Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Error updating Eclipse IDE for Java Developers on Eclipse 2022-06
Error updating Eclipse IDE for Java Developers on Eclipse 2022-06 [message #1855129] Thu, 29 September 2022 11:26 Go to next message
Pablo Gallardo is currently offline Pablo GallardoFriend
I am running Eclipse 2022-06 (4.24.0) on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS.

When I open Eclipse and then go to menu bar > Help > Check for Updates, there is an update for Eclipse IDE for Java Developers. If I try to install this update, I get an error.

The error dialog says:

'Update Software' has encountered a problem.
An error occurred while uninstalling

If I see the details, I find the following text:

An error occurred while uninstalling
session context was:(profile=epp.package.java, phase=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.engine.phases.Uninstall, operand=[R]org.eclipse.rcp_root 4.24.0.v20220607-0700 --> null, action=org.eclipse.equinox.internal.p2.touchpoint.natives.actions.CleanupzipAction).
Backup of file /snap/eclipse/61/readme/readme_eclipse.html failed.
/snap/eclipse/61/readme/readme_eclipse.html: Read-only file system

I would appreciate any help.
Re: Error updating Eclipse IDE for Java Developers on Eclipse 2022-06 [message #1855143 is a reply to message #1855129] Thu, 29 September 2022 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
How did you create this installation initially? With the installer? Or unpacking the tar.gz? If you used the installer, did you install to a read-only location at that time? You should read the details here if you are trying to use the installer to create a read-only installation:

https://www.eclipse.org/setups/installer/question/

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Error updating Eclipse IDE for Java Developers on Eclipse 2022-06 [message #1855146 is a reply to message #1855129] Thu, 29 September 2022 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

This looks like a Snap application, which like it says is read-only. The only tested update path for it is an updated version of the Snap app.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Error updating Eclipse IDE for Java Developers on Eclipse 2022-06 [message #1855149 is a reply to message #1855146] Thu, 29 September 2022 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
It seems that the OP has taken Eclipse from the Ubuntu repository which prefers to use snap.

If I were the OP, I would jettison the installation using snap, download the Eclipse installer and re-install the Eclipse setup using the installer.

The snap package will continue to be a pain in the ... lower back.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Error updating Eclipse IDE for Java Developers on Eclipse 2022-06 [message #1855193 is a reply to message #1855143] Fri, 30 September 2022 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Many thanks for all the replies.

Ed Merks wrote on Thu, 29 September 2022 14:44
How did you create this installation initially? With the installer? Or unpacking the tar.gz? If you used the installer, did you install to a read-only location at that time?

I needed to review it, but I installed using snap (as Nithyn guessed) with this command from the terminal:
sudo snap install --classic eclipse

Maybe this is a more general question, but what should be the right way to install Eclipse? I consider the following ways:

apt: I read that its use is not recommended in the case of Eclipse because it does not support official PPAs, so its versions are outdated. I guess there is a reason, but why to make things so complicated to final users?
    snap: the one I used, and it is giving me issues.
    Official package: in general I want to avoid them because they involve more manual steps and in case I screw it up, it is more difficult to fix or revert. It happened to me in the past with another application.

Re: Error updating Eclipse IDE for Java Developers on Eclipse 2022-06 [message #1855200 is a reply to message #1855193] Fri, 30 September 2022 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
I'm running Ubuntu 22.04LTS, and my Eclipse is installed using the Eclipse installer from Eclipse website <https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/packages/installer>.

It checks your Java for compatibility and sets up Eclipse properly.

The steps are:

1. Download the installer for your system (probably linux-x86-64).
2. Unzip the installer tar-gzip:
tar -xzvf eclipse-inst-jre-linux64.tar.gz
3. Run the installer:
eclipse-installer/eclipse-inst&
4. Click the menu icon of three bars at right top corner
5. If there is a menu entry for updating, click it
6. Use the updated installer to install your favorite Eclipse setup.

--

Tauno Voipio
Re: Error updating Eclipse IDE for Java Developers on Eclipse 2022-06 [message #1855207 is a reply to message #1855200] Fri, 30 September 2022 23:04 Go to previous message
Thanks Tauno. I will opt to install Eclipse from official package instead snap to avoid any further issues.
Previous Topic:Education and Training
Next Topic:How to use APP4MC.sim
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:47:06 GMT 2024