Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Platform - User Assistance (UA) » Column Resize Is Too Large To Display(Column Width Control in Tab Views)
icon4.gif  Column Resize Is Too Large To Display [message #486714] Fri, 18 September 2009 17:01 Go to next message
Chuck Burgess is currently offline Chuck BurgessFriend
I have double-clicked on the border between two columns, in order to automatically size-to-fit the column on the left of said border. Unfortunately, this column is trying to display over a thousand CVS Tags all in one line of one row of the column.

The result is that the column now stretches beyond what the Tab view is capable of displaying, and I cannot scroll to the right end in order to find the end of the column... therefore I cannot resize the column to shrink it.

I further notice that as I do scroll to the right, once the scroll cursor reaches about halfway across its full scroll range, the text in the column no longer updates. It's as if the Tab view is incapable of containing, and there displaying, such a wide column of text.

Worse, when I tried to maximize this History view, to see if the scrolling mechanism would work better, the entire Tab view completely fails to repaint itself. I can see *nothing* of the Tab at all.

I simply want to restore this wayward column width to its default width. I can find no way to do it. Since I cannot scroll right to find it, I can't just drag the column border back towards the left to shrinkt it.

I can't find any setting in Preferences to deal with this. There is no rightclick/context menu available on the Tab view or the column header to allow me to do this. I can't find any text-file config settings in Eclipse's files to adjust it either.

Closing the History tab view doesn't reset the column width... it's still there the next time that tab opens. Closing the project doesn't clear it. Closing Eclipse doesn't clear it.

Is there no way to solve this?
Re: Column Resize Is Too Large To Display [message #487069 is a reply to message #486714] Mon, 21 September 2009 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Goldthorpe is currently offline Chris GoldthorpeFriend
Cross posting to org.eclipse.platform since this is referring to the
History view.

Chuck Burgess wrote:
> I have double-clicked on the border between two columns, in order to
> automatically size-to-fit the column on the left of said border.
> Unfortunately, this column is trying to display over a thousand CVS Tags
> all in one line of one row of the column.
>
> The result is that the column now stretches beyond what the Tab view is
> capable of displaying, and I cannot scroll to the right end in order to
> find the end of the column... therefore I cannot resize the column to
> shrink it.
>
> I further notice that as I do scroll to the right, once the scroll
> cursor reaches about halfway across its full scroll range, the text in
> the column no longer updates. It's as if the Tab view is incapable of
> containing, and there displaying, such a wide column of text.
>
> Worse, when I tried to maximize this History view, to see if the
> scrolling mechanism would work better, the entire Tab view completely
> fails to repaint itself. I can see *nothing* of the Tab at all.
>
> I simply want to restore this wayward column width to its default
> width. I can find no way to do it. Since I cannot scroll right to find
> it, I can't just drag the column border back towards the left to shrinkt
> it.
> I can't find any setting in Preferences to deal with this. There is no
> rightclick/context menu available on the Tab view or the column header
> to allow me to do this. I can't find any text-file config settings in
> Eclipse's files to adjust it either.
>
> Closing the History tab view doesn't reset the column width... it's
> still there the next time that tab opens. Closing the project doesn't
> clear it. Closing Eclipse doesn't clear it.
>
> Is there no way to solve this?
Re: Column Resize Is Too Large To Display [message #494254 is a reply to message #486714] Thu, 29 October 2009 18:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I had this same problem. I think that I have found a remedy that doesn't require a new workspace.

The settings for views appear to be workspace specific, not eclipse installation specific. That is why you were not able to find the settings in the eclipse config files.

starting from your workspaces folder, where "ProjectName" is the workspace you are having problems with.

\Workspaces\ProjectName\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.team. cvs.ui\

open dialog_settings.xml

seaerch for
"org.eclipse.team.internal.ccvs.ui.CVSHistoryTableProvider"

there is a tag in this section called "COL_TAGS." That is the size of the tags column in the history view.
Re: Column Resize Is Too Large To Display [message #990893 is a reply to message #494254] Fri, 14 December 2012 17:01 Go to previous message
Mark Ahnell is currently offline Mark AhnellFriend
The fix submitted above on October 2009 works. Only other thing you will need to do is close Eclipse before you make the change and then reopen Eclipse. Thanks for your help "No real name".
Previous Topic:Enabling commands for particular file types only
Next Topic:Remote Help and spaces in the path
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:00:10 GMT 2024