

Life is easy if you can live with the stereotype approach. Then, you create a profile, apply it to your model, apply stereotypes to model elements, add properties ("tagged values") to the stereotyped model elements if needed, and implement your code generator to consider the stereotypes during code generation.

Changing the notation (creating a custom diagram type) would be possible too. I just can tell how this is done in ArgoUML, because I'm a user/developer in this open source UML editor. I can't help you with other graphical UML editors like UML2Tools or Papyrus. Also I have no clue what to do when you think you need to change the metamodel.

Regards,
Thomas
Re: Searching UML2 Plug-In to extend [message #497023 is a reply to message #496062] Thu, 12 November 2009 10:04 Go to previous message
Vlad Varnica is currently offline Vlad VarnicaFriend
+1 for Thomas post because the use stereotypes without creating a new metamodel is the best approach.

Vlad,
Re: Searching UML2 Plug-In to extend [message #628038 is a reply to message #496086] Tue, 10 November 2009 06:35 Go to previous message
Hello and thanks for pointing this out, Timothy.

My "project" is to develop an UML-Editor for a new language. I am searching for the GUI that enables the user to build the UML-class-diagram.
This is the base.
With this UML-Editor my task would be to enhance it. I need to develop the code to generate the neccessary code for the classes/interfaces. So I "just" need a UML-Editor as a framework to develop my own implementation for the new language.

What I would like to know is if there is a tool available to enhance, (if yes, which one and what do I have to do to enhance this).

Hope I could clearify what I need and want to do.

Thanks a lot,
Vanessa
Previous Topic:Deployment Diagram
Next Topic:Searching UML2 Plug-In to extend
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:47:50 GMT 2024