Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus
Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #470453] Mon, 03 August 2009 17:19 Go to next message
Sean Muir is currently offline Sean MuirFriend
I have download and running the latest papyrus and we need to be able to
create a papyrus model project from an existing uml (xmi 2.1) model. I am
able to create a papyrus project and replace the uml file with a existing
if the names align. Is this the preferred method or approach?

Thanks

Sean
Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #470458 is a reply to message #470453] Wed, 05 August 2009 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sébastien Gérard is currently offline Sébastien GérardFriend
Hi,

there is another mean to do that: select the uml file, right click on it and
create with this context a new Papyrus model. The current model will be the
base for your new project.

Regards,
S
Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #557105 is a reply to message #470458] Sat, 04 September 2010 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yannick Duchene (Hibou57) is currently offline Yannick Duchene (Hibou57)Friend
Sebastien Gerard wrote on Wed, 05 August 2009 03:01
Hi,

Regards,
S

I have just tried this as I had the same question as the OP. This technique does not work well. It creates no view at all.

You may add a view manually, but then, it is empty, and it is not that easy : you have to peek element from the model explorer, then move it to the view. However, this oftenly goes wrong, and sometime, some stuff cannot be added in the view this way, like comment links and some others;

I guess this would not be easy to create something which would create a layout automatically. But this could be easier and still nice to have something which would do the bare minimum, that, add all element from the model to a view. The user will then have to adjust element position and the like.
Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #557140 is a reply to message #557105] Sun, 05 September 2010 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In this page, http://wiki.eclipse.org/Papyrus_User_Guide#Model_Explorer_Vi ew there is a reference to an *.uml file context menu entry named "Initialize Papyrus Diagram", but I do not get such a menu entry.

How do I configure Papyrus so that it could provide this contextual menu entry ?
Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #590845 is a reply to message #470453] Wed, 05 August 2009 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sébastien Gérard is currently offline Sébastien GérardFriend
Hi,

Regards,
S
Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #606947 is a reply to message #470458] Sat, 04 September 2010 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sebastien Gerard wrote on Wed, 05 August 2009 03:01
> Hi,
>
> there is another mean to do that: select the uml file, right click on it and
> create with this context a new Papyrus model. The current model will be the
> base for your new project.
>
> Regards,
> S

I have just tried this as I had the same question as the OP. This technique does not work well. It creates no view at all.

You may add a view manually, but then, it is empty, and it is not that easy : you have to peek element from the model explorer, then move it to the view. However, this oftenly goes wrong, and sometime, some stuff cannot be added in the view this way, like comment links and some others;

I guess this would not be easy to create something which would create a layout automatically. But this could be easier and still nice to have something which would do the bare minimum, that, add all element from the model to a view. The user will then have to adjust element position and the like.
Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #607420 is a reply to message #606947] Sun, 05 September 2010 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In this page, http://wiki.eclipse.org/Papyrus_User_Guide#Model_Explorer_Vi ew there is a reference to an *.uml file context menu entry named "Initialize Papyrus Diagram", but I do not get such a menu entry.

How do I configure Papyrus so that it could provide this contextual menu entry ?
Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #991557 is a reply to message #607420] Wed, 19 December 2012 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Federico Toledo is currently offline Federico ToledoFriend
Hi,

has someone solved that? I dont see the menu entry nither

Also, it is working for me if I try to create a class diagram, but now I am trying to load an interaction diagram (sequence diagram) and Papyrus doesnt let me drag and drop the items from the model explorer to the diagram editor pane ... Is it supposed to be working, or is it an unimplemented feature?

thank you in advance!
Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #992314 is a reply to message #991557] Fri, 21 December 2012 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hello,

I think the Drag & Drop for the Sequence Diagram has been fixed recently. It is not available in Papyrus Juno SR1 (0.9.1), but it will be available for SR2 (02/2012). It is also available on our nightly builds.

To create a new Papyrus Model from a UML Model, select the UML File, then go to "File -> New -> Papyrus model".

Regards,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #994666 is a reply to message #992314] Fri, 28 December 2012 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dan George is currently offline Dan GeorgeFriend
I hate to ask this clearly basic question: how does one "select the UML file"? Is there a file system viewer I should be using to select the UML file?

Thanks,
Dan
Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #994766 is a reply to message #994666] Fri, 28 December 2012 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Federico Toledo is currently offline Federico ToledoFriend
inside your project you should see all the files that you have, even if you have an uml file, agree?
I think that this is the same in most of the perspectives. See the attached file, I am using the java perspective, with the package view
hope it helps
icon13.gif  Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #1006510 is a reply to message #992314] Thu, 31 January 2013 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Furkan Eke is currently offline Furkan EkeFriend
"Select UML Model/New Papyrus Model/ -> empty model diagram" is the less awful thing of the rest.

If you try to delete the generated "model.di" file from the project explorer,
in order to start over with a second try, you hopelessly see that your original uml file will be deleted irreversably together with the papyrus model.

You loose your original model ending up with less than you have started with!

If you have no copy of the model anywhere else it is already over with that model.

Congragulations, you have nothing left to loose.

Re: Best Way to Import Existing UML model into Papyrus [message #1006545 is a reply to message #1006510] Thu, 31 January 2013 15:48 Go to previous message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

That seems to justify raising
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=396881 to critical.

Regards

Ed Willink

On 31/01/2013 15:36, Furkan Eke wrote:
> "Select UML Model/New Papyrus Model/ -> empty model diagram" is the
> less awful thing of the rest.
>
> If you try to delete the generated "model.di" file from the project
> explorer,
> in order to start over with a second try, you hopelessly see that your
> original uml file will be deleted irreversably together with the
> papyrus model.
>
> You loose your original model ending up with less than you have
> started with!
>
> If you have no copy of the model anywhere else it is already over with
> that model.
>
> Congragulations, you have nothing left to loose.
>
Previous Topic:Message Arguments
Next Topic:State diagram
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 15:36:30 GMT 2024