Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Linux Tools Project » early LTTng usage
early LTTng usage [message #489021] Thu, 01 October 2009 09:18 Go to next message
hp  is currently offline hp Friend
I know LTTng is yet not part of the official release, but from the SVN repository I see that there's already some stuff available.
When I run this source version I see there's a LTTng perspective available and I can create a new LTTng project.
But that's all I can do.
Is this the current state, or is it possible to try some more features?
Is there any detailed information about LTTng roadmap available?
From the LTP page I can't find more information.

TIA
hp
Re: early LTTng usage [message #490720 is a reply to message #489021] Fri, 09 October 2009 19:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Francois Chouinard is currently offline Francois ChouinardFriend
Hi,

The LTTng integration is not yet ready for prime time Smile

If you really want to give it a try, you will have to do the following:

- Download the latest version of the plugins

- Download and install the latest LTTng trace library (it's a parser written in C) from the Polytechnique git repository. See Bug290060 for installation details.

- Build the lib and launch an Eclipse workbench (with the LTTng plugins...)

- Switch to the LTTng perspective

- Create an LTTng project. 2 directories will be created: Traces and Experiment.

- From the Traces context menu, import one or more traces. If you don't have LTTng traces handy, sample can be found in the org.eclipse.linuxtools.lttng.tests under the traceset/ directory. DON'T USE trace_211064ev_nolost. It is bad.

- From the Experiment context menu, create a new experiment.

- From the new experiment's context menu, add a trace among the ones imported n the Trace directory.

- Double-click on the experiment wish to explore.

Be gentle with the whole thing Razz

You can find a lot of documentation about LTTng itself at http://lttng.org.

Regards,
/fc

Re: early LTTng usage [message #490721 is a reply to message #489021] Fri, 09 October 2009 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(This is a copy of the original reply)

Hi,

The LTTng integration is not yet ready for prime time Smile

- Download and install the latest LTTng trace library (it's a parser written in C) from the Polytechnique git repository. See Bug290060 for installation details.

- Create an LTTng project. 2 directories will be created: Traces and Experiment.

- From the Traces context menu, import one or more traces. If you don't have LTTng traces handy, sample can be found in the org.eclipse.linuxtools.lttng.tests under the traceset/ directory. DON'T USE trace_211064ev_nolost. It is bad.

- From the new experiment's context menu, add a trace among the ones imported n the Trace directory.

Be gentle with the whole thing Razz

You can find a lot of documentation about LTTng itself at http://lttng.org.

Regards,
/fc
Re: early LTTng usage [message #490925 is a reply to message #490721] Mon, 12 October 2009 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the information!
Do you like to receive my results/findings?
If yes, to this forum or elsewhere?
anyway I post my first results right away
my current tests end at the point after importing a trace into the LTTng project.
The subfolder "Traces" contains n empty children, where n is the number of trace files that are located in my trace folder that I created using LTTng cmd line.
This happens with my own traces as well as with those provided in the test folder.
The subsequent "Add Traces" to the created experiment does not show the wizard (I guess because the traces itself are not shown in the list)
Confused

regards
/hp
icon7.gif  Re: early LTTng usage [message #490940 is a reply to message #489021] Mon, 12 October 2009 13:56 Go to previous message
Hi,

This is the right place to post questions. I just didn't really follow it regularly before because I didn't think anybody would want to try this at this early stage Sad And, yes, I am very interested in your findings Smile

Anyhow, as this is very much a work in progress, we don't yet perform any type of validation on the trace. One peculiarity of an LTTng trace is that it is actually a composite of multiple channel traces grouped under a folder. The nasty, implicit, part is that you have to import the folder itself, not only its contents...

The attached image illustrates how it should look like when importing an LTTng trace.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
/fc

Humm.... I guess I can't attach a image that easily... Send me an e-mail at fchouinard@gmail.com and I will reply with the image.

BTW, all this should be part of the preliminary LTTng Help that should be uploaded tomorrow.

Regards,
/fc

[Updated on: Mon, 12 October 2009 14:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: early LTTng usage [message #567201 is a reply to message #489021] Fri, 09 October 2009 19:45 Go to previous message
Hi,

The LTTng integration is not yet ready for prime time :)

Be gentle with the whole thing :p

You can find a lot of documentation about LTTng itself at http://lttng.org

Regards,
/fc
Re: early LTTng usage [message #567215 is a reply to message #489021] Fri, 09 October 2009 19:55 Go to previous message
(This is a copy of the original reply)

Hi,

The LTTng integration is not yet ready for prime time :)

Be gentle with the whole thing :p

You can find a lot of documentation about LTTng itself at http://lttng.org

Regards,
/fc
Re: early LTTng usage [message #567236 is a reply to message #567215] Mon, 12 October 2009 12:25 Go to previous message
Thanks for the information!
Do you like to receive my results/findings?
If yes, to this forum or elsewhere?
anyway I post my first results right away
my current tests end at the point after importing a trace into the LTTng project.
The subfolder "Traces" contains n empty children, where n is the number of trace files that are located in my trace folder that I created using LTTng cmd line.
This happens with my own traces as well as with those provided in the test folder.
The subsequent "Add Traces" to the created experiment does not show the wizard (I guess because the traces itself are not shown in the list)
:?

regards
/hp
Re: early LTTng usage [message #567261 is a reply to message #489021] Mon, 12 October 2009 13:56 Go to previous message
Hi,

This is the right place to post questions. I just didn't really follow it regularly before because I didn't think anybody would want to try this at this early stage :( And, yes, I am very interested in your findings :)

Anyhow, as this is very much a work in progress, we don't yet perform any type of validation on the trace. One peculiarity of an LTTng trace is that it is actually a composite of multiple channel traces grouped under a folder. The nasty, implicit, part is that you have to import the folder itself, not only its contents...

The attached image illustrates how it should look like when importing an LTTng trace.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,
/fc
Previous Topic:early LTTng usage
Next Topic:ubuntu launching Eclipse
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:32:10 GMT 2024