Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » JDT auto completion error
JDT auto completion error [message #485812] Tue, 15 September 2009 07:42 Go to next message
Gaurav Arora is currently offline Gaurav AroraFriend
I get the following when I press Ctrl+Space now:

"The 'org.eclipse.jdt.ui.JavaAllCompletionProposalComputer' proposal
computer from the 'org.eclipse.jdt.ui' plug-in did not complete normally.
The extension took too long to return from the
'computeCompletionProposals()' operation."

Eclipse was working fine till yesterday, not sure what happened today. Can
anyone help please?

Thanks,
Gaurav
Re: JDT auto completion error [message #486289 is a reply to message #485812] Thu, 17 September 2009 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dani Megert is currently offline Dani MegertFriend
Gaurav Arora wrote:
> I get the following when I press Ctrl+Space now:
>
> "The 'org.eclipse.jdt.ui.JavaAllCompletionProposalComputer' proposal
> computer from the 'org.eclipse.jdt.ui' plug-in did not complete
> normally. The extension took too long to return from the
> 'computeCompletionProposals()' operation."
>
> Eclipse was working fine till yesterday, not sure what happened today.
> Can anyone help please?
Does it now always happen? If so, did you follow the advice in the dialog?

Dani
>
> Thanks,
> Gaurav
>
Re: JDT auto completion error [message #534523 is a reply to message #485812] Wed, 19 May 2010 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abhishek  is currently offline Abhishek Friend
Hi,

I searched but did not get any answers for the below problem.

I get the following when I press Ctrl+Space now in eclipse.

"The 'org.eclipse.jdt.ui.JavaAllCompletionProposalComputer' proposal computer from the 'org.eclipse.jdt.ui' plug-in did not complete normally. The extension took too long to return from the 'computeCompletionProposals()' operation."

Please help me.

Regards,
-Abhishek
Re: JDT auto completion error [message #534706 is a reply to message #534523] Thu, 20 May 2010 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satyam Kandula is currently offline Satyam KandulaFriend
Look at the <workspace>\.metadata\.log for any related messages. Also try to restart eclipse with eclipse -clean and see if you still get those problems.
Re: JDT auto completion error [message #534711 is a reply to message #534706] Thu, 20 May 2010 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Prakash G.R. is currently offline Prakash G.R.Friend
On 20/05/10 10:23 AM, Satyam Kandula wrote:
> Look at the <workspace>\.metadata\.log for any related messages. Also
> try to restart eclipse with eclipse -clean and see if you still get
> those problems.

Also try restoring the prefereces at Java -> Editor -> Content Assist ->
Advanced.

- Prakash
Platform UI Team, IBM

www.eclipse-tips.com
Re: JDT auto completion error [message #543880 is a reply to message #534711] Wed, 30 June 2010 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim is currently offline JimFriend
This problem has plagued me for much longer than I would like to admit. Thank you Prakash for the advice on going to the log file to check out the errors.

I get a "Zip Exception: error in opening zip file" exception. My project has a very large collection of libraries, and I usually go to the directory which contains my libraries, and select them all, and add them to a projects library build path. In this process, I accidentally selected several .tar and .tar.gz files which happened to be in the same directory. Needless to say these .tar and .tar.gz files were causing the exception, and causing the super slow content assist. I deleted them, and removed them from my projects libraries build path, and low and behold, I again have a usable eclipse.

Re: JDT auto completion error [message #552131 is a reply to message #543880] Wed, 11 August 2010 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jared is currently offline JaredFriend
I had the same issue except that my libraries didn't include any zip files, but I was getting ZipExceptions when looking at the logs. Seems it was some of the Spring JAR files I had included in my project. I had copied them to a directory withing the project, then added them.

I solved my problem by moving the Spring JAR files to a directory external to the project & adding them to the project as external JARs.

As a side comment: kind of new to Java (& especially Spring) so not sure exactly what will happen if I tried to compile/deploy the project (will it pull the external jars into the compiled project, or try to find them externally??). At least I can work more effectively for the time being & cross that bridge when I come to it (moving them to be internal when I want to compile if I have to).
icon14.gif  Re: JDT auto completion error [message #1128186 is a reply to message #485812] Mon, 07 October 2013 12:34 Go to previous message
Harshal Soni is currently offline Harshal SoniFriend
Hi,

This Problem is seriously irritating and I wasted so much time for
solving it.Thank you all.

- Harshal
Previous Topic:Java int[] Array [I@24a1a602]
Next Topic:Code is formatted even though Save Action is not enabled
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:55:07 GMT 2024