Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » DTP » Ping Failed on the Data Source Properties page
Ping Failed on the Data Source Properties page [message #45780] Thu, 19 June 2008 22:38 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: vs.sreeharsha.gmail.com

Hello,

I am developing a custom non-JDBC ODA Driver for report module in the
RCP application. I created both the runtime and designer plugins and
have overridden all the methods in the runtime plugin.

The problem that I am stuck up with right now is when I select my custom
data source from the UI and say "Next". The Data Source Properties page
is displayed with a "Ping" button. When I press the "Ping" button, for
some reason, I get the following exception along with "Ping Failed" notice:

> org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaHe lperException: Unable to create the ODA driver's connection factory. (net.bplg.powersg.oda.Driver) ;
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver.loadDriverInstance(OdaDriver.java:226)
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver.init(OdaDriver.java:176)
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver. <init>(OdaDriver.java:75)
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.profile.OdaConnection Wrapper.getOdaDriverHelper(OdaConnectionWrapper.java:236)
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.profile.OdaConnection Wrapper.getOdaConnectionHelper(OdaConnectionWrapper.java:225 )
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.profile.OdaConnection Wrapper. <init>(OdaConnectionWrapper.java:57)
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.profile.OdaConnection Factory.createConnection(OdaConnectionFactory.java:26)
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactor yProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryProvider.java:85 )
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionFactor yProvider.createConnection(ConnectionFactoryProvider.java:69 )
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.internal.ConnectionProfil e.createConnection(ConnectionProfile.java:304)
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.ui.PingJob.run(PingJob.ja va:57)
> > at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:58)
> > Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
> > at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver.loadDriverInstance(OdaDriver.java:204)
> > ... 11 more

Is there anyone who know why I am getting this exception instead of
"Ping Succeeded" message? My data source doesn't have any properties and
hence the connection.open(properties) directly return true without doing
anything. Can anybody throw some light on the issue?

Thanks
-Sree
Re: Ping Failed on the Data Source Properties page [message #45810 is a reply to message #45780] Sat, 21 June 2008 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Linda ChanFriend
This looks like the ping factory is not able to find your custom oda runtime
plugin. Check your workspace/.metadata/.log file to see if there are any
error messages. Perhaps there was a problem with loading your plugin, like
missing dependencies, etc.
Also check your "org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.connectionProfile"
extension, to double check that the correct oda data source id is specified
in all the related attributes.

Linda
Re: Ping Failed on the Data Source Properties page [message #45925 is a reply to message #45810] Mon, 30 June 2008 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend

I checked the things you mentioned Linda.

..metadata/.log file doesn't have any error saying missing plugins or
missing dependencies. I checked the
"org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.connectionProfile" extension but I
see that all the references to oda data source id have the value of
"%oda.data.source.id" whose value is set in the "plugin.properties" file
to the package name of the ODA runtime driver. But still I continue to
get the "Ping Failed" message when clicked on the "Test Connection" button.

I further notice that if I go on to continue creating the Data Source
and the data set after the ping failed, my application throws the
following NullPointerException when I try to do the "preview results"
from the "Edit DataSet" dialog after entering the query:

> Jun 30, 2008 11:01:40 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.Driver setLogConfiguration
> INFO: ODA driver does not have valid trace logging defined in the plug-in .options or plugin.xml file.
> Jun 30, 2008 11:01:40 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.Driver getDriverHelper
> SEVERE: Cannot get ODA data source driver helper.
> org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaHe lperException: Unable to create the ODA driver's connection factory. (net.bplg.powersg.oda.Driver) ;
> at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver.loadDriverInstance(OdaDriver.java:226)
> at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver.init(OdaDriver.java:176)
> at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver. <init>(OdaDriver.java:92)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.Driver.getDriverHel per(Driver.java:107)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.DriverManager.getDr iverHelper(DriverManager.java:86)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.ConnectionManager.o penConnection(ConnectionManager.java:129)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.DataSource.newConnecti on(DataSource.java:133)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.DataSource.open(DataSo urce.java:121)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.DataSourceRuntime.openOdiD ataSource(DataSourceRuntime.java:206)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryExecutor.openDataSour ce(QueryExecutor.java:259)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryExecutor.prepareExecu tion(QueryExecutor.java:202)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedQuery.doPrepare(Pr eparedQuery.java:396)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedDataSourceQuery.ex ecute(PreparedDataSourceQuery.java:145)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedOdaDSQuery.execute (PreparedOdaDSQuery.java:134)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedDataSourceQuery.ex ecute(PreparedDataSourceQuery.java:125)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.adapter.impl.QueryExecutionHelp er.executeQuery(QueryExecutionHelper.java:107)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.adapter.impl.DataRequestSession Impl.executeQuery(DataRequestSessionImpl.java:226)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.util.DataSetProvide r.executeQuery(DataSetProvider.java:475)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.util.DataSetProvide r.execute(DataSetProvider.java:303)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.util.DataSetProvide r.execute(DataSetProvider.java:270)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.dataset.ResultSetPr eviewPage.executeProcess(ResultSetPreviewPage.java:302)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.dataset.ResultSetPr eviewPage.runUpdateResults(ResultSetPreviewPage.java:265)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.dataset.ResultSetPr eviewPage.access$100(ResultSetPreviewPage.java:88)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.dataset.ResultSetPr eviewPage$4.runInUIThread(ResultSetPreviewPage.java:229)
> at org.eclipse.ui.progress.UIJob$1.run(UIJob.java:94)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:3 5)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchr onizer.java:123)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.jav a:3325)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java :2971)
> at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:820 )
> at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:796)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.internal.ui.dialogs.BaseDia log.open(BaseDialog.java:95)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.actions.NewDataSetAction .editDataSet(NewDataSetAction.java:192)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.actions.NewDataSetAction .run(NewDataSetAction.java:128)
> at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:499 )
> at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidget Selection(ActionContributionItem.java:539)
> at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(Act ionContributionItem.java:488)
> at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEven t(ActionContributionItem.java:400)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java :66)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:928)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.ja va:3348)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java :2968)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.jav a:1914)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1878)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Work bench.java:419)
> at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.j ava:149)
> at net.bplg.powersg.client.Application.run(Application.java:38)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(Pl atformActivator.java:78)
> at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
> at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
> at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:400)
> at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:177)
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAcce ssorImpl.java:39)
> at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMe thodAccessorImpl.java:25)
> at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
> at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336 )
> at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
> at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
> at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)
> Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
> at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver.loadDriverInstance(OdaDriver.java:204)
> ... 59 more
> Jun 30, 2008 11:01:40 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.DataEngineImpl shutdown
> INFO: Data engine shuts down

As soon as I say "finish" after entering the query, I am able to see all
the columns of my dataset in the "Edit dataset" dialog. But when I
select "Preview results" from the same dialog, I get a BIRT exception
error dialog saying "Unable to find ODA Driver..." and throws the above
exception on the console.

I am unable to figure out why the application is unable to find my
runtime oda driver even after I reference it to the correct path in
plugin.xml. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you
-Sree

Linda Chan wrote:
> This looks like the ping factory is not able to find your custom oda runtime
> plugin. Check your workspace/.metadata/.log file to see if there are any
> error messages. Perhaps there was a problem with loading your plugin, like
> missing dependencies, etc.
> Also check your "org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.connectionProfile"
> extension, to double check that the correct oda data source id is specified
> in all the related attributes.
>
> Linda
>
>
Re: Ping Failed on the Data Source Properties page [message #46288 is a reply to message #45925] Fri, 04 July 2008 00:11 Go to previous message
Linda ChanFriend
It would be impossible to tell without your actual plugin. It still looks
like the runtime plugin configuration may be missing something, as an
unexpected NPE is encountered when trying to load and instantiate your oda
driver class. The next thing would be to use the debugger and step thru
the org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper code
(OdaDriver.loadDriverInstance method), to see what triggers the NPE.
Re: Ping Failed on the Data Source Properties page [message #591580 is a reply to message #45780] Sat, 21 June 2008 02:20 Go to previous message
Linda ChanFriend
This looks like the ping factory is not able to find your custom oda runtime
plugin. Check your workspace/.metadata/.log file to see if there are any
error messages. Perhaps there was a problem with loading your plugin, like
missing dependencies, etc.
Also check your "org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.connectionProfile"
extension, to double check that the correct oda data source id is specified
in all the related attributes.

Linda
Re: Ping Failed on the Data Source Properties page [message #591618 is a reply to message #45810] Mon, 30 June 2008 15:07 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend

I checked the things you mentioned Linda.

..metadata/.log file doesn't have any error saying missing plugins or
missing dependencies. I checked the
"org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.connectionProfile" extension but I
see that all the references to oda data source id have the value of
"%oda.data.source.id" whose value is set in the "plugin.properties" file
to the package name of the ODA runtime driver. But still I continue to
get the "Ping Failed" message when clicked on the "Test Connection" button.

I further notice that if I go on to continue creating the Data Source
and the data set after the ping failed, my application throws the
following NullPointerException when I try to do the "preview results"
from the "Edit DataSet" dialog after entering the query:

> Jun 30, 2008 11:01:40 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.Driver setLogConfiguration
> INFO: ODA driver does not have valid trace logging defined in the plug-in .options or plugin.xml file.
> Jun 30, 2008 11:01:40 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.Driver getDriverHelper
> SEVERE: Cannot get ODA data source driver helper.
> at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver.loadDriverInstance(OdaDriver.java:226)
> at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver.init(OdaDriver.java:176)
> at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver. <init>(OdaDriver.java:92)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.Driver.getDriverHel per(Driver.java:107)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.DriverManager.getDr iverHelper(DriverManager.java:86)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.odaconsumer.ConnectionManager.o penConnection(ConnectionManager.java:129)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.DataSource.newConnecti on(DataSource.java:133)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.DataSource.open(DataSo urce.java:121)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.DataSourceRuntime.openOdiD ataSource(DataSourceRuntime.java:206)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryExecutor.openDataSour ce(QueryExecutor.java:259)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryExecutor.prepareExecu tion(QueryExecutor.java:202)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedQuery.doPrepare(Pr eparedQuery.java:396)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedDataSourceQuery.ex ecute(PreparedDataSourceQuery.java:145)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedOdaDSQuery.execute (PreparedOdaDSQuery.java:134)
> at org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.PreparedDataSourceQuery.ex ecute(PreparedDataSourceQuery.java:125)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.adapter.impl.QueryExecutionHelp er.executeQuery(QueryExecutionHelper.java:107)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.data.adapter.impl.DataRequestSession Impl.executeQuery(DataRequestSessionImpl.java:226)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.util.DataSetProvide r.executeQuery(DataSetProvider.java:475)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.util.DataSetProvide r.execute(DataSetProvider.java:303)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.util.DataSetProvide r.execute(DataSetProvider.java:270)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.dataset.ResultSetPr eviewPage.executeProcess(ResultSetPreviewPage.java:302)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.dataset.ResultSetPr eviewPage.runUpdateResults(ResultSetPreviewPage.java:265)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.dataset.ResultSetPr eviewPage.access$100(ResultSetPreviewPage.java:88)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.data.ui.dataset.ResultSetPr eviewPage$4.runInUIThread(ResultSetPreviewPage.java:229)
> at org.eclipse.ui.progress.UIJob$1.run(UIJob.java:94)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:3 5)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchr onizer.java:123)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.jav a:3325)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java :2971)
> at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:820 )
> at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:796)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.internal.ui.dialogs.BaseDia log.open(BaseDialog.java:95)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.actions.NewDataSetAction .editDataSet(NewDataSetAction.java:192)
> at org.eclipse.birt.report.designer.ui.actions.NewDataSetAction .run(NewDataSetAction.java:128)
> at org.eclipse.jface.action.Action.runWithEvent(Action.java:499 )
> at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidget Selection(ActionContributionItem.java:539)
> at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(Act ionContributionItem.java:488)
> at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEven t(ActionContributionItem.java:400)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java :66)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:928)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.ja va:3348)
> at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java :2968)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.jav a:1914)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1878)
> at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Work bench.java:419)
> at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.j ava:149)
> at net.bplg.powersg.client.Application.run(Application.java:38)
> at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(Pl atformActivator.java:78)
> at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
> at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher .start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
> at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:400)
> at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseS tarter.java:177)
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
> at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAcce ssorImpl.java:39)
> at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMe thodAccessorImpl.java:25)
> at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
> at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336 )
> at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
> at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
> at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)
> Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
> at org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper.OdaDr iver.loadDriverInstance(OdaDriver.java:204)
> ... 59 more
> Jun 30, 2008 11:01:40 AM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.DataEngineImpl shutdown
> INFO: Data engine shuts down

As soon as I say "finish" after entering the query, I am able to see all
the columns of my dataset in the "Edit dataset" dialog. But when I
select "Preview results" from the same dialog, I get a BIRT exception
error dialog saying "Unable to find ODA Driver..." and throws the above
exception on the console.

I am unable to figure out why the application is unable to find my
runtime oda driver even after I reference it to the correct path in
plugin.xml. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thank you
-Sree

Linda Chan wrote:
> This looks like the ping factory is not able to find your custom oda runtime
> plugin. Check your workspace/.metadata/.log file to see if there are any
> error messages. Perhaps there was a problem with loading your plugin, like
> missing dependencies, etc.
> Also check your "org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.connectionProfile"
> extension, to double check that the correct oda data source id is specified
> in all the related attributes.
>
> Linda
>
>
Re: Ping Failed on the Data Source Properties page [message #591719 is a reply to message #45925] Fri, 04 July 2008 00:11 Go to previous message
Linda ChanFriend
It would be impossible to tell without your actual plugin. It still looks
like the runtime plugin configuration may be missing something, as an
unexpected NPE is encountered when trying to load and instantiate your oda
driver class. The next thing would be to use the debugger and step thru
the org.eclipse.datatools.connectivity.oda.consumer.helper code
(OdaDriver.loadDriverInstance method), to see what triggers the NPE.
Previous Topic:[Ecore ODA Driver] Reporting against the ECORE as opposed to instance of ecore
Next Topic:cant create new driver definition for derby.jar
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:03:27 GMT 2024