Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Editor window layout (make scrollbars not blend over content)
Editor window layout (make scrollbars not blend over content) [message #1857117] Wed, 18 January 2023 11:19 Go to next message
Ravenous Bugblatterbeast is currently offline Ravenous BugblatterbeastFriend
Is it possible to change the layout of the editor in a way, that the scrollbars are permanently visible and do not blend over the content on mouse-over?

I am currently working on Ubuntu 22.04 with KDE
Eclipse version is C/C++ 2022-12 (4.26.0)
Re: Editor window layout (make scrollbars not blend over content) [message #1857120 is a reply to message #1857117] Wed, 18 January 2023 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Eclipse uses SWT which uses native widgets. So if that's what native widgets do in general on that OS then you can only configure it only if the OS itself lets you configure that...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Editor window layout (make scrollbars not blend over content) [message #1857122 is a reply to message #1857120] Wed, 18 January 2023 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see, thanks. It's seems to be a GTK+3 feature.

However, I don't see any of the native system tools using that feature. Native text editor (kate), file browser (dolphin) and cli (konsole) for example have all normal scrollbars. So does libreoffice and it looks as though they're using native widget set too.

Firefox on the other hand does use the same overlay scrollbars as eclipse uses. It looks good in firefox and I like it there, but I don't like it in a code editor window.

I will definitely look into it, to change it in the OS setting. Also I won't deny that I don't have much experience in UI/UX and I haven't worked with SWT before. It does seem strange though, that so few application would have those overlay scrollbars if they were the system default. It sounds totally reasonable, that this is a problem that has to do with my OS settings, but it does seem as if my OS's widget set provides both: traditional and modern overlay scrollbars.
Re: Editor window layout (make scrollbars not blend over content) [message #1857125 is a reply to message #1857122] Wed, 18 January 2023 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might have to reconsider what I've wrote in the last comment. It seems some KDE provides two native widget sets, one for Qt and one for GTK and only the GTK implementation has this auto-hide feature... I am still investigating this.
Re: Editor window layout (make scrollbars not blend over content) [message #1857126 is a reply to message #1857125] Wed, 18 January 2023 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Adding "export GTK_OVERLAY_SCROLLING=0" to ~/.profile solved the issue for me.
Re: Editor window layout (make scrollbars not blend over content) [message #1857127 is a reply to message #1857126] Wed, 18 January 2023 16:22 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Thank you for sharing your solution so that others my benefit from that insight in the future.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Shortcuts don't work in Eclipse
Next Topic:Tried to uninstall and reinstall, now there is an error midway through
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 22:21:22 GMT 2024