Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Switching Applications(How do I swicth between applications)
Switching Applications [message #1856670] Wed, 21 December 2022 23:33 Go to next message
Norman Jessup is currently offline Norman JessupFriend
I have dabbled with Eclipse once or twice over the years, but never had the time (or expertise) to become proficient. By reading newsletters etc I can see that there are a number of Eclipse variants of potential interest for some projects I have in mind.

I'm aware that Eclipse has a modular architecture that facilitates the creation of many variants, with the associated projects having bespoke downloads to create the required environments.

What is not clear to me is how best to use these when I have perhaps two or three separate projects at the same time. My question therefore is in two parts:

(a) If I need to use another Eclipse project should I just download the installation package provided for that implementation of Eclipse? And what will that do to my existing Eclipse Installation?

(b) What is the best way to switch between Eclipse variants to ensure that the correct modules are loaded for the project I need to work on?

I'd appreciate some tips on how to go about this, or perhaps a pointer to some relevant documentation that covers the topic.

Thank you.
Re: Switching Applications [message #1856709 is a reply to message #1856670] Fri, 23 December 2022 16:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
All the things that you can download from here (or install with the installer):

https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/

are composed from things available in the "release train repository":

https://download.eclipse.org/releases/latest/

So you can install all the features you want into a single IDE if you wish and if that's convenient. Each Eclipse installation is independent from each other one. You can "install" as many different ones as you want, to different locations of course. I have literally hundreds of installations on my machine, because I work on the installer and test it often. Also, I generally create a specialized development environment and separate workspace for each project that I work on (several dozen), installing all the tools specifically needed for that project and a workspace containing the projects. There is no need to "switch" between them. I run them simultaneously. You can also launch a single IDE to work with multiple different workspaces simultaneously.

I don't think there is one best way. Whatever works best for you personally is best...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Switching Applications [message #1856764 is a reply to message #1856709] Thu, 29 December 2022 16:11 Go to previous message
Norman Jessup is currently offline Norman JessupFriend
Thanks Ed.
Previous Topic:Eclipse ignoring the git hooks
Next Topic:Word auto-complete and same variable highlighted
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 08:51:26 GMT 2024