Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » ServerTools (WTP) » Javascript Editor Very Slow(Javascript editor hangs with hour glass often for up to 30 seconds )
Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #493536] Mon, 26 October 2009 17:01 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
When using the Javascript editor, it often hangs for as much as 30 seconds. This most often occurs when selecting classes/methods/function using the Outline view. The interesting thing is that the line numbers in the editor update to the correct spot in the file, but, the source contents don't update for as much as 30 seconds later.

It also occurs occasionally when Copy/Pasting text.

My disk light on the computer is on almost solid when this happens making me thing there is some very large scale memory usage happening that is causing it to swap.

The problem is intermittent. It will work fine one out of every 3-4 times.

Latest updates applied.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 October 2009 17:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #556691 is a reply to message #493536] Thu, 02 September 2010 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Marc  is currently offline Marc Friend
We're at Helios now an I'm still having these memory problems with the javascript editor to the point where I get Eclipse crashes.

I mean, when is this stuff finally going to get fixed?!

Marc
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #556708 is a reply to message #556691] Thu, 02 September 2010 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian Tewksbury is currently offline Ian TewksburyFriend
Marc,

Would you be able to open a bug with more details and possibly attaching a sample JS page that you can reproduce your issue with? Seeing it ourselves is always the best tool we have for fixing any potential issues. We have not personally seen this poor performance you mention, not to say it does not exist, we have just not seen it. So some explicit instructions and sample files would go a long way for some work on improvements.

You can open a detailed bug report here.

Thank You and Blue Skies,

~Ian

Ian Tewksbury
WTP JavaScript Tools
IBM Rational
-----
“When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” ~Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #556716 is a reply to message #556708] Thu, 02 September 2010 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=324299

good luck with it.

Cheers,

Marc
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #556760 is a reply to message #556716] Thu, 02 September 2010 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mauro Molinari is currently offline Mauro MolinariFriend
Il 02/09/2010 14.41, Marc ha scritto:
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=324299
>
> good luck with it.
> Cheers,
>
> Marc

I think it will be hard that this report will ever be looked at if you
don't provide a test case to reproduce (or at least detailed steps to
repro)...

Mauro.
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #556761 is a reply to message #556760] Thu, 02 September 2010 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I don't know how to describe this further. You open the file and weirdness starts to happen. I haven't identified any kind of special behaviour to make this happen although it seems to vary from file to file how bad it is.
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #556877 is a reply to message #556761] Thu, 02 September 2010 23:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Scott Kellicker is currently offline Scott KellickerFriend
Marc,

A couple things come to mind to make the bug reproducible.

Attach the file .js file or that is having the problem. Specify what you are trying to get the outline view of within that file. Tell anything that might be different with that project (you have added xyz library to the path for example) than a plain old vanilla project.

Give some details about the version and environment. e.g. Does it happen with _only_ this file in the product or does one have to have 42 other projects open at the same time.

How high is the memory usage when it happens.

Can you install a new JSDT, create a project with this js file in it and see the behavior?

Etc.

Anything you think would help isolate the bug behavior.
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #556881 is a reply to message #556877] Fri, 03 September 2010 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, the javascript file was added already (to the bug). Have a go with that because I think this behaviour is generic since I had it on various machines. I'll try to describe the environment as best I can
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #556976 is a reply to message #556881] Fri, 03 September 2010 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mauro Molinari is currently offline Mauro MolinariFriend
Il 03/09/2010 3.23, Marc ha scritto:
> Ok, the javascript file was added already (to the bug).

The bug you filed (324299) has no attachments...

Mauro.
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #557004 is a reply to message #556976] Fri, 03 September 2010 15:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm, well, take 2. It should be there now
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #649296 is a reply to message #493536] Tue, 18 January 2011 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bojan Kraut is currently offline Bojan KrautFriend

I'm using SpringSource on Helios. I'm using Javascript editor and the same is happening as described above.

I started to use text editor for our development as this is taking too much time. I have 4 core computer and I have to wait the cursor to move.

I'm developing in ExtJS if it helps.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 January 2011 16:17]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #649309 is a reply to message #649296] Tue, 18 January 2011 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, it's just weird. This major bug has been around for years and basically locks any kind of use you might have for the Javascript error but nobody seems to care. It should be: nobody goes home until its fixed. But, no updates, no nothing. I gave up on trying to understand why. Perhaps you should try something commercial or entirely outside of Eclipse
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #655623 is a reply to message #493536] Tue, 22 February 2011 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John  is currently offline John Friend
I think I've figured out the cause (and a work-around) for this.

I noticed early on that it happened when I was copy and pasting almost exclusively. Then I happened to notice that all I had to do was hit CTRL to make it happen. Then I thought about what CTRL does and realized it activates hyperlinking so you can click method references and jump to the declaration.

Disable hyperlinking and this issue goes away, or at least it did for me:

Window > Preferences > General > Editors > Text Editors > Hyperlinking > Enable on demand hyperlink style navigation (Turn Off)
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #655726 is a reply to message #655623] Tue, 22 February 2011 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ian Tewksbury is currently offline Ian TewksburyFriend
John wrote on Mon, 21 February 2011 20:33
I think I've figured out the cause (and a work-around) for this.

I noticed early on that it happened when I was copy and pasting almost exclusively. Then I happened to notice that all I had to do was hit CTRL to make it happen. Then I thought about what CTRL does and realized it activates hyperlinking so you can click method references and jump to the declaration.

Disable hyperlinking and this issue goes away, or at least it did for me:

Window > Preferences > General > Editors > Text Editors > Hyperlinking > Enable on demand hyperlink style navigation (Turn Off)

The issue you describe here was fixed in WTP 3.2.3.
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=328966

Ian Tewksbury
WTP JavaScript Tools
IBM Rational
-----
“When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.” ~Leonardo da Vinci
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #838160 is a reply to message #493536] Fri, 06 April 2012 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
George Francis is currently offline George FrancisFriend
I am experiencing this phenomenon on Helios with WTP 3.3 on OSX Lion 10.7.3
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #900194 is a reply to message #838160] Sun, 05 August 2012 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whelan Chan is currently offline Whelan ChanFriend
Me too, with Juno release for JavaEE, Build id: 20120614-1722. I am also working with EXTJS.
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #900863 is a reply to message #493536] Wed, 08 August 2012 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Bourne is currently offline Kevin BourneFriend
We are having the same issue with Spring Tool Suite 2.9.1. It started as soon as we started to use Ext JS 4.1. Sometimes it takes 5-10 seconds to perform a copy and paste. We turned off all validators. We also tried turning off autobuild but that didn't help.
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #1058375 is a reply to message #900863] Mon, 13 May 2013 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ronald So is currently offline Ronald SoFriend
Had this issue ever been resolved? I have disabled the hyperlinking setting but copy/paste is slow as hell in the Web perspective. Sigh!!!
Re: Javascript Editor Very Slow [message #1707497 is a reply to message #493536] Sat, 05 September 2015 21:37 Go to previous message
Toby Thain is currently offline Toby ThainFriend
This problem has dogged my Eclipse usage constantly for years, over several releases (including Kepler, Luna, etc).

It mainly afflicts the JavaScript and HTML editors. Pauses of many seconds, not just on copy and paste (though invariably on copy), but also on just clicking and in the file.

It makes Eclipse almost unusable. This even happens on small files (< 50 lines). OS X 10.9, 8GB machine, 8 core, 3GHz Xeon, max heap 2.5GB:

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-Xms256m
-Xmx2536m

I can provide a jvisualvm memory graph if it helps.
Previous Topic:Tomcat 8 deploy to root context not working
Next Topic:jquery not working
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:39:00 GMT 2024