Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » e(fx)clipse » Nightly Runtime now on 2022-09 - Please test your apps
Nightly Runtime now on 2022-09 - Please test your apps [message #1854987] Thu, 22 September 2022 07:29 Go to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
Hi,

Yesterday we updated our Runtime-Build to use 2022-09. Please check your applications and report any problems ASAP. We've tested with large in house applications and all worked fine but who knows.

Tom
Re: Nightly Runtime now on 2022-09 - Please test your apps [message #1855028 is a reply to message #1854987] Sat, 24 September 2022 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephane  fournier is currently offline Stephane fournierFriend
Hi Tom,
Just updated to this new runtime, looks good to me.

By the way, did you have a time to look at this issue (https://github.com/eclipse-efx/efxclipse-rt/issues/448) please ?
I have just checked the behavior with OpenJFX 17.0.2 or 19.
In fact, the performance / splash Screen issue described in the ticket is visible once your app is built and launched from macOS Launch bar or Application folder.
From Eclipse IDE, the performance are the same ones as previously.

Does anyone can test it on another OS (win or Linux) please ?
Maybe it is linked to macOS platform only since startup thread is not managed in the same way (see E4MainThreadApplication class)

[Updated on: Sat, 24 September 2022 16:16]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Nightly Runtime now on 2022-09 - Please test your apps [message #1855090 is a reply to message #1855028] Wed, 28 September 2022 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas Schindl is currently offline Thomas SchindlFriend
I've pushed a potential fix - which hopefully improves the problem but there's not much more I can do - BTW I assume you use "NativeSplashStartupService" or a custom implementation who hides the Splash-Screen only once the "TOPIC_WINDOW_SHOWN" is delivered!
Re: Nightly Runtime now on 2022-09 - Please test your apps [message #1855138 is a reply to message #1855090] Thu, 29 September 2022 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Tom,
Thank you for your support I will retest asap.
I did not configure something to use a specific Splash Service.
I'm running with the default one out of the box which is : DefaultStartupProgressTrackerService and not NativeSplashStartupService

I can switch to Native to see the difference but it is not the only issue.
In MyApp I prompt a JavaFx Dialog before the workbench is created.

With EFX 3.9.0 (latest) + OpenJFX > 15.0.1 (I tested with 19): Dialog is displayed in background, I have to minimize to retrieve it. With OpenJFX 11 to 15.0.1 included, I don't have this behavior.
Then I would say the issue is not only about Splash screen but window management before the workbench is created and displayed.

My Application class extends E4MainThreadApplication and overrides
public boolean initE4Workbench(ApplicationContext context, Application jfxApplication, Stage primaryStage) {} 
to display first this Dialog, gets credentials then continue by calling super.initE4Workbench(...)

In your in-house apps, what version of OpenJFX and OS (win, linux, macOS) are you running please with EFX 3.9.0 ? Do you face similar issue ?

Stéphane.

Thomas Schindl wrote on Wed, 28 September 2022 10:58
I've pushed a potential fix - which hopefully improves the problem but there's not much more I can do - BTW I assume you use "NativeSplashStartupService" or a custom implementation who hides the Splash-Screen only once the "TOPIC_WINDOW_SHOWN" is delivered!

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2022 20:02]

Re: Nightly Runtime now on 2022-09 - Please test your apps [message #1855151 is a reply to message #1855138] Thu, 29 September 2022 21:03 Go to previous message
Hi,

Replacing DefaultStartupProgressTrackerService by NativeSplashStartupService fixed splash screen issue and credentials dialog background issue.
To do that you have to declare a service component with a higher ranking than 0.

The last thing is the startup time has double from 6s to 12s (in my use case).
With OpenJFX from 11 to 15.0.1, startup time was similar.
I got this startup time increased as of OpenJFX 16.

Has anyone seen degraded performances with OpenJFX > 15 at startup or later ?

Stéphane.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2022 21:04]

Previous Topic:Update site for 3.9.0?
Next Topic:error concerning jfx: Graphics Device initialization failed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:57:57 GMT 2024