Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Subversive » Merge conflicts not handled by compare view(Getting raw file conflicts, rather than a useful GUI view)
Merge conflicts not handled by compare view [message #492703] Wed, 21 October 2009 13:20 Go to next message
Ben Turner is currently offline Ben TurnerFriend
I've got to admit, I don't feel as convinced by Subversive's handling of switching and merging as I do of other tools (TortoiseSVN) but I would like to use it more to keep all the functions in the one IDE - external tools require eclipse refreshes which can take a long time.

I am using v1.6 subversion libraries for this example.

The GUI issue I have is when merging from a developer / feature branch back to trunk. Previously, I had merged from trunk to this branch, to ensure my developer changes worked with the fully up to date trunk code, and now I was merging my changes back onto trunk.

When I do this through TortoiseSVN (Reintegrate a branch -> From URL = branch URL) I get told about 22 files that were merged, and one conflict, which is a simple one line difference. Simple.

Doing the same merge via Subversive (One URL tab, URL = branch URL, Revisions = start from copy) I get told about 4-5 conflicts though ? And some of the conflicts contain the merge text (.working, .merge-right.r#### and ====== etc...) - please see the attached image

My main question here is why I see the underlying "merge differences" text, where as with Tortoise SVN I see a nice three-way compare dialog to resolve conflicts ? I recall Eclipse CVS hiding the "underlying conflict text" and presenting a GUI for this, so I guess I would be quite surprised if Subversive does not have a similar option ?

Or was my merging flawed ? I did a one URL merge, should it have been a two URL merge ? Also I did not select Reversed Merge - should I have done that ? I did try other options, but found the merge's to have similar discrepancies from what was "expected" (e.g. more conflicts), and next to no GUI assistance with conflict resolution - which added up to a desire to not use subversive to merge ever again !

Please can someone assist me with this, and help me regain my trust of Subversive merging !!!

Thanks,
Ben

[Updated on: Wed, 21 October 2009 13:21]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Merge conflicts not handled by compare view [message #492715 is a reply to message #492703] Wed, 21 October 2009 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't seem to attach images. Ah well - hopefully the text I wrote makes sense without the supportive screenshot !
Re: Merge conflicts not handled by compare view [message #492877 is a reply to message #492703] Thu, 22 October 2009 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Igor Burilo is currently offline Igor BuriloFriend
Hello Ben,

>Doing the same merge via Subversive (One URL tab, URL = branch URL,
>Revisions = start from copy) I get told about 4-5 conflicts though ?
You wrote that when you used TortoiseSVN you got 1 conflict but with
Subversive - 5 conflicts; this is because with TortoiseSVN you used
reintegrate option. In order to use reintegrate merge, switch to Reintegrate
tab of Merge dialog in contrast to 'URL' tab that you used.

>My main question here is why I see the underlying "merge differences" text,
>where as with Tortoise SVN I see a nice three-way compare dialog to resolve
>conflicts ?
Indeed file will have conflict markers (if you have a conflict) in spite of
you use TortoiseSVN, Subversive or some other tool. In order to see
three-way compare dialog in Subversive call 'Edit Conflicts' action from
Synchronize/Merge view or Package Explorer etc. Also take note that there's
a special action 'Edit Tree Conflicts' which helps to resolve tree
conflicts.

In order to get more info how to use Subversive merge, you can refer to
Subversive help, either online
( http://www.eclipse.org/subversive/documentation/teamSupport/ merge_dialog.php)
or from Eclipse help (Subversive User Guide/Team support with SVNR/SVN Merge
Dialog).
Hope it helps.
icon14.gif  Re: Merge conflicts not handled by compare view [message #492905 is a reply to message #492877] Thu, 22 October 2009 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know what - I got an error when I first tried that reintegrate tab. Not sure what I did wrong that time - but this time it worked a charm.

And I guess I was expecting "resolve conflicts" to be the default action for double-click in the merge window. I see it on the right-click menu now, and my GUI joys are once again satisfied.

Thanks for your help - merging has always had a "scary" edge to it since CVS - and with SVN support changing each release it got even scarier for me. I think I'm ready to drop TortoiseSVN in favour of Subversive for merges now, so mission accomplished !
Re: Merge conflicts not handled by compare view [message #493429 is a reply to message #492905] Mon, 26 October 2009 08:58 Go to previous message
Igor Burilo is currently offline Igor BuriloFriend
Hello Ben,

You're welcome. It's a good news that you managed to make merge by using
Subversive.

> You know what - I got an error when I first tried that reintegrate tab.
> Not sure what I did wrong that time - but this time it worked a charm.
>
> And I guess I was expecting "resolve conflicts" to be the default action
> for double-click in the merge window. I see it on the right-click menu
> now, and my GUI joys are once again satisfied.
>
> Thanks for your help - merging has always had a "scary" edge to it since
> CVS - and with SVN support changing each release it got even scarier for
> me. I think I'm ready to drop TortoiseSVN in favour of Subversive for
> merges now, so mission accomplished !
Previous Topic:Can't update/download files from other users
Next Topic:How do I merge a deletion into the branch?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 10:52:53 GMT 2024