Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » Getting position (Point) of text cursor in editor
Getting position (Point) of text cursor in editor [message #493485] Mon, 26 October 2009 13:48 Go to next message
Andrey  is currently offline Andrey Friend
I'm trying to show custom popup menu at text cursor position in editor. So I create a command and key binding then add command handler where I creates popup menu and open it. But how can I get text cursor position to show my popup at cursor?
Re: Getting position (Point) of text cursor in editor [message #494754 is a reply to message #493485] Mon, 02 November 2009 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Kohles is currently offline Matthias KohlesFriend
do you mean the line number in the opened document where the cursor is currently positioned?
Re: Getting position (Point) of text cursor in editor [message #494785 is a reply to message #494754] Mon, 02 November 2009 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artur Kronenberg is currently offline Artur KronenbergFriend
The current position of your cursor is represented by the offset. When you are in an text editor you can get the ITextEditor like that:

public static ITextEditor getITextEditor(IEditorPart editor) {
		ITextEditor textEditor = null;
		if (editor instanceof ITextEditor) {
			textEditor = (ITextEditor) editor;
		} else {
			textEditor = (ITextEditor) editor.getAdapter(ITextEditor.class);
		}
		return textEditor;
	}

When you have the text editor you can get the ITextSelection and in there the offset.

If you use a handler this might give you the neccessary selection where you find the offset:

HandlerUtil.getCurrentSelection(event)

Best,
Artur
Re: Getting position (Point) of text cursor in editor [message #494927 is a reply to message #494785] Tue, 03 November 2009 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I know how to get offset. But I don't know how to convert offset to exact position in pixels (x,y).
Re: Getting position (Point) of text cursor in editor [message #603076 is a reply to message #494754] Mon, 02 November 2009 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Artur Kronenberg is currently offline Artur KronenbergFriend
The current position of your cursor is represented by the offset. When you are in an text editor you can get the ITextEditor like that:

public static ITextEditor getITextEditor(IEditorPart editor) {
ITextEditor textEditor = null;
if (editor instanceof ITextEditor) {
textEditor = (ITextEditor) editor;
} else {
textEditor = (ITextEditor) editor.getAdapter(ITextEditor.class);
}
return textEditor;
}

When you have the text editor you can get the ITextSelection and in there the offset.

If you use a handler this might give you the neccessary selection where you find the offset:

HandlerUtil.getCurrentSelection(event)

Best,
Artur
Re: Getting position (Point) of text cursor in editor [message #603094 is a reply to message #603076] Tue, 03 November 2009 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, I know how to get offset. But I don't know how to convert offset to exact position in pixels (x,y).
Re: Getting position (Point) of text cursor in editor [message #849879 is a reply to message #603094] Thu, 19 April 2012 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hello NG,
I have the same problem. Is it possible anyhow to resolve the current x
and y coordinates in pixels for the current cursor position in a text
editor for displaying a tooltip at?

best regards,
Gilbert

Andrey wrote:
> Yep, I know how to get offset. But I don't know how to convert offset to
> exact position in pixels (x,y).
Re: Getting position (Point) of text cursor in editor [message #853622 is a reply to message #849879] Mon, 23 April 2012 07:16 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
no ideas?
Previous Topic:Editing Custom Library in Java Build Path
Next Topic:productBuild.xml and optional dependencies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:54:58 GMT 2024