Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Memory Analyzer (MAT) » DTFJ adapter doesn't show attributes and values
DTFJ adapter doesn't show attributes and values [message #479167] Mon, 10 August 2009 04:57 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: hanan.kenan.gmail.com

hi
using the latest MAT, DTFJ _ DFFJ Adaptor i get a strange experience:

in Inspector Window in Attribute tab (and also Statics) no attribute are
shown and no value is shown.
also when focus on String objects (all init as "\u0000.....")
is this with intention or a bug ?
however on SUN hprof all data is avail

Thanks
hanan
Re: DTFJ adapter doesn't show attributes and values [message #479580 is a reply to message #479167] Tue, 11 August 2009 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Johnson is currently offline Andrew JohnsonFriend
Portable Heap Dump files (which normally have extension .phd) do not have primitive field or primitive array contents, so Memory Analyzer cannot display this data.

A system dump, processed with JExtract, has the full information, plus true heap roots and thread stack information.

http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/MemoryAnalyzer#System_Dump s_and_Heap_Dumps_from_IBM_Virtual_Machines

Try using a system dump, processed first with jextract.

Andrew Johnson
Re: DTFJ adapter doesn't show attributes an d values [message #479836 is a reply to message #479580] Wed, 12 August 2009 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Randall Theobald is currently offline Randall TheobaldFriend
How can I view thread stack information from the system dump?

Andrew Johnson wrote:

> Portable Heap Dump files (which normally have extension .phd) do not have
primitive field or primitive array contents, so Memory Analyzer cannot display
this data.

> A system dump, processed with JExtract, has the full information, plus true
heap roots and thread stack information.

>
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/MemoryAnalyzer#System_Dump s_and_Heap_Dumps_from_IBM_Virtual_Machines

> Try using a system dump, processed first with jextract.

> Andrew Johnson
Re: DTFJ adapter doesn't show attributes an d values [message #480160 is a reply to message #479836] Fri, 14 August 2009 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thread stack information can be obtained from
'Open Query Browser'
'Java Basics'
'Thread Stacks'

or from 'Thread Details' if a set of threads is selected (e.g. from 'GC Roots' 'Thread').
Re: DTFJ adapter doesn't show attributes an d values [message #495141 is a reply to message #480160] Tue, 03 November 2009 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan Tillin is currently offline Dan TillinFriend
Hi, could you expand on which files can be processed by jextract and therefore be useful in MAT with DTFJ?

we are running WAS 5.1.1 on AIX with Java 1.4.2.

We are getting out of mem errors and we have the jvm configured to create javacore files.

I tried using jextract on one to generate a useful extracted file, but got the following:

uk01pd01ap $ /usr/java14/bin/jextract javacore99148.1256031437.txt
JVMRAS001: the input file is incompatible with jextract - The input file is not a valid AIX Core file

I feel like I'm going round in circles trying to work out what I need to do to get a file that will show me the detail as explained in the MAT documentation.

Any pointers greatfully received!

Regards

Dan
Re: DTFJ adapter doesn't show attributes an d values [message #495434 is a reply to message #495141] Wed, 04 November 2009 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
System core dump files (generated by 1.4.2 with the SYSDUMP option), processed by jextract, have full attribute information.

System core dump files are different from javacore files. Javacore files are human readable and just have some information about threads, monitors, loaded classes etc. They aren't very useful for MAT, though in combination with Portable Heap Dump files they can help MAT assign classes to the correct class loader.

See http:// wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/MemoryAnalyzer#System_Dumps_and_H eap_Dumps_from_IBM_Virtual_Machines

IBM Java 1.4.2 dump options

A quick reference for IBM Java 1.4.2 dump options

* export JAVA_DUMP_OPTS=ONOUTOFMEMORY(SYSDUMP,HEAPDUMP,JAVADUMP)
* set JAVA_DUMP_OPTS=ONOUTOFMEMORY(SYSDUMP,HEAPDUMP,JAVADUMP)

On non-z/OS systems process any system dump files with JExtract to give a .sdff file. On z/OS systems copy the SVC dump file in binary mode to your Eclipse Memory Analyzer system, giving it a .dmp file extension.
Re: DTFJ adapter doesn't show attributes and values [message #500259 is a reply to message #479580] Wed, 25 November 2009 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastien Tardif is currently offline Sebastien TardifFriend
Using DTFJ reading an IBM Java 5 Heap dump I'm also unable to see stack information. I guess it's also by design.

Well, we should always think twice before using less popular JVM...
Re: DTFJ adapter doesn't show attributes and values [message #500684 is a reply to message #500259] Fri, 27 November 2009 14:06 Go to previous message
IBM Java 5 Portable Heap Dump (PHD) files are similar to 1.4.2 dumps and do not have field name, primitive field values and primitive array contents.

To get full stack, field and array information, generate a system dump and process it with jextract, then feed the core.???.zip file into MAT.

-Xdump:system:events=systhrow+user,filter=java/lang/OutOfMem oryError,request=exclusive+prepwalk+compact
Previous Topic:New resolvers URL, Point, Rectangle
Next Topic:References hold by Finalizer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:00:49 GMT 2024