Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » "Unsatisfied version constraint" after adding bundle
"Unsatisfied version constraint" after adding bundle [message #481628] Fri, 21 August 2009 23:47 Go to next message
Eric Jain is currently offline Eric JainFriend
After adding a bundle to the Require-Bundle section, all hell breaks loose
and none of the bundles that were being imported just fine are imported
anymore: In the manifest editor, every single Require-Bundle item has an
error marker that states "unsatisfied version constraint". Same thing if I
add an Import-Package from that bundle. Perhaps there is a problem with
the bundle, but how can I get PDE to give me a more useful error message?
Re: "Unsatisfied version constraint" after adding bundle [message #484969 is a reply to message #481628] Thu, 10 September 2009 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Huddleston is currently offline Richard HuddlestonFriend
I believe I'm also suffering from this problem ... no idea what the problem is. Works with 1 dependency, when I add another, all dependencies fail.
Re: "Unsatisfied version constraint" after adding bundle [message #485134 is a reply to message #484969] Thu, 10 September 2009 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Fearn is currently offline Richard FearnFriend
I've had this problem; my situation might not be exactly the same as yours, but this might give you some clues as to where to look...

We currently have a large 'libs' plugin that has many third-party JARs, and just exports every package from every JAR. Our other plugins have up to now depended on 'libs'.

We're now removing JARs from 'libs' and gradually replacing 'libs' with 'real' OSGi bundles.

I removed the Spring JAR from our 'libs' project, and added the corresponding OSGi bundles to the projects that used to get that JAR from the 'libs' project.

Spring depends on Commons Logging, and that was still an 'ordinary' JAR in 'libs' (i.e. not an OSGi bundle with a specific version number). I had to replace the Commons Logging JAR with a bundle to get rid of the errors.

So the errors are misleading for two reasons:

1. You get "Unsatisfied version constraint" errors for every dependency, although it's just one that has a problem.

2. It can actually find the bundle, it's just that it can't satisfy the dependencies for that bundle (e.g. in my case it could find org.springframework.beans, but couldn't work out if the right version of Commons Logging was available to allow org.springframework.beans to be used).

Rich
Re: "Unsatisfied version constraint" after adding bundle [message #506698 is a reply to message #481628] Fri, 08 January 2010 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jasper Siepkes is currently offline Jasper SiepkesFriend
I seem to have run into the same problem.

Restarting and cleaning all projects a couple of times seems to get rid of it. However every time I reload my target platform the issue comes back. The problem is real difficult to narrow down because there is nothing in the logs and the PDE basically only says "Computer says no".

Also when I save a manifest its followed by a cpu spike which lasts for about 10 seconds during which eclipse becomes unusable.

This behaviour is the same on two different PC's / Eclipse installation.

Does anyone have a solution besides adding one bundle at a time to check if it causes trouble ?

[Updated on: Fri, 08 January 2010 20:37]

Report message to a moderator

Re: "Unsatisfied version constraint" after adding bundle [message #506781 is a reply to message #481628] Sat, 09 January 2010 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For anyone who bumps into the same issue, it was caused by this 'bug': https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=298318

So basically you need to check all your bundles exporting packages in the javax namespace.
Re: "Unsatisfied version constraint" after adding bundle [message #601408 is a reply to message #481628] Thu, 10 September 2009 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Huddleston is currently offline Richard HuddlestonFriend
I believe I'm also suffering from this problem ... no idea what the problem is. Works with 1 dependency, when I add another, all dependencies fail.
Re: "Unsatisfied version constraint" after adding bundle [message #601470 is a reply to message #601408] Thu, 10 September 2009 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard Fearn is currently offline Richard FearnFriend
I've had this problem; my situation might not be exactly the same as yours, but this might give you some clues as to where to look...

We currently have a large 'libs' plugin that has many third-party JARs, and just exports every package from every JAR. Our other plugins have up to now depended on 'libs'.

We're now removing JARs from 'libs' and gradually replacing 'libs' with 'real' OSGi bundles.

I removed the Spring JAR from our 'libs' project, and added the corresponding OSGi bundles to the projects that used to get that JAR from the 'libs' project.

Spring depends on Commons Logging, and that was still an 'ordinary' JAR in 'libs' (i.e. not an OSGi bundle with a specific version number). I had to replace the Commons Logging JAR with a bundle to get rid of the errors.

So the errors are misleading for two reasons:

1. You get "Unsatisfied version constraint" errors for every dependency, although it's just one that has a problem.

2. It can actually find the bundle, it's just that it can't satisfy the dependencies for that bundle (e.g. in my case it could find org.springframework.beans, but couldn't work out if the right version of Commons Logging was available to allow org.springframework.beans to be used).

Rich
Re: "Unsatisfied version constraint" after adding bundle [message #604038 is a reply to message #481628] Fri, 08 January 2010 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I seem to have run into the same problem.

Restarting and cleaning all projects a couple of times seems to get rid of it. However every time I reload my target platform the issue comes back. The problem is real difficult to narrow down because there is nothing in the logs and the PDE basically only says "Computer says no".

Does anyone have a solution besides adding one bundle at a time to check if it causes trouble ?
Re: "Unsatisfied version constraint" after adding bundle [message #604050 is a reply to message #481628] Sat, 09 January 2010 17:59 Go to previous message
For anyone who bumps into the same issue, it was caused by this 'bug': https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=298318

So basically you need to check all your bundles exporting packages in the javax namespace.
Previous Topic:customizeDocumentCommand in IAutoEditStrategy only called on backspace
Next Topic:class loader is unable to load swt at runtime
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:32:37 GMT 2024