Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » After BSOD Eclipse doesn't start anymore and keeps crashing on startup(Actually Windows error occuried when I closed Eclipse and it badly saved workspace. I guess it is due to OS BSOD. Or vice versa.)
After BSOD Eclipse doesn't start anymore and keeps crashing on startup [message #1854874] Thu, 15 September 2022 22:51 Go to next message
Tomas Mockaitis is currently offline Tomas MockaitisFriend
I was running Spring boot on console and frontend on Visual Studio Code. I decided to end coding and started to save and close my code. I haven't saved Eclipse Spring boot code. It was already good. But I saved React.js code and also logged out from the website. Spring in Eclipse console registered my logging out of a website application. It runs with Spring security.
Then I pressed red square button to stop the console terminal Spring container. And as soon as I pressed computer crashed. It entered into Blue Screen Of Death BSOD. I don't remember what was the code. But I believe there is dump file deep inside in Windows directories. And I'm on Windows 10 Pro.
In memory many applications run, for example Discord where I get help about coding from java and React channels. Also browser running many tabs.
But I have many RAM - 32 GB.

After computer restarted I decided to check whether everything still runs as before. And it seems that not. I tried to launch Eclipse IDE again. And it couldn't launch anymore. Instead I got a dialog box telling me to check the log file.
I am using Eclipse 2022-03.
I'm including a file [zip] for you to check logs and to see an image.
the last log message explains what is going on and what might cause problems.
Check the last `!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2022-09-16 01:27:56.476` message, And messages close to that date. At the same day and close hours.
I don't really know why it doesn't launch anymore. But I hope that you can explain me what's the problem and how can I solve it.

[Updated on: Fri, 16 September 2022 09:11]

Report message to a moderator

Re: After BSOD Eclipse doesn't start anymore and keeps crashing on startup [message #1854887 is a reply to message #1854874] Fri, 16 September 2022 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It looks to me like something in your workspace is corrupted:
Incompatible file format. Workspace was saved with an incompatible version: 0.

I would start with a fresh new workspace and use File -> Import -> Existing Projects into Workspace and locate folder where your projects are located for the "Select root directory". Note the "Copy projects into workspace" checkbox; If you're used to having the projects physically nested in the workspace, you'll probably want to copy them from the old workspace to the new one.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: After BSOD Eclipse doesn't start anymore and keeps crashing on startup [message #1854900 is a reply to message #1854887] Fri, 16 September 2022 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomas Mockaitis is currently offline Tomas MockaitisFriend
I've renamed
C:\Users\kompas\eclipse-workspace\.metadata
to
C:\Users\kompas\eclipse-workspace\.old-metadata

And then Eclipse launched. It created new .metadata directory. I have set Eclipse dark theme again. And imported my projects. Though I keep my important projects in completely different directory and not in workspace.

But what is wrong with old metadata? Why it got corrupted itself? Did it happened because of the BSOD operating system error? Or the OS error BSOD was the result of wrong Eclipse metadata saving? Or these two things are unrelated?
Re: After BSOD Eclipse doesn't start anymore and keeps crashing on startup [message #1854906 is a reply to message #1854900] Sat, 17 September 2022 05:51 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Sorry, I don't know what specifically corrupted it. If the computer crashed while some important workspace files were only partially saved that would be a problem.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Eclipse 2022-09 no "import existing maven project"
Next Topic:Request access to the rest of the forums
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:01:50 GMT 2024