Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Developer/isv documentation in target platform
Developer/isv documentation in target platform [message #494919] Tue, 03 November 2009 09:19 Go to next message
ttest  is currently offline ttest Friend
Hello,

currently I'm wondering how to deal with developer/isv documentation when developing plug-ins against a target platform, i.e. when not developing in self-hosting mode.

Background is that I'm developing a set of plug-ins which shall be used as a platform by other developers and I want to make Javadocs and other documentation accessible to these other developers. At the same time I recommend to the other developers to use a target platform (with my plug-ins).

Now the issue is, that in such a situation the other developers cannot access the documentation shipped with my plug-ins via the development IDE.

A similar problem also exists when using existing Eclipse projects/SDK like EMF with a target platform. The EMF docs will not be accessible if EMF is only installed in the target platform.

Are there any workarounds or best practice solutions to overcome this Eclipse limitation?

Thanks and best regards,

ttest
Re: Developer/isv documentation in target platform [message #498205 is a reply to message #494919] Sun, 15 November 2009 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mykola Nikishov is currently offline Mykola NikishovFriend
ttest wrote on Tue, 03 November 2009 04:19
A similar problem also exists when using existing Eclipse projects/SDK like EMF with a target platform. The EMF docs will not be accessible if EMF is only installed in the target platform.

What about adding something like 'EMF SDK - Eclipse Modeling Framework SDK' org.eclipse.emf.sdk.feature.group from EMF Update Site - http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/emf/updates/ to your target platform definition? After activating this target definition you'll be able to browse EMF's javadoc and source code.
Re: Developer/isv documentation in target platform [message #500501 is a reply to message #498205] Thu, 26 November 2009 12:53 Go to previous message
ttest  is currently offline ttest Friend
I'm aware of the possibility you are mentioning, this is also what I have done so far.
But when doing that there is still the problem that I cannot access additional EMF documentation as Eclipse help from my development workbench.
Previous Topic:Can markers have attributes not registered using org.eclipse.core.resources.markers?
Next Topic:How to contribute UNDO/REDO actions into properties view from active editor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 04:56:50 GMT 2024