Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Rich Client Platform (RCP) » develop eclipse RCP app without eclipse IDE?
develop eclipse RCP app without eclipse IDE? [message #435068] Tue, 09 August 2005 21:53 Go to next message
joel is currently offline joelFriend
Has anyone had experience with general development
using the eclipse RCP as an application framework
but not using the eclipse IDE as your development
environment? We see the Eclipse RCP as an excellent
environment for our application. While eventually
we may transition over to eclipse as our development
environment in the short term we have good reasons
not to do so.

I was just wondering if anyone has gone down this
path and whether you have any advice, hints, or
tricks for working in some other IDE while building
RCP apps?

thanks,
joel
Re: develop eclipse RCP app without eclipse IDE? [message #435328 is a reply to message #435068] Sat, 13 August 2005 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex Blewitt is currently offline Alex BlewittFriend
Your best bet will be to load Eclipse, do the inital set up (especially fragment creation etc., packages, source folders) in the Eclipse install, and then use your favourite other editor to edit the source files. You're probably going to find it much easier to build-and-test in Eclipse though; but if you're looking to edit the files in another tool that's probably your best bet.

Either that, or re-create the plugin structures, manually edit the MANIFEST.MF files/plugin.xml files, and crank your own Ant/Maven scripts to build the plugins themselves ... but you will have a hard time debugging in another Java tool.

If you're serious about developing something as a RCP, your reasons really have to be very, very, very good as to why you're not using Eclipse to do so. And unless the other tool is IntelliJ/IDEA, then there's probably no valid reason why you shouldn't use Eclipse :-)
Re: develop eclipse RCP app without eclipse IDE? [message #435329 is a reply to message #435328] Sat, 13 August 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Burnette is currently offline Ed BurnetteFriend
I haven't tried it, but it's just Java and a few XML and properties files so it should be possible. However, the tooling that the Eclipse PDE provides is such a time saver that it would more than make up for any learning curve of the IDE itself.

One option to consider is to use Eclipse tools for creating and maintaining the Eclipse specific plug-in parts, and use something else for the jars that those parts use. Presumably they can be developed and tested independently of Eclipse since it sounds like they exist already in your projects.

Warning: prologed exposure to Eclipse will lead your team to become <em>Eclipse infected</em>. :)
Re: develop eclipse RCP app without eclipse IDE? [message #435353 is a reply to message #435328] Mon, 15 August 2005 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joel is currently offline joelFriend
Alex Blewitt wrote:
> And unless the other tool is IntelliJ/IDEA, then
> there's probably no valid reason why you shouldn't use Eclipse :-)

As it turns out, that's just what it is. So far, I'm just not
impressed with eclipse. That may change as I come to understand
it and java in general more. But for now IDEA is just an easier
environment.

joel
Re: develop eclipse RCP app without eclipse IDE? [message #1787366 is a reply to message #435328] Thu, 24 May 2018 07:03 Go to previous message
Rohit Patel is currently offline Rohit PatelFriend
As I want to build my RCP application automatically by using Jenkins after each change that I will made in code.

How can I build it, automatically without using eclipse?

I have written an maven script to build my jars but not the exe. I think eclipse runs a assembly script for that (As shown by eclipse in progress box).
Previous Topic:Unable to build RCP app using Tycho
Next Topic:java.lang.RuntimeException: Application could not be found in the registry
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 09:06:29 GMT 2024