Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BPMN 2.0 Modeler » Does BPMN Editor generate invalid UniqueId? (id attribute in XML file)(id attribute in XML file is no valid NCName. JBPM refuses to accept.)
Does BPMN Editor generate invalid UniqueId? (id attribute in XML file) [message #1855017] Fri, 23 September 2022 14:32 Go to next message
Karl Degen is currently offline Karl DegenFriend
When creating a BPMN Model, the editor generates for each element the UniqueId in the model. UniqueId becomes the id attribute in the corresponding XML file.

When loading such a file into KIE JBPM, the XML parser throws an error, because some id attributes are no valid NCName fields.

(Parser in my case is com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.impl.xs.XMLSchemaValidator.class of Zulu JDK 17 jrt-fs.jar.)

This is treated an error, because a NCName must start with an letter as first character, not a digit. So, if I search&replace all such occurances, everything is fine.

Example from BPMN-XML file
    <scriptTask id="1aa064d1-a6e2-4dae-823e-eb6ac8c966bd" name="Script" scriptFormat="some URL here" >
      <script>System.out.println("Hello World!");</script>
    </scriptTask>

When I add a prefix liek "id-" to the invalid id "1aa064d1-a6...." the problem is gone.

What's wrong with Eclipse BPMN Editor, or is Red Hat JBPM the problem because it validates against different XSD?
Re: Does BPMN Editor generate invalid UniqueId? (id attribute in XML file) [message #1855025 is a reply to message #1855017] Sat, 24 September 2022 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ralph Soika is currently offline Ralph SoikaFriend
Hi,
this is an interesting observation. I double checked this in the BPMN Specification (chapter 8.2.1). The ID attribute is defined as String and is not restricted to a specific number/char format.
So it may always happen if you exchange BPMN files between different editors the ID can start with a letter or a number.
This seems to be an issue in the JBPM implementation. Can you rise this as an issue to the JBPM Team? JBPM is using Eclipse BPMN too.

===
Ralph
Re: Does BPMN Editor generate invalid UniqueId? (id attribute in XML file) [message #1855046 is a reply to message #1855025] Mon, 26 September 2022 07:33 Go to previous message
Karl Degen is currently offline Karl DegenFriend
Problem really resolved??? JBOSS vs. Red Hat ???

There are two ways to intall plugins for JBPM editing:

My first thy from my message above: Eclipse tools from update site "JBPM 7.48.0.Final - https://downloads.jboss.org/jbpm/release/7.48.0.Final/updatesite/"
These plugins produce the problem I described above.
index.php/fa/42531/0/

My second try: using the plugins from "Red Hat Business Process and Rules Development (BPEL, BPMN2, jBPM, Drools) - https://devstudio.redhat.com/12/stable/composite/integration-stack/12.11.0.GA/"
This Time the editor looks different and does not produce the wrong id attributes of BPMN diagram nodes.
index.php/fa/42532/0/

So, JBOSS and Red Hat and JBPM are related, aren't they? Whats wrong? Why does the original JBPM editor not work? I will try to raise a bug ticket at jBPM.
Previous Topic:BPMN model
Next Topic:Subprocess issue on opening
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 17:55:07 GMT 2024