Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » Upgrading product fails?
Upgrading product fails? [message #495850] Fri, 06 November 2009 12:01 Go to next message
Torbjørn G. Dahle is currently offline Torbjørn G. DahleFriend
I've got a feature-based product that depends on two eclipse features (RCP and P2), and one of my own features. Since it seems I have to depend on a specific version of that feature, it depends on version 1.0.0, let's say. I export this product using Export->Eclipse product, and generate a metadata repository. This results in a functioning version of my product getting exported.

Now, I make a change in a plugin, and update the plugin version. Then I upgrade my feature to 1.0.1. Now my product is no longer valid, since it was referring to 1.0,0, so I change it to 1.0.1. Since I only want to create an update site this time, I use Export->Deployable features, select my feature and export it to a different location. This results in what looks like a good update site.

However, when I run the exported application and point it at the update site, and select Check for Updates, it says there are none. If I select Install new software and open the update site, it finds the updated feature (1.0.1) but with a "cycle" icon next to it (which I guess means update?). If I try to install it, though, I get the following error:

Your original request has been modified.
"My Feature" is already installed, so an update will be performed instead.
Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.
Software being installed: My Feature 1.0.1 (com.test.feature.group 1.0.1)
Software currently installed: My Product 1.11.0 (com.test.product 1.11.0)
Only one of the following can be installed at once:
My Feature 1.0.1 (com.test.feature.jar 1.0.1)
My Feature 1.11.0 (com.test.feature.jar 1.11.0)
Cannot satisfy dependency:
To: com.test.feature.jar [1.11.0]
To: com.test.feature.jar [1.0.1]
To: com.test.feature.group [1.11.0]

I assume I'm doing something wrong, although I'm not sure where to look. Am I correct assuming that I should be able to upgrade my exported product from this update site? Could there be something wrong in my dependency setup? Is this even the right forum?
Re: Upgrading product fails? [message #495870 is a reply to message #495850] Fri, 06 November 2009 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually, it turns out there's a simpler way to get this problem. If I after upgrading the plugin, feature and product, export the application to the same location, the export fails with this very similar message:

Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.

Software being installed: My Product 1.0.1 (com.test.product 1.0.1)

Software currently installed: My Product 1.0.0 (com.test.product 1.0.0)

Only one of the following can be installed at once:

My Product 1.0.1 (com.test.product 1.0.1)

My Product 1.0.0 (com.test.product 1.0.0)

Is this just that it's wrong to export different versions of the same product to the same folder (I assumed this would "update it"), or is it indicative of something fundamentally wrong with my setup?
Re: Upgrading product fails? [message #495882 is a reply to message #495870] Fri, 06 November 2009 13:57 Go to previous message
Turns out I was probably wrong about the whole Export->Deployable features thing after all. If I just export the updated product to a different location, the old product finds the updated product in the new repository.

Now there's a new problem, however. After updating, nothing happens, and I'm not asked to restart. The features and plugins are all in place, but not loaded. The log says:

!MESSAGE Backup of file c:\workspaces\test\export\product\1.0.0\test\jre\lib\jce.jar failed.
!STACK 0
java.io.IOException: File that was copied to backup could not be deleted: c:\workspaces\test\export\product\1.0.0\test\jre\lib\jce.jar
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.BackupSto re.backup(BackupStore.java:258)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.LazyBacku pStore.backup(LazyBackupStore.java:36)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.actions.C leanupzipAction.cleanupzip(CleanupzipAction.java:86)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.actions.C leanupzipAction.execute(CleanupzipAction.java:30)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.ParameterizedProvisio ningAction.execute(ParameterizedProvisioningAction.java:35)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.Phase.mai nPerform(Phase.java:129)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.Phase.per form(Phase.java:72)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.PhaseSet. perform(PhaseSet.java:44)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.engine.Engine.pe rform(Engine.java:54)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.operations.Pr ovisioningUtil.performProvisioningPlan(ProvisioningUtil.java :389)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.operations.Pr ofileModificationOperation.doExecute(ProfileModificationOper ation.java:61)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.operations.Pr ovisioningOperation.execute(ProvisioningOperation.java:37)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.provisional.p2.ui.ProvisioningO perationRunner$1.run(ProvisioningOperationRunner.java:94)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:55)

Anyone know why Eclipse is trying to delete the JRE?
Previous Topic:Project Explorer and Markers
Next Topic:Single Model, TreeViewer, Databinding POJO, automatic update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:43:02 GMT 2024