Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Automatic closing brace timing(Need help with Eclipse's timing of automatically adding a closing brace)
Automatic closing brace timing [message #1856774] Sat, 31 December 2022 17:24 Go to next message
Rob Grieshaber is currently offline Rob GrieshaberFriend
My apologies if this question has been addressed, but I've been searching the forums for some time.

When typing a construct that has a pair of braces (parentheses, curly braces, or whatever), when the opening brace is typed Eclipse automatically adds the closing brace, and that's wonderful. BUT ...

If I type the opening brace, Eclipse adds the closing brace, and if I immediately type the closing brace Eclipse leaves the cursor after that closing brace. But if I pause a moment before typing that closing brace, Eclipse adds that extra character, leaving the cursor before the closing brace that it added.
I think I'm explaining myself clearly, but please let me know if I'm not.
It doesn't take long for this to become irritating, especially when I'm trying some other editor or IDE and it doesn't have this issue. Of course, the other editor or IDE is ALWAYS lacking in something and I'm back to Eclipse :-)
Is there a setting for the timing of this behavior??
Re: Automatic closing brace timing [message #1856798 is a reply to message #1856774] Tue, 03 January 2023 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm not sure you can change the timing. I don't see a preference for that in Window -> Preferences -> Java -> Editor -> Typing which is where you could turn it off.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Automatic closing brace timing [message #1856809 is a reply to message #1856798] Tue, 03 January 2023 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting. There's a ton of settings, but I think you're right, I may be having to just adjust my typing to account for this. NOT a big deal, but I thought it was cheap to ask ;-). Thanks for your response!
Re: Automatic closing brace timing [message #1860492 is a reply to message #1856809] Wed, 09 August 2023 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will Beasley is currently offline Will BeasleyFriend
Hey,

I totally get what you mean Eclipse's auto-closing braces can sometimes be a bit overzealous. As far as I know, there's no direct setting to adjust the timing for this behavior. It's kind of like a double-tap thing if you're speedy, it might add an extra character.

But hey, don't let it bug you too much. Eclipse still has a lot going for it! If you ever find a workaround or get used to the rhythm, feel free to share. Happy coding!
Re: Automatic closing brace timing [message #1860495 is a reply to message #1860492] Thu, 10 August 2023 01:52 Go to previous message
Oh no, no worries about it bugging me that much. You're right, Eclipse has far too much going for it to let something like this discourage me. Thanks for the response, it's pretty much what I figured
Previous Topic:I want to contribute via GSoC 2023
Next Topic:Which Eclipse (to install) for Python?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:18:55 GMT 2024