Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Keyboard doesn't work in Eclipse 3.5(Problem with keyboard input in Eclipse 3.5)
Keyboard doesn't work in Eclipse 3.5 [message #435538] Thu, 30 July 2009 21:08 Go to next message
Michael D is currently offline Michael DFriend
For some reason, Eclipse is not accepting keyboard input anywhere - not in the editor, not in the Preference menu, not in any of the dialogs. I can copy/paste and the function keys do what they're supposed to do, but otherwise it doesn't accept keyboard input. Keyboard works fine in other apps.

ADDENDUM: This was after installing the Blackberry JDE... currently pursuing that route.

thanks,

michael

[Updated on: Thu, 30 July 2009 21:34]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Eclipse 3.5 [message #437897 is a reply to message #435538] Fri, 31 July 2009 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Walter Harley is currently offline Walter HarleyFriend
"Michael D" <mmdurrant@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:h4t251$2gh$1@build.eclipse.org...
> For some reason, Eclipse is not accepting keyboard input anywhere - not in
> the editor, not in the Preference menu, not in any of the dialogs. I can
> copy/paste and the function keys do what they're supposed to do, but
> otherwise it doesn't accept keyboard input. Keyboard works fine in other
> apps.

Since obviously Eclipse 3.5 is working for many users, this seems like it is
probably due to something in your configuration, or to a corrupted file,
etc. So: perhaps you could provide some details about what your
configuration is, what you've tried so far, whether there are any errors
indicated in the error log, whether it worked for you in the past and if so
what might have changed since then, and so forth.
Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Eclipse 3.5 [message #440478 is a reply to message #437897] Fri, 31 July 2009 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael D is currently offline Michael DFriend
I did some googling on the Blackberry JDE and Eclipse and other people have had the same problem. Their solution was uninstall/reinstall, at which point the problem sometimes reoccurred - that's not a solution to me. RIM recommends Eclipse 3.4 so I'm going to give that a stab and see what happens. I'm convinced it's the Blackberry JDE as I only have the problem when it is installed.

I'll report back with my findings.
Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Eclipse 3.5 [message #515420 is a reply to message #435538] Thu, 18 February 2010 17:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don Tucker is currently offline Don TuckerFriend
I have the same problem with 3.5 using the Qt Integration package. Sometimes I can restore keyboard input by selecting a different widget in the integrated Qt Designer Editor.

Don
Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Eclipse 3.5 [message #653768 is a reply to message #435538] Fri, 11 February 2011 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
I am also having similar problems with Eclipse 3.6.1. I have discovered the cause of the keyboard suddenly being locked out, but can't work out how to solve it.

My keyboard stops responding each time eclipse displays a popup (e.g. shows a tooltip, etc). Given that Eclipse editor uses a lot of tooltips, you can imagine how frequently my keyboard is locking up (is driving me quite insane). The only way I can get the keyboard to work again is by one of several methods:

1. Right mouse click to bring up mouse menu, then escape from that menu back into eclipse editor window.

2. Click any option in the 'Outline' window, then click back into the editor window.

3. Click into another program and then enter some text using the keyboard, then click back into Eclipse.

My configuration is that I am running a Linux Mint/Ubuntu guest on top of Win7 using Virtualbox.

If I can't fix this problem, I may have to give up on Linux and go back to Windows for my development environment Confused
Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Eclipse 3.5 [message #1668443 is a reply to message #653768] Thu, 12 March 2015 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anderson Ramalho is currently offline Anderson RamalhoFriend
I'm using Eclipse IDE Mars Milestone 5 (4.5.0M5) and my keyboard stopped working when I installed the language pack. So, I uninstalled and he come back working fine.
Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Eclipse 3.5 [message #1693941 is a reply to message #1668443] Wed, 29 April 2015 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antoine Benoit is currently offline Antoine BenoitFriend
Same problem here on Eclipse Luna (4.4.2) when I install the Babel Language Pack (in French).
Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Eclipse 3.5 [message #1694054 is a reply to message #1693941] Thu, 30 April 2015 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Hofmanns is currently offline Dirk HofmannsFriend
Same problem with Eclipse 3.6
Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Eclipse 3.5 [message #1694094 is a reply to message #1694054] Thu, 30 April 2015 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
If it's reproducible then please enter a bug against Babel: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs
Re: Keyboard doesn't work in Eclipse 3.5 [message #1837219 is a reply to message #435538] Mon, 25 January 2021 11:22 Go to previous message
Balazs Papp is currently offline Balazs PappFriend
I've got the same issue with

Eclipse Version: 2020-09 (4.17.0)
Build id: 20200910-1200
on CentOS8.2.
openjdk version "1.8.0_252"

The issue is not reproducible, doesn't happen frequently (once in a week), doesn't seem to be related with other programs.
Switching Project Explorer and/or Outline sometimes solves the issue, but nothing helps if both keyboard and mouse are blocked.
May be an Eclipse-GNOME issue(?)

My fix: after <CTRL>-<ALT>-<DEL> Eclipse throw up confirmation window, so I had the opportunity to save my work at least :)

Previous Topic:Error when installing eclipse
Next Topic:Remote System Explorer Connects, but File Listing Empty
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:21:23 GMT 2024