Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » Replacement for Xtend code generation
Replacement for Xtend code generation [message #1854337] Mon, 15 August 2022 08:33 Go to next message
Fiona Ball is currently offline Fiona BallFriend
Hey,

I´m looking for a replacement for the Xtend code generation, since this project could loose it´s support some day. For now I´m staying with Xtend just looking for a replacement in case the support will no longer be upheld.

Is there anyone here that knows some alternatives?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Re: Replacement for Xtend code generation [message #1854354 is a reply to message #1854337] Mon, 15 August 2022 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Within Eclipse you have two alternatives.

a) Acceleo has the advantage that it complies with an OMG standard, but is sadly further down the "in danger of losing support" than Xtend. It lacks the easy intermixing of Java/Xtend. Integration with Maven seems to defeat many users. I used to copy a manual build to GIT.

b) JET is really vintage, but is a critical part of EMF's code generation, and as such has comparatively recently gained an Xtext editor. JET is a previous generation to Xtend/Acceleo but is the most likely to survive. The JET builder has a variety of dynamic/IDE modes that can be confusing.

However Xtend is implemented as a translator to Java, so even if Xtend vanishes, you have the option of a final translation and then defining the auto-generated Java as primary sources thereafter.

Personally I prefer a mix of limited Xtend string templates layered on primarily Java support 'libraries'. This reduces the amount to revamp if the no-Xtend day comes, and also reduces the amount of code where I have to workaround the poor debugger/refactor/... support typical of JDT extending tools where the developers lack the skill/enthusiasm/public-access to fully emulate JDT. (Even the JDT developers fail to support new Java features such as lambdas adequately.).

Regards

Ed Willink

[Updated on: Tue, 16 August 2022 06:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Replacement for Xtend code generation [message #1854364 is a reply to message #1854354] Tue, 16 August 2022 08:15 Go to previous message
Fiona Ball is currently offline Fiona BallFriend
Hey,

Thank you so much for your quick help.

I will look over these alternatives and decide for one!

Kind Regards

Fiona
Previous Topic:Matching Unicode category in terminal rules
Next Topic:Use external Metamodel as library
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:38:25 GMT 2024